Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'03 IFMAR 8th Scale On-Road Worlds

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kyosho's problem here in the USA is they are relagated to using great planes for distribution. for this reason no matter how good the car is, and it is a great car, it won't be popular here. Josh tried to get the distribution of the car changed here but it just ain't going to happen.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Seems like Josh is connected to all the baaad distributors here in the US
Old 09-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by mikemyers
I posted a report on the Final over at the Starting Grid site. Just go to the conferences, then to the SGRID7 Conference, and read item #64. That's where the rest of the updates, pictures, and everything else can be found.

Here's a summary of what's written so far:

A VERY brief summary of the race - Josh Cyrul was off like a shot, and seemed to be pulling away or holding his own against a hard charging Ralph Burch who was maybe 30 feet behind, until Josh bumped a board in front of the stand and Ralph got by. Ralph then seemed to dominate the race, pulling away from everybody, building up a nice lead. Josh was using a different engine than the one he TQ'd with, and this one was barely good for 4:30, even though it was fast. Running out of fuel killed Josh's chances, first for winning, and later on, even for being up near the top. Lamberto Collari followed roughly six seconds behind Ralph. Daniele Ielasi followed a little behind Collari, driving very smoothly and keeping a constant gap between himself and Collari.

Surikarn Chaidasuriya was amazing! One by one he worked his way up to the top, and at one point was ready to pass Daniele for second, when his engine let go. From then on Surikarn had engine problems for the rest of the event. So, the race continued with Ralph leading, Collari in second, Oliver Mack in third, and the rest of the field fighting for the remainder.

About 25 minutes in, there was a wreck on the back straight, and Ralph had to slow down for it. Collari, who had been following with a steady six-second gap, suddenly was only two seconds behind Ralph. Ralph's tires were pretty worn down by this time, Collari closed in, and the two cars tangled. Ralph's car got spun out. Ralph's shock may have been damaged - Ralph said his car never handled the same after this. Collari continued to pull away, increasing his lead. Several minutes later, Ralph's shock broke, and Ralph's car spun into the boards. Ralph's team replaced the shock with one from a show car on a display table.

Forty five minutes in, Ralph's engine let go, and Ralph was out. Oliver Mack was holding onto a solid third place finish, when his engine let go. That's how the race finished, with Collari winning his sixth World Championship, Ielasi taking second, and Takaaki Shimo taking third.

A full report with lots more detail, lots of photos, and a listing of each driver's car, engine, tires, radio, fuel, etc., will be posted on the Starting Grid site on Tuesday, when I get a better Internet Connection.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for all of the reports on this event. great job. can you give me a link to the starting grid site?

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just read on the grid that he is no longer at trinity.

That damn Collari,he was world champ for 10 years and now he is getting greedy and wants more!!!

Does anyone know if he had a lot of custom parts on his car?
Old 09-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Manti,

http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/backtalk
Old 09-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Manti,

http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/backtalk
Thanks buddy ! and Mike too !
Old 09-21-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

No worries honey !
Old 09-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ralph doesn't work for Serpent USA any more either..a big loss for them..
Old 09-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

A pause in the who`s factory is better than the other to put a shout out for Eli Ezrow,a privateer from Ohio who came from 72 qualifying position to bump up all the way to the 1/4 finals. He missed going into the semis by only one position. Great job for someone who`s paying his own way!
Old 09-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

I saw that, good job Eli. Nobody else seemed to have a strong bump up run.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is it true that Surikan wasn't sponsered by mugen during the worlds and that he bought his own car,ticket etc?Someone on the grid said that he only had a small team with him and that kawahara were the only ones sponsering him?

Fish,were are you?

Get some info for us once you get out of the bowl !

Also was he using a REX engine or OS max?
Old 09-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Is it true that Surikan wasn't sponsered by mugen during the worlds and that he bought his own car,ticket etc?Someone on the grid said that he only had a small team with him and that kawahara were the only ones sponsering him?

Fish,were are you?

Get some info for us once you get out of the bowl !

Also was he using a REX engine or OS max?
I believe Kawahara is only his sponsor and I think Kawahara provided him a very good support until he could manage to A Main.

I don't know about engine but if he really used OS MAX to enter to A Main, We may have to think twice when we want to buy a new engine. Because 1/8 OS MAX Engine is not that powerful .
Old 09-22-2003, 12:30 AM
Tech Adept

just to share some facts about Surikarn as it appeared that some of us wants to know more about him ...
It's true that his only sponsors at this moment (for GP racing) only comes from his Dad's VISA/ Master cards and Kawahara Racing in Japan. It is true that Kawahara is a small company if you compare with the big boys such as Kyosho/ Mugen Seiki etc. BUT Kawahara is already a popular name, as they manufacture high quality parts for Kyosho/ Mugen Seiki's cars. Their racing team, especially Kazuya Yuruki (managed to be in 1/4 final), is one of the best (GP) mechanics in Japan. Surikarn might not get such an outstanding performance, if Kawahara was not there. Kawahara did a lot of preparations including attending the Pre World and prepared everything before Surikarn arrived. Finding (equipments) supports has not been an issue eversince he became a World Champion. So many individuals, manufacturers offering him different equipments to use for free. While he is not an officially Mugen's driver, he did get some of his Mugen cars from the factory thorugh certain chanels. Kawahara was the first and probably the only manufacturers who "were" putting all of their efforts to groom Surikarn, while others were probably only looking with one eye, as Surikarn didn't have a name in GP racing.
On the engine side, as far as I know Surikarn did buy his own engines. But Kawahara did all the tunings and modification for him. I will have to wait for confirmations about the arrangement at the Worlds. But Kawahara makes / modifies one of the fastest n the best engines on the market (in this part of the world). Kawahara do sell modified O.S., RB, Nova, Rex etc. Their engines are comparable with JP, Max etc.

I believe Surikarn n Kawahara combination is the best option he can get at this stage, as he gets all of the attentions from Kawahara. Whereas, he might just be 'another' factory drivers in anyother bigger teams.

Am not trying to dramatize things... but again just to share some facts to give you some backgrounds ...Surikarn was two weeks in Japan prior to IFMAR, preparing the Japan Nats (JMRCA), an event which is far more important (in his priority list), as he is the leading TRF driver. He was sick for a couple of days and recovered just in time for the race weekend. Didn't get a good result -- finished the race on Monday afternoon -- flew all the way from Japan to USA the following morning -- the jet lag -- the pressures -- missed a week of practice time -- missed the first two qualifying rounds -- then advancing all the way from the bottom to the grand final... .. as Mike Myers put it : it's an Outstanding Achievement ..

Hope you enjoyed the Worlds... I know I did ... Collari wins and Surikarn's performance ...

Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

BTW, Surikarn is not really new to 1:8. He participated a previous IFMAR once before this year, in 1993 in Sweden when he was only 12 years old. Then he was looking impressive at the Pre-World in his country, in 1994 in Phuket, where he finished 3rd behind M. Salven and S. Grant. However, he refrained (for some reasons) from all RC activities for the following 2 years, right after the Pre World finished. He made a comeback and was doing only EP touring , until he got the World Champion in S. Africa, then he started racing GP locally.
You might want to check the race news section at www.tq-racing.com ...you can find race reports, Surikarn had been attending.
cheers...
Old 09-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

You are da man slowhand !!!

Thanks for the info,hope you can give us more when you get it?

Tell Surikan that "You cant smoke others with an EP" so he should do more GP racing and not to worry if it is too dirty!

OK,so i stole manti's line........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.