STS World Class Engines Thread!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS World Class Engines Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

The other option is to use a colder plug instead of adding another head shim.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its its pre detonating the fuel, it will make a "pinging" noise.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

does anyone know where there is a manual online or somthing for a STS D30M, i want to know the standard needle settings etc etc, mine has heaps of comression (on the gallon mark), and it idles but the compression like takes over and stops the motor tdc, if anyone has any solutions or anything, i would be very thankful,

Cheers
Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TTR:EB4
does anyone know where there is a manual online or somthing for a STS D30M, i want to know the standard needle settings etc etc, mine has heaps of comression (on the gallon mark), and it idles but the compression like takes over and stops the motor tdc, if anyone has any solutions or anything, i would be very thankful,

Cheers
Mike
Sounds like it just still not fully broken in, run it hot for a few tanks, like 200-220, wrap the cooling head to keep temps up, you should be good to go after a few tanks
Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

thanks mate, will do
Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Sounds like it just still not fully broken in, run it hot for a few tanks, like 200-220, wrap the cooling head to keep temps up, you should be good to go after a few tanks
you can run them considerably hotter than that....like 265 or so. I've got several and never had a problem with my personal ones....yet. I use the D30M and D28 for my Savages and bashers because they are cheap power. A buddy of mine was a dealer some time back when they first hit the market so I was able to get a handful of them cheap along with all the parts I'll ever need....plus some. We put these motors through hell just to see what would make them fail and where they ran the best and to be honest the 30 likes to run on the hot side. We were definitely able to find the weaknesses in these due to the build quality but we basically came to the conclusion that they are a disposable motor.....in other words its not worth the money to rebuild them and you just hope to get as many gallons as possible out of it. I'm by no means a cheerleader for STS but I've dealt with quite a few of them and they have a few pro's to go along with that long list of con's....LOL

If you still need base settings you can shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help out.

and Sam-E....dude.....ya gotta change your signature man cuz that ain't gonna get you any respect around here.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Maximum Respect Sam-E
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

I'm just confused with how your signature says that STS is the off-road world champion?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
I'm just confused with how your signature says that STS is the off-road world champion?
Thats what i was wondering... LoL
Old 09-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by matt_xb8r
you can run them considerably hotter than that....like 265 or so. I've got several and never had a problem with my personal ones....yet. I use the D30M and D28 for my Savages and bashers because they are cheap power. A buddy of mine was a dealer some time back when they first hit the market so I was able to get a handful of them cheap along with all the parts I'll ever need....plus some. We put these motors through hell just to see what would make them fail and where they ran the best and to be honest the 30 likes to run on the hot side. We were definitely able to find the weaknesses in these due to the build quality but we basically came to the conclusion that they are a disposable motor.....in other words its not worth the money to rebuild them and you just hope to get as many gallons as possible out of it. I'm by no means a cheerleader for STS but I've dealt with quite a few of them and they have a few pro's to go along with that long list of con's....LOL

If you still need base settings you can shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help out.

and Sam-E....dude.....ya gotta change your signature man cuz that ain't gonna get you any respect around here.
I was hoping to not have him losing his compression by running any hotter than that, he seems to just have that new engine pinch, and I think it best to just free it up a bit, and not have it sit so loose that he loses any power, but you seem to have more experience with the STS engine, so if it worked for you it may work for him also. I think it may be a little overboard to go past 250 degrees though
Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

This is the best thread on this site lol. The only one I actually had a smile on my face from start to finish. I have modded a few STS's before and I'm not sure if I got the only 5 bad ones in existince or if they are just junk (I think most of us know the answer to that one . We first started out with the D21B and after a 2 tank break in (in which we managed to lose all mechanical pinch during) we hit the track. The motor ran decent for the 4 laps it was out there until the carb slide decided to exit the scene. The new carb we threw on worked great until the motor popped the crank ending it's short 13 minute career. The next motor was the team version with the turbo plug and the port configuration was a disaster. Ports were either off center or shouldn't have been there in the first place, the motor ran well but wouldn't hold a tune due to air leaks from just about every orfice an engine has so it ended up back in the tool box. Then it was on the the .28's and after we cracked 2 sleeves on 2 different engines and breaking the skirt off the piston on the 3rd, we canned the whole STS deal bringing us back to square one. That all happened within about 6 weeks. Three guys using 5 different engine all ending in a pitiful and miserable death. Other than that the motors are great
Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
I think Sam and rat need to get a room.
why not be in it wingracer? you seem like a pretty brainy kid
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I was hoping to not have him losing his compression by running any hotter than that, he seems to just have that new engine pinch, and I think it best to just free it up a bit, and not have it sit so loose that he loses any power, but you seem to have more experience with the STS engine, so if it worked for you it may work for him also. I think it may be a little overboard to go past 250 degrees though
Its all good man, and either way will probably run it in fine. I had to put a gallon through my first one before it ran good so on all my others I "lapped" in the piston and sleeve with a compound then put it back together. I think everyone that's ever used one of these knows they had a few production runs where the pinch was entirely too tight. So I just use compound to shorten break in and save me from replacing the rod or the crank. Also, make sure you seal it up......most of these leak like crazy and it makes for a tuning nightmare.

Just as a side note, modding one of these is a waste of time in my opinion. They make decent power in stock form and if you go modding it the crank or rod will just break quicker. These aren't really made to mod in that they are just cheap power and not made to do more than they do in stock form. I've use a D5R (which is a .12) as well and I wouldn't touch it either. I've never used a .21 from STS so I can't speak to how they would be.

Last edited by matt_xb8r; 10-01-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Lord

Hey Sam, Can you honestly tell us why you seem to be the only person alive who thinks these are good engines? I personally have never heard of them, and from what I'm reading from other peoples experience they are crap. But, You seem to love them and I cannot figure out why that is? I am not trying to blast you or sound like a jerk, as I am truly curious why it is that you think these engines are so great? Have you tried any other engine? I can tell you from experience that Ofna's Hyper .21 8-port is actually a top-notch engine that is right in the same price range. I use them for practice, and they are beasts, with awesome power, easy to tune, fast as hell, and they last 8-12 gallons. I just want to know why you are so hyped on these STS engines that everyone else thinks is crap? Give me some examples, and reasons why you like em so much
Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

well if you leaned it out for a little better performance doesn't it run a little hotter than normal due to the still tight pinch? but yes sts motors like go motors have very tight pinch until well into the gallon mark id say if you've got plenty of smoke and the motor runs right no bog from being too lean or rich leave it with that in mind if the temps are around 230 leave em once it fully breaks in the temps will drop and the motor will run faster

MOST OF ALL GOOD LUCK

ON A side note..

Jaz Sam is probably like most of us when he tries something new and well priced and it works well for the time being you want to say you've found a quality product at a lower cost..I know i felt this way when my sts broke in and people were like what is that.."It's an STS baby" was my quote but soon after that all the stuff i mentioned in a previous post happened...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.