Recycle tires?

Old 09-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Recycle tires?

Can the rubber of tires be recycled? Obviously not by us, but by tire manufacturers?

When the tread is worn, there is still 95+ percent of the actual rubber left...except that its bald

Maybe Proline, Panther, AKA or anyone other manufacturer can take our bald tires, refine them back into raw material, and mold new ones... and give us a discount on a fresh set?

Just a thought. I'm not sure how tires are made.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ive nevr heard of any company doing that. but i think that woud be a great thing that they could do. with all the recycle help the earth stuff around i would think a company might in the future
Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You got me thinking now, we should start a retreading company...
Old 09-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

That would be hard to do. A good idea though. Maybe something to do with the tracks. They could then send in a bunch at once. Maybe the track could give a little credit for em. That might work. But think of the cost to ship them in for a sigle person!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah but we could have products like proline sidewalls with grp or losi treads, or aka sidewalls and vise versa... I have no idea what that would to but you could market them easily!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:31 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I seriously wish there was some sort of program. I'm not a total Greenie, but every time I throw away a set of tires, a split a-arm or even a blown glow plug, my inner "tree hugging, dirt worshipping hippy" cries a little

I wonder if I can just ditch the tires at the local tire shop; they recycle theirs. There's obviously different types of rubber, but I don't think it matters with the recycling.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Yea, someone start a new company Called GreenSkins
and sell re-capped, re-cycled tires. Come up with some
cool names for them, like RE-BOWS, CRIME SKINS or other
off the wall logos.LMAO. I like to use a set of worn out truggie
tires to run on pavement, when I'm breaking in my motors or
dialing in a good tune before hitting the track.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Very interesting idea. Im sure no company would participate in it, even though it would be good for the environment. I send my old treadz out in my recycle bin and so far they have always taken them.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Even if I could donate them to a company that does field turf so they could be ground into nuggets and used on an athletic field. Anything is better than sitting in a landfill.

Do any of you bother to strip old rubber off wheels and remount new stuff or do you trash the whole package?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I'm a serious cheapskate. If the rims are even remotely use-able, they're keepers as far as I'm concerned...
Old 09-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0adman
Even if I could donate them to a company that does field turf so they could be ground into nuggets and used on an athletic field. Anything is better than sitting in a landfill.

Do any of you bother to strip old rubber off wheels and remount new stuff or do you trash the whole package?
I always cut old rubber off my wheels... If the wheels arent in good enough shape for me to run again [im really anal about how pretty my stuff is] I give them away to another racer at the track. Old tires I put in the recycle bin too.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Another way to look at it is you would need a lot of them together to ship just so the fuel and wear and tear in the transportation does not outweigh any minor benefit gained from recycling the tires.

Now recapping could be fun tho. Lets see, I need a bowtie center, mini pins on the outside edge with a gator inside pattern. If we could only figure out a way to keep it light weight.

Ed M.