Wiki Posts
Search

I need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default I need advice.

Hello! I brought my rc stuffs here in the hope that I would have time to play rc, I only played once. SO i sold most of my stuffs.

After a year, I bought again a whole lot of stuff, hop ups, switched to lipo brushless but I have only raced once.

Life has been busy and with the new baby coming I dunno if I will have time to play. plus work and all.

My question is, do I keep all my stuff or just sell them? And quit the hobby for good? I'm in a dilema. I want to but I just don't have time.

Need advice. Thanks.

Lem
Old 09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you can support your family without selling the equipment then hold on to it. If you gotta feed the kid and that equipment is the only means to do it then sell it.

You must enjoy at least buying RC equipment because you have done it twice. So hold onto it if you are able and run it when you are able.

My 2 cents with a 1 cent fuel surcharge.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As the father of a 7mo little boy, I will attest it gets busy!

MY RC has taken a back seat, and its okay at times, but I made some compromises and I try and make it out to the track once a month provided that I have the time and $$. I have over 30 cars in my collection. most are just sitting, but I have several that see regular action.

Everyone's situation is different. If you are hurting for $$, it might be worth it to sell you equip. If you can afford to sit on it, i don't forsee any huge leaps in technology for a while, namely the BL and Lipo. Cars change every few years, so you are prolly okay there too. Id hold onto it.

My fiance' Is very understanding and has gone to the track with me a few times. Most of my friends that I race with understand that my extraciricular activities are on hold, but they are happy when i come out. If your significant is understanding, perhaps some kind of arrangement can be made. Heck, even taking 20-30 min just to run in your backyard or in the street can make a difference.

Consider it Therapy!

Keep in mind, the Lipos like to remain charged, so if you DO have to leave your RC sit for a bit, you aren't going to kill the Lipo batteries.

Congrats on the upcoming birth of the child.

MOmo
Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys for the reply. I appreciate it greatly.

So i will just hang onto them instead. I started taking pictures of my stuff in the hope to sell it but takingthe picture was like ripping me apart!!

Momo, thanks you are right each is different, but you reply was important and maybe life saving!!

I just thought of selling the stuffs so I could buy 2 more lens in this new thing that I picked up, since I just stay home or walk around to take pictures!!

Thanks again.

Lem
Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOmo
As the father of a 7mo little boy, I will attest it gets busy!

MY RC has taken a back seat, and its okay at times, but I made some compromises and I try and make it out to the track once a month provided that I have the time and $$. I have over 30 cars in my collection. most are just sitting, but I have several that see regular action.

Everyone's situation is different. If you are hurting for $$, it might be worth it to sell you equip. If you can afford to sit on it, i don't forsee any huge leaps in technology for a while, namely the BL and Lipo. Cars change every few years, so you are prolly okay there too. Id hold onto it.

My fiance' Is very understanding and has gone to the track with me a few times. Most of my friends that I race with understand that my extraciricular activities are on hold, but they are happy when i come out. If your significant is understanding, perhaps some kind of arrangement can be made. Heck, even taking 20-30 min just to run in your backyard or in the street can make a difference.

Consider it Therapy!

Keep in mind, the Lipos like to remain charged, so if you DO have to leave your RC sit for a bit, you aren't going to kill the Lipo batteries.

Congrats on the upcoming birth of the child.

MOmo
word.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Two ways to look at it. Hold on to it for later or what I did.

My son turned 6 this year so I bought him a Slash.

While at the hobby shop I heard about USVTA and how guys with old chassis can beat guys with new chassis, the rules keep it an even playing field.

So now I just bought my 2nd TA05 used and putting them together for us to race together in a low pressure class.

Mines brushless and he's is using my old electronics

And my wife is getting me a Slash tomorrow for my Bday.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is what I did when my daughter was born almost 3 years ago. I know that my car, electronics and batteries will be outdated in a year or 2 so I sold everything but my radio and charger because they don't get outdated that fast. I seem to have more time to race now that she's almost 3.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Default Still no time

hi!! my son is 7month old and i do not see any free time in the next 3 years.

do you think selling some of my stuff to get a buggy or crawler will be the right thing to do? so i can run anywhere to fuel the itch that i have for RC?? What do you think??

My wife will not release a new budget for my passion--- "save save save for a downpayment for a house"

help

Last edited by lem2; 07-01-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lem2
hi!! my son is 7month old and i do not see any free time in the next 3 years.

do you think selling some of my stuff to get a buggy or crawler will be the right thing to do? so i can run anywhere to fuel the itch that i have for RC?? What do you think??

My wife will not release a new budget for my passion--- "save save save for a downpayment for a house"

help
a truggy would work for you, buy a set of off road and on road tries and there you go. ppl give me sh##$ about it but i have and durtrax evader that i run hard i dont race it but i run is on a daily and the one thing i have had go wrong is the drive pins but running a 5.5t with a oversize 7.8v 10000mah 20c lipo dont help. but i have fund pins that hold up now. would suggest 40w in the shocks if you have it, and mid springs all around. for what you have invested now you would get more then what you need to get one. there like 115-120 rtr change the esc and motor and have at it you know