Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing Prime

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Losing Prime

Hey all I am new to Nitro R/C. Since I was 10 years old I have been into electric vehicles. Cars, Trucks, and Helicopters. I just bought a fairly inexpensive r/c nitro truck called the Sportwerks Reaction 2WD stadium truck with the .12sb engine. The truck runs great as I have been following the break in instructions the manual calls for. Although the truck keeps losing prime, I have examined the fuel line and there are no cracks in it, the carb is tight and the cap on the tank has a tight o-ring. Can anyone help me to figure out where I may be having problems. I have a hunch that maybe that since the truck only loses prime when the tank gets about half way the fuel is getting shook up and it is picking up air into the line... Thanks for your time in reading this message...Vinny
Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Did you check the return tube to the gas tank. It could be loose or have a kink.

double check the the tank seal.

double check the carb seal.

double check the back plate

double check the head.

just some Ideas
Old 10-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

check your pipe see if there are any leaks around where the engine connects to the pipe or from the manifold to the pipe, if there is a leak replace the rubber seal.and maybe if you checked this check the nipples to the pressure ine or the nipple on the tank. just some suggestions.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Not sure about the Sporwerks pipe but on the Losi XXXNT RTR the pressure line has no nipple - it slides down into the pipe through a hole. If this is the case make sure you cut the end off at an angle or the line can actually push flat against the inside of the pipe if its in too far. Try pulling it out 1/4 inch and see if that helps.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All the replys are good things to look at so far and I have one other that might sound strange but is worth looking into.

I had the same issue with an 1/8 scale buggy so I thought, replaced fuel lines, fuel tank, checked all areas for air leaks and nothing. On a last ditch idea I tried a different fuel and problem went away in an instant.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Check the pickup inside the tank. It could be loose or cracked somwhere. My guess is (if there is something wrong in there) that since the tank is half full when it cuts off, the pickup tube is damaged about halfway up. If there is such a thing, i dont know much about the tank in your car. Hope it helps