Wiki Posts
Search

engine quit running :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryanroma
I'd like to thank you first off for being nice and polite, unlike so many of the members I've seen on here. I am very glad I bought a spare glow plug at the LHS yesterday.. Either way, I do think my ignitor is probably screwed up because I've got to turn it kinda sideways for it to stay on the glow plug..
If your ignitor is messed up, you really should fix or replace it! You do NOT want to be messing with an ignitor at the races, or worse yet - have a pit guy trying to mess with it. Nothing is more annoying than stuff at the track that you have to tinker with to make work.

Always have a few glow plugs ready. After the break in period, they should last MUCH longer.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Addict

Tried the other new glow plug, it started right up but it seemed to sound like it was running leaner, and I think I saw a tiny bit of smoke come from the cooling head... After that I ran over and pinched the fuel line to make sure I wasn't going to destroy the engine if I didn't have the glow plug shimmed right, and I put the old one back in.. It started after a little priming and then when I touched the throttle it died..
I take it you're using a standard glow plug with a copper washer. They must be tight, but not overtight. Try not to wrench TOO hard, but enough to seal. Also, make sure things are nice and tight when it's cold. You certainly don't want to wrench hard on a hot engine.

Many times, in a full rich setting, one little blip of the throttle will cause it to die. That's pretty normal. Just let her "high idle" as long as you can. Run at least a tank thru at idle if you can. Once the engine starts to break in it'll begin to run better and better.

Again, remember how it reacts now - you'll be able to use this entire experience later - perhaps for a new guy at the track.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Well I'm about to hang it up for the night.. I am about to go put some after run oil in the engine, where other than the glow plug hole should I put the oil?

Don't sweat using any after-run oil unless you're going to store it for some time. There's a LOT of oil in there...

When you do get to the point of storing it, a couple drops in the head, and a couple in the carb will be fine.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Also how do I know when the piston is at BDC?

When turning the flywheel, you'll feel a little resistance as the piston hits the compression area. Once you feel that, back off a little where the flywheel can turn a little each direction. That's close to BDC.

If the piston is ever to get stuck at the top, heat the head with a hair dryer and maybe use a drop of oil - or fuel - to get the piston unstuck.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

find me on saturday if you still need help, ill be wearing the UpGrade shirt
Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by imaxx21
find me on saturday if you still need help, ill be wearing the UpGrade shirt
I don't think I will ever be out there on Saturday, my parents are not enthusiastic about me being into nitro RC so they won't even bring me to the track. My brother was the one that brought me to RCPH to get the stuff I needed to get it running..
Old 09-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

why do you think the engine is lean?? Did you change your needle settings during the break in??
Old 09-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Fixed the problem, threw a McCoy MC-59 plug in there with one washer under it and it fired right up.