Capricorn CL-12E engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Thanks MHarrison.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Just recieved my conrod today! Pretty durn quick for regular shipping if you ask me! Gotta give a big thanks also for the little extra Capricorn glow plug!

Really thanks, you guys have a regular customer now. Will probably be ordering some Capricorn tire sets next week.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey G.M. Thats wifey allright.I'm starting the snake soon.I will let you know how it turns out.Motor will be orderd very soon.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

I break-in and tested last week. Here is a picture of the internal. (Used Break-in fuel)
Everything went really well and fitting was perfect. The breaking in process was easy never too tight but good thing that the pinch stayed consistance( slowly getting less tight) for long time after 5 tanks so I am sure this P/S will last a Long time.

We run 25%, i added 0.2, total approx 0.5 head shim using plug 7

Performace really good. Piston is still little tight still but the torque already one of the best I tried. I also used the WCE Clutch. The clutch was easy to adjust (advise to follow the instruction intitially, I tried without it, thought I knew everything...) and the condition remained the same throughout 3 litres which is one of the most important for me. I tested the Red and yellow shoe but condition was different, and I liked the Red better.
Pinions also show no sign of wear after 3 litres.

I tested few different pipe included Sirio 2611(07 version), Nova and some other pipes. Overall I liked the 2602 from max. Not tried the new Pipe 2648 hope to test( arrive next week).

tested the glow plugs, check them out, really fire up things when you compare to other brand.

Will be testing the 3.5cc in 2 weeks time when 1/8 seasons starts here.
Attached Thumbnails Capricorn CL-12E engine-caprctech.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kitracer
I break-in and tested last week. Here is a picture of the internal. (Used Break-in fuel)
Everything went really well and fitting was perfect. The breaking in process was easy never too tight but good thing that the pinch stayed consistance( slowly getting less tight) for long time after 5 tanks so I am sure this P/S will last a Long time.

Performace really good. Piston is still little tight still but the torque already one of the best I tried. I also used the WCE Clutch. The clutch was easy to adjust (advise to follow the instruction intitially, I tried without it, thought I knew everything...) and the condition remained the same throughout 3 litres which is one of the most important for me. I tested the Red and yellow shoe but condition was different, and I liked the Red better.

I tested few different pipe included Sirio 2611(07 version), Nova and some other pipes. Overall I liked the 2602 from max. Not tried the new Pipe 2648 hope to test( arrive next week).

tested the glow plugs, check them out, really fire up things when you compare to other brand.

I have to agree with you on the run-in.

See two photos attached, one is the piston brand new before run in, and the other is after 2.3 litres.

I do not use break in fuel, Tornado 16% was used - in my opinion the best fuel I have used.
Attached Thumbnails Capricorn CL-12E engine-1.jpg   Capricorn CL-12E engine-2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kitracer

Just be ready when you throw in the CL9 you will be very pleased with the performance
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

What temperature are you guys seeing your CL-12E's run at? I was seeing my Novarossi engines run at around 130degC (266 f) with good power, and my CL-12E was only at around 115degC (239 f) with great power. Just curious to see if the Sirio based motors (being new to Sirio) generally run cooler or hotter then Novarossi's. I don't tune with temperature, it is more or less a guide for me.

I did notice the Capricorn manual heavily relied on temperature to break in and tune the motor. They state never to run the motor above 120degC (248 f) which is alittle on the conservative side I think.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Novarossi
What temperature are you guys seeing your CL-12E's run at? I was seeing my Novarossi engines run at around 130degC (266 f) with good power, and my CL-12E was only at around 115degC (239 f) with great power. Just curious to see if the Sirio based motors (being new to Sirio) generally run cooler or hotter then Novarossi's. I don't tune with temperature, it is more or less a guide for me.

I did notice the Capricorn manual heavily relied on temperature to break in and tune the motor. They state never to run the motor above 120degC (248 f) which is alittle on the conservative side I think.
My Sirio Evo 4 STI and Capricorn CL12-ET both run 20 to 30 degrees cooler than any other motors I've had and are also the fastest motors I've had.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Speyederjedi
My Sirio Evo 4 STI and Capricorn CL12-ET both run 20 to 30 degrees cooler than any other motors I've had and are also the fastest motors I've had.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Daniel are you coming to the Winternat's
Nova I break mine in @ 200deg Im not going to tell you how hot I run it let's just say it was a missle
Old 01-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GMartinez
Daniel are you coming to the Winternat's
Nova I break mine in @ 200deg Im not going to tell you how hot I run it let's just say it was a missle

Balls of fire!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Novarossi

We printed around 5k user manual...
If we write NEVER above 120° it mean that because of the design of custion chamber, the engine must run not over that temp.
Novarossi can run over that amount...

But a general truth is... better lower and rich .. than lean and dead..
Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CapricornRC
We printed around 5k user manual...
If we write NEVER above 120° it mean that because of the design of custion chamber, the engine must run not over that temp.
Novarossi can run over that amount...

But a general truth is... better lower and rich .. than lean and dead..
+1 Nova in the U.S. the most common plug used is #6 depending on which CL12 version you have
CL 12 ET Stock Silver case version 240-260 after break in
CL 12 Tuned Black case I ran it @ the Nat's every Qualifier 240-260 hot lap tune & came off @ 290-300 & have almost 3 gallons & had to change the bearing due to running it hot very often
Majority of the time when your clutch & gearing are on point yuo should see temps in the range of 240-280 & most of the time the weather is in the high 90's
Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CapricornRC
Balls of fire!!!!
LOL
Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Temps Ranged from 230 - 250 Depending on the Day ( humidity & Temp ).
You can Tell it will loose a little power over these temps. Keep it cooler,,,,It will still make runtime .
Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

I'm really curious now. When I took my CL12E apart to replace the conrod I noticed the rear bearing appeared to have the grey balls of a ceramic ball bearing. Is it at all possible if any early production 12E's recieved front and rear ceramic bearings?
LOL, I'm kinda hoping this is one of those production line mistakes that go my way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.