Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
8th scale buggy staggered tire widths >

8th scale buggy staggered tire widths

8th scale buggy staggered tire widths

Old 09-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Default 8th scale buggy staggered tire widths

Ever since I made my 8ight brushless conversion I have been wondering why 8th scale buggies don't use staggered widths front to rear like 10th scale buggies. I don't really see a reason why not to put wider wheels in the rear. Is it something to do with the weight? Comparing it to 10th scale, I would think it would be like running the front tire widths all around the car. Plus I have never seen an 8th scale buggy with staggered tire widths. I think it would be pretty cool to see.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

you mean like this?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's 4wd. If you have more traction in the back then the front there will be issues with handling etc. The idea is to adjust the diffs to get varied levels of traction anyway isn't it?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not sure what you're saying... Do you want wider tires in the rear than in the front on 1/8 scale 4wd buggies, like in the 1/10 4wd ones?

Well, for one thing, 1/8 scale tires are already slighly wider than 1/10 rear ones... Maybe going wider doesn't offer much benefit?

Or maybe it's cheaper to be able to use all tires on front and rear, rather than having two different categories?

Either way, in theory, twice as much tire width gives you the same amount of traction. Tire width is not a very important factor, because the wider your tires, the more surface area your car rests on and therefore less pressure per square inch on the ground. Well, sorta. In off-road it probably matters more because with wider tires you'll be pushing more dirt behind you. I'm not really sure how much diff it makes anyway.

Just trying to guess and explain the phenomena... I really don't know why it's done like that (all tire widths are the same in 1/8 scale 4wd cars).
Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Up until recently 1/8th scale cars understeered with 4 tires of the same size no matter how you set them up. Now that the car makers are getting chassis to steer more aggressively/better a wider rear tire is beginning to make sense. I have seen photos of cars at the worlds and some are using traditional width tires, some have wide rears and some have wides on all 4. A wider tire makes more traction in almost every off road situation, this is why in almost all forms of racing with tire rules there is a maximum width but not a minimum width.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

It just seems to make sense to have wider tires in the rear. Comparing my 4WD 10th scale rear tires to my 8ight front and rear tires, they are about the same width. I guess I could see the need to have relatively thin tires in the rear if you are unsteering. Just force the rear to drift out.

For that MBX6, are the staggered tire widths standard with the kit? Also, does any tire manufacturers make wider wheels and tires for 8th scale buggies. I think truggy tires might be a bit too wire for 8th scale buggies. I might try experimenting with it to see if there is any benefit. I would rather gain more traction by just changing the rear tire width than removing the center diff and putting different weight oils. But then again changing tires like that means more $$$.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Wider rear prototypes:

http://www.redrc.net/2008/08/vp-pro-...re/#more-11121
Old 09-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I like having all 4 the same from a cost/logistics point of view. There's plenty of variations already with tread, compound, and foams.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm I wonder if staggered wheel widths for 8th scale buggies will ever catch on. For my 10th scale 4wd I almost always use different tread patterns and compounds front and rear to get the traction I like. I guess 8th scale might the same thus you may not even rotate tires front to rear to save them. Or do most people run the same type of tires all around in 8th scale?