Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which engine??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default which engine??

i just got a truggy roller and i am tring to figure out what engine would be good. i have been racing monster trucks for about 6mos. i don't have the budget that some have so please keep that in mind. i was looking at the mach 427 or the O.S. 21VG. Are these good choices??
Old 09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Right here one of the best engines out there
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPNM7&P=0
Old 09-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=porkey;4859125]Right here one of the best engines out there it is a little over your budget but it is a very good motor
one guy at the track that it race at has one its fast, reliable and really good

Old 09-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah, thats way over my budget!!! i was talking about the non V-spec VG
Old 09-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Porkey: The guy says he doesn't have a big budget like some and you post one of if not the most expensive .21's ever made......

1lowtaco: The 427 would be a decent engine but I would skip the vg. The vg hardly has any torque and is an okay budget buggy engine but for a larger heavier truggy it just can't pull it's weight very well.

Since your working with a little bit lower budget I would stick with a .26-.28 budget engine. They will give you the most bang for your buck and have the torque you need for a truggy. Any of these engines would be great:

Axial .28 spec 1s
Axial .28 RR
Losi 427
Mach .26
Sportwerks .26 V2
Picco P3 .28 (Italian made powerhouse)
LRP Spec 3 .28 (I run this in my lst and it's insane)

Any of those listed would be more than adequate for you and all are under $200........
Old 09-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I HAVE TALKED TO GUYS I RACE WITH AD THEY SAY THE AXIAL MOTORS ARE HIT AND MISS ON GETTING A GOOD ONE. THE 427 AND THE MACH .26 ARE SIMILIAR, CORRECT?I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THE SPORTWERKS OR THE LRP. AND DID NOT KNOW WHICH PICCO WOULD BE GOOD FOR A TRUGGY. ALSO, SOME HAVE TOLD ME TO GO WITH A .21 AND OTHERS SAY .28 WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? PROS AND CONS
Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MattP
Porkey: The guy says he doesn't have a big budget like some and you post one of if not the most expensive .21's ever made......

1lowtaco: The 427 would be a decent engine but I would skip the vg. The vg hardly has any torque and is an okay budget buggy engine but for a larger heavier truggy it just can't pull it's weight very well.

Since your working with a little bit lower budget I would stick with a .26-.28 budget engine. They will give you the most bang for your buck and have the torque you need for a truggy. Any of these engines would be great:

Axial .28 spec 1s
Axial .28 RR
Losi 427
Mach .26
Sportwerks .26 V2

Any of those listed would be more than adequate for you and all are under $200........
yeah i under stand, LRP makes good engines to.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

When the axial's first came out they did have some issues but the more recent ones seem to be good. The major thing with them was the carb needed to be sealed.

The 427's and the mach's I have never heard of any problems. I have owned both and seen a ton of them run and they all were flawless. The sportwerks v2 is basically a mach 26.

The LRP is a very nice engine that I believe is made by SH engines.

The Picco P3 .28 has tons of power everywhere through the rpm band.

As far as which engine is right for you comes down to a couple factors. The thing with having a budget means you kinda have trade offs in a way. You can get a budget .26-.28 that will have the same if not quite a bit more power than a high strung expensive .21 or you can get a budget .21 that is more suited for a lighter buggy.

The jammin/picco .21 that's out now is a nice powerful engine for the money. It's basically the same engine as the old trinity drake .21's were. It's also right around $220 or so.

Most people that race a lot prefer a nice strong (often pricey) .21 in a truggy because of fuel mileage and they are often times a lot smoother than a torquey .28 is. It's a lot easier to put down fast laps with an engine that is controllable down low than one with an explosive bottom end like some 28's have.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Most people that race a lot prefer a nice strong (often pricey) .21 in a truggy because of fuel mileage and they are often times a lot smoother than a torquey .28 is. It's a lot easier to put down fast laps with an engine that is controllable down low than one with an explosive bottom end like some 28's have.
that was what i figured. i am new to the sport and don't have that much track time. so i think that if i had to learn how to drive, or start out with a .28 it will not be a big deal for me
Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Axial .28 spec 1s
Axial .28 RR
Losi 427
Mach .26
Sportwerks .26 V2

I keep buying high dollar engine's yet the 427 was the best motor i ever had.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by porkey
Right here one of the best engines out there it is a little over your budget but it is a very good motor
one guy at the track that it race at has one its fast, reliable and really good

NOT AGAIN!!!

You don't even have a nitro, yet you're giving advice --- again???

WHY DO YOU INSIST ON TALKING ABOUT THINGS YOU HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH???
Old 09-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default mach 427

i would say mach 427,thats a good starting point ,i have a good experience w/ this ,put it on my lsp before n you will be happy from bottom to the top..........n i believe you can find this motor around for less than $100...............
Old 09-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

were have you seen them for less than 100.00??
Old 09-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cracka
NOT AGAIN!!!

You don't even have a nitro, yet you're giving advice --- again???

WHY DO YOU INSIST ON TALKING ABOUT THINGS YOU HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH???
um yes i did have a nitro for about 2 years in tell i sold.
i wasnt giving advice to you i was giving it to the person who started
this thread thats what forums are about so STOP harassing me
Old 09-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by porkey
um yes i did have a nitro for about 2 years in tell i sold.
i wasnt giving advice to you i was giving it to the person who started
this thread thats what forums are about so STOP harassing me
doesn't own a nitro
yet insists on giving advice regarding them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.