Search

Tamiya DF-03Ra

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yar, all shaved up, seems ok now.

are the alloy ones a smaller diameter?

Also, what's the internal ratio, don't have my manual handy.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mcdogboy
yar, all shaved up, seems ok now.

are the alloy ones a smaller diameter?

Also, what's the internal ratio, don't have my manual handy.
I don't know, because as I said I didn't bother, but being machinned one would imagine they don't have any wobble, so one variable is taken out of the equation. They don't need that much meat either, aluminium being stronger (keeps its shape better than plastic) so I would hope they're that little bit smaller.

You can find the manual on Tamiya's website.

Last edited by niznai; 09-11-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

All sorted now, 'tis a nice machine.

Put the 5.5T in and it's a rocket, can't wait for the rain to stop and try it on the dirt
Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

5.5T is too much.

Fun, in a clenched buttocks kind of way.

Haven't broken anything yet, the drive train seems to cope with the power well.

Love the stock tyres, good on gravel, good on concrete/tarmac too, don't wear as quick as I had feared.

Have run it with drift and TC tyres, very impressed with this multi-purpose machine.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Rookie

5.5T is too much.

Fun, in a clenched buttocks kind of way.

Haven't broken anything yet, the drive train seems to cope with the power well.

Love the stock tyres, good on gravel, good on concrete/tarmac too, don't wear as quick as I had feared.

Have run it with drift and TC tyres, very impressed with this multi-purpose machine.
wow 5.5T nuts! so i JUST found out about this car tonight and really want to get it cause the E10 IS ABSOLUTELY CRAP. So this DF-03Ra comes in a kit right? which means you got to put it together....did you find it difficult?

i really want to put my 9T motor in cause the e10 cant take it!

whats the chances of you uploading pics and vids of your beast 5.5T?

thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

It's a tamiya kit, and typical of thier quality of bits and manual, very good.

Took me an evening to build the car, took longer than that to finish the body, 100+ stickers and I'm still not done, there is another day's painting/stickering on the driver/navigator that I have to do still.

No photos/vids, maybe later.

The Castrol Celica body is brilliant, man it brings back memories, almost afraid to run it it looks that good with a plain white paintjob and the plethora of stickers.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Initiate

It's a tamiya kit, and typical of thier quality of bits and manual, very good.

Took me an evening to build the car, took longer than that to finish the body, 100+ stickers and I'm still not done, there is another day's painting/stickering on the driver/navigator that I have to do still.

No photos/vids, maybe later.

The Castrol Celica body is brilliant, man it brings back memories, almost afraid to run it it looks that good with a plain white paintjob and the plethora of stickers.
Just got mine all done last night. I went buck wild with the Option Part upgrades. Everything from TRF shocks to ceramic balls. It's a nice little car that handles very well. Only dissappointment really was the ease at which I stripped out the servo mounting posts--really disappoints because it was the only flaw in the build that was otherwise pretty good. I also replaced the crap Tamiya screws with hex heads.

The body ('08 Subaru STI) and decals are gorgeous and super high quality (the best I've ever seen).

I'll be honest though, I yearn for a similar type car on a higher end chassis though.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would you guys recommend this car for someone who wants to drive on asphalt and a little bit of dirt?
Will a brushless system work on it?
Also, are there any newer looking Impreza bodies that will fit on this?

What servo/horns do I need for this?

Last edited by clamber; 09-15-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Seems to handle brushless just fine, I reackon a 10.5 would be perfect.

Only hop ups I got from the get go are unis (I always get unis) and slipper clutch, though I have ordered the aluminium prop joints/steering for a bit more precision.

Gonna leave the rest I think, the flexible plastic towers and arms are probably a good thing on this car.

Clamber: Yeah, I think it would eb an ideal basher for asphalt and dirt, seems pretty bulletproof to me, Have put about 10 packs through it with a 5.5 turn, no issues yet.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Seems to handle brushless just fine, I reackon a 10.5 would be perfect.

Only hop ups I got from the get go are unis (I always get unis) and slipper clutch, though I have ordered the aluminium prop joints/steering for a bit more precision.

Gonna leave the rest I think, the flexible plastic towers and arms are probably a good thing on this car.

Clamber: Yeah, I think it would eb an ideal basher for asphalt and dirt, seems pretty bulletproof to me, Have put about 10 packs through it with a 5.5 turn, no issues yet.
Awesome. What are "unis" and where can I get the slipper clutch for this car?

Also, would a CC Sidewinder 5700kv do alright in it?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

By unis I mean universal shafts (Tamiya 53792), I hate dog bones, I tend to get most bits from rcmart.

They 5700kv will be too much power, but that's a good thing, right
Old 09-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by clamber
Awesome. What are "unis" and where can I get the slipper clutch for this car?

Also, would a CC Sidewinder 5700kv do alright in it?
Do a search. Check the tamiya america website as a start for the hop up part numbers. Some of them aren't listed there though. You'll have to do some internet searching to figure out the correct part numbers.

The hop ups I have (and yes, I know, some of them are ridiculous for a car like this, but that's just how I like to build them and its all ULTRA-functional--I don't just buy this stuff to show off)
TRF shocks (very very very nice)
Tamiya universals all around
Tamiya aluminum steering rod
Tamiya aluminum propeller cups
Tamiya fluorine coated ball joints
Tamiya slipper kit
Tamiya blue motor plate
Tamiya motor heatsink
Tamiya aluminum battery pin
Tamiya metal touring car hexes
Tamiya clear blue gear cover
Acer ceramic bearing kit (yes I know, ridiculous)
Acer ceramic balls for both diffs and thrust bearings (which I made myself)
3Racing 3x18mm titanium tie rods
Tony's Screws Hex head screw kit
Mamba Max ESC with Mamba 5700kV motor
JR Z9100S Ultra Hi-Speed Servo (again, this part is almost as expensive as the whole car )

The stock servo saver will fit any servo out there. It is prtetty sloppy though. I *tried* using the Tamiya High Torque servo saver in combination with a blue Tamiya aluminum steering horn, but the Hi-Torque servo saver doesn't fit my JR servo, even though I am using the one marked for JR servos. For some reason the stock servo saver for the JR servo fit. Go figure, the crappy one fits. I am going to ask Tamiya America to sort this out. That was one expensive little servo horn damnit!

IMO, the mamba 5700 is perfect for this car if you set it up right (diffs fairly tight, slipper not tightened all the way down, use a small pinion gear) and use some *common sense* on the throttle, especially on high grip surfaces. I would also turn up punch control on the Mamba to like 30% or more to be extra safe if you are worried about the drive train and just can't keep from giving full throttle 100% of the time.

Last edited by Nautilus; 09-16-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hi all, Looking at buying one of these for (1) to re-live the Rally days of my old TB01. Hopefully Tamiya will re-issue the Evo 6 or 7 body for me. And for (2) to strap some HPI Vintage tyres on it and go Vintage TA racing.

The issues I have is that I test fitted my Lipo batteries into a DF03 buggy and the tubes on the the Intellect battery don't sit where the holes in the chassis are. On the buggy it would be a complete no go because it is exactly where the body mounting posts are, but with the Rally, I'm thinking I could dremel out the holes bigger so I could fit the corally plug leads through to the battery. I would lose the option of fitting a buggy body as an inner cover though I presume.

Can anyone see any problems or issues?

Cheers

Originally Posted by MatsNorway

Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
[...]

The issues I have is that I test fitted my Lipo batteries into a DF03 buggy and the tubes on the the Intellect battery don't sit where the holes in the chassis are. On the buggy it would be a complete no go because it is exactly where the body mounting posts are, but with the Rally, I'm thinking I could dremel out the holes bigger so I could fit the corally plug leads through to the battery. I would lose the option of fitting a buggy body as an inner cover though I presume.

Can anyone see any problems or issues?

Cheers
While I don't necessarily see a problem, I don't like dremeling anything. I have explained (I think) this further back in this thread (or another one, can't remember). You can fit the 3800mAh Orion lipo in the DF03 chassis if you get the corally plugs and solder the wires absolutely flat (at 90 degrees to the plug). Alternativley you can get some lipo meant to fit the mini chassies from Tamiya (they have round edges) which come with their own wires coming out at the top of the battery.

I use the orion in both my buggy and rally cars this way.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
While I don't necessarily see a problem, I don't like dremeling anything. I have explained (I think) this further back in this thread (or another one, can't remember). You can fit the 3800mAh Orion lipo in the DF03 chassis if you get the corally plugs and solder the wires absolutely flat (at 90 degrees to the plug). Alternativley you can get some lipo meant to fit the mini chassies from Tamiya (they have round edges) which come with their own wires coming out at the top of the battery.

I use the orion in both my buggy and rally cars this way.

Thanks Niznai, I don't like to do it either, and hey I just thought I actually bought two "stick pack" lipos for my M05. Was going to sell them with the Minis but maybe I keep them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.