Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? >

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
And my partially assembled CRC Gen X-10 kit was placed in OD Purple's more than competent hands tonight to prep for the Region 12Regionals. Expect a rocket when I drop a lipo and 13.5 motor in it...per our local rules.

Bill
I will agree with that!!! our carpet spec allows a lipo and 17.5 and it really rips. I've run lipo and 10.5 in my 235 I-Fource and it is WAY FAST!!!

Enjoy!!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

try a lipo/3.5 and boy it's really a rocket. That is what I ran this past weekend with my Gen X 10.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by espresso1967
try a lipo/3.5 and boy it's really a rocket. That is what I ran this past weekend with my Gen X 10.
Whoa! I'm a 13.5 guy...Max! And like my cars to last beyond the first turn...
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I was running a 17.5 but way to slow for a nitro track and had to step it up to keep up or move out of the way of some of these 1/8 nitros.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by espresso1967
I was running a 17.5 but way to slow for a nitro track and had to step it up to keep up or move out of the way of some of these 1/8 nitros.
I've got a 6.5 that some how makes it into this car for the large pavement track. Yes a lot of fun, just could not get anyone else to give it a try.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Back when the rebirth of this class was just a rumbling a few of the guys that ran in or were at the last pro10 Nats had a few good points. First, the straw that broke the camel's back for pro10 was the speeds that we had on 6 cells in mod. It got to the point where only a select few could wheel a mod car around the track and the cars were dangerous for cornermarshalls on an indoor carpet track.

Fast foreward to where we are today. Most of the manufacturers decided that the way to go with this class was 4 cell. Lighter cars, lower tire wear, cheaper packs. Pretty much all of the rules that they went with are a really good way to control the class and keep the speeds reasonable. I hate the body rule but I think that a mod class will develop using the new GTP/LMP style bodies and I'm all in when that happens.

So, for all of you "anti-NiMh" guys there's a single cell LiPo coming from SMC that will keep the speeds reasonable. If you want to go fast indoors RUN MOD.

For all the guys running on those big 1/8th outdoor tracks. Make up your own rules for your track. 2 cell LiPo and a big mod are safe on your track then go for it.

So, for the "spec?" question at the top of the thread (my opinion):

1) Tires - Yes with 2 compounds at the rear for indoors and out.
2) Batteries - 4 cell for now and bring in single cell LiPo when it makes sense.
3) Chassis - Keep it simple! No sedan front suspension, or independant rear ends. Just a simple chassis and a fun class.
4) Bodies - Stock=GT and Mod=LMP/GTP with a wing (realistic looking) See new Protoform body.
5) If your area needs to open things up some or limit them more go for it but the main class should have some basic rules.

Normally in racing the sanctioning body sets the rules for a new class. Only in RC do we see a new class twist in the brease while the sanctioning body "lets the racers" figure out the rules. It's kinda like letting the crack heads set up the drug laws.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Back when the rebirth of this class was just a rumbling a few of the guys that ran in or were at the last pro10 Nats had a few good points. First, the straw that broke the camel's back for pro10 was the speeds that we had on 6 cells in mod. It got to the point where only a select few could wheel a mod car around the track and the cars were dangerous for cornermarshalls on an indoor carpet track.

Fast foreward to where we are today. Most of the manufacturers decided that the way to go with this class was 4 cell. Lighter cars, lower tire wear, cheaper packs. Pretty much all of the rules that they went with are a really good way to control the class and keep the speeds reasonable. I hate the body rule but I think that a mod class will develop using the new GTP/LMP style bodies and I'm all in when that happens.

So, for all of you "anti-NiMh" guys there's a single cell LiPo coming from SMC that will keep the speeds reasonable. If you want to go fast indoors RUN MOD.

For all the guys running on those big 1/8th outdoor tracks. Make up your own rules for your track. 2 cell LiPo and a big mod are safe on your track then go for it.

So, for the "spec?" question at the top of the thread (my opinion):

1) Tires - Yes with 2 compounds at the rear for indoors and out.
2) Batteries - 4 cell for now and bring in single cell LiPo when it makes sense.
3) Chassis - Keep it simple! No sedan front suspension, or independant rear ends. Just a simple chassis and a fun class.
4) Bodies - Stock=GT and Mod=LMP/GTP with a wing (realistic looking) See new Protoform body.
5) If your area needs to open things up some or limit them more go for it but the main class should have some basic rules.

Normally in racing the sanctioning body sets the rules for a new class. Only in RC do we see a new class twist in the brease while the sanctioning body "lets the racers" figure out the rules. It's kinda like letting the crack heads set up the drug laws.

What he said ........
Old 10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ditto! What killed the 1/10th pan car class- the cars got way to fast for the average racer. Showing up at the Minrreg nationals (carpet) in 2000 I think only 6 mod cars and the class was cancelled.Sure is fun to go fast but 99% of the people can't drive them even thought they think they can.Having a motor limit and when the lipos come out for 4 cell that's the ticket with 13.5 for stock and 10.5 for mod period. Or maybe 4 or six cell (or lipo equivalent) for stock and mod with the same motor (13.5).Speed kills the class quicker that anything else. Especially the guys that think they can drive and all they do is break or take you out.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Please forward your request to BMI, CRC, SpeedMerchant, et al. They made the new cars and promoted the class.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Perhaps you didn't see a few posts back this link: http://www.worldgtrc.com/? This is the site for World GT. As more information becomes available for this growing division, I am sure that the site will keep us updated with all that is happening within the confines of this class.

What local clubs decide to do regarding their local rules is up to the local club. It is hoped that people would follow the rules as closely as possible, as large events that promote this class will more than likely be following these rules to the letter.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

asking for formula 1 is beating a dead horse even though its far simpler than what all i've seen debated here. however...

yeh too many classes hurts turnout. so why not let folks show up with 13.5 with GTPs OR 17.5s and GT bodies. run em all together if u want, pretty neat. adjust your battery and motor scales to your size of track and what ur club likes.

R
Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by timmay70
Perhaps you didn't see a few posts back this link: http://www.worldgtrc.com/?
Yup, that's a set of rules but the US sanctioning body is ROAR. I'm not trying to knock the work that's been done outside of ROAR to get a set of rules started. All I'm saying is that ROAR has a "wait and see" policy on new classes instead of getting a basic rule set in place when the manufacturers release the kits.

The fact that a rule set has to be made outside ROAR says a lot about how things are.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yup, that's a set of rules but the US sanctioning body is ROAR. I'm not trying to knock the work that's been done outside of ROAR to get a set of rules started. All I'm saying is that ROAR has a "wait and see" policy on new classes instead of getting a basic rule set in place when the manufacturers release the kits.

The fact that a rule set has to be made outside ROAR says a lot about how things are.
i really don't get your point. did you not buy a brushless motor or lipo pack until ROAR caught up? (i doubt you waited -- hell brushless technology is what got me interested in R/C again)

i think innovation is great!! have you seen the fun people have been having and smiles on people's faces that new formulas like Vintage T/A, World GT and Slashes have created? i believe classes like these will help keep our hobby alive. i've personally been letting any racer at my local track run my World GT for a qualifier or two just to get the word out about how much fun and how easy to drive these cars are.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Default world Gt rules

Hey Fred, long time no see.

I agree with you about the rules of this class. Last Friday we had a drivers meeting at Larry's to discuss the seasons classes and rules. One of the new classes is world gt. We will be running them with 13.5 or 27t stock motors, 4 cell 3700 gp spec packs. I know some people may not agree with spec packs, but we worked out a deal so that they will only cost 25.00 for a 4 cell pack.
We had some who wanted to run lipos, but the majority ruled for the spec pack rule so that we could keep racing fair and even. Initially I myself wanted to run lipos, but in order for the class to progress we needed the speeds controlable, the motors techable and the class affordable. The idea is that if someone comes in and sees these and asks about the price we don't have to say that you have to buy a 70 dollar lipo pack and charger. I have raced with Fred for many years and find his knowledge and oppinions a great help, so what do you think about our rules Fred.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Mark,

I heard a little about the rules the Larry's crown voted on. I think It's going to be fine because you'll be following the basic rules that the big races have adopted. It's really not that big of a deal for guys that aren't regulars to buy/borrow a pack when they visit.

I hope you guys decided to run the spec tires because that's going to be the biggest expense if you leave it open.

hanulec,

We had a lot of SNAFU's with the whole brushless and LiPo transition that could have been avoided by a simple guideline set of rules for the manufacturers. Examples? 13.5 was stock and all winds were not allowed in mod y vs. delta.

Issues with LiPo? yup we had them. Packs that are so big they won't fit in our cars, inferior cells and no basic safety guidelines.

The point is that without some preliminary rules or guidelines things get all screwed up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.