Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Getting Ofna LX-One, tons of questions.. >

Getting Ofna LX-One, tons of questions..

Getting Ofna LX-One, tons of questions..

Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Default Getting Ofna LX-One, tons of questions..

Okay, I'm extremely excited but also kinda confused, because this will be my first nitro RC. So I'll start asking questions now..

1.) What is the average span of time before the motor needs a new piston and sleeve if I take care of the motor?
2. ) What is a good break-in procedure to follow?
3. ) Where can I get upgrades for this thing? I haven't seen them on Tower..
4. ) Does this car have a fail-safe, does anyone know lol?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Life spans of the motors varys greatly, the particular motor in the LX one is probably gonna be somewhere in the 6-8 gallon range at best.

Dont worry about a piston and sleeve replacement for that motor. Just buy a new one, you will be greatful that you did.

http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is the breakin I follow. People are gonna get on here and tell you "NO, dont do it that way that is a guaranteed way of ruining your motor." and give you the way he does it in which someone will reply that same answer about his.

I will put it this way, if in doubt USE THE MANUFACTUERS BREAKIN PROCEDURE.

1/8th scale buggys, dont have the "bling" hopups such as monster trucks and other RC vehicles. They are race breed vehicles and most of the components that are upgradeable are performance only upgrades. Things such as the clutches, lightweight Universals and other lightweight drivetrain parts.

No, it doesnt have a failsafe, do yourself the favor spend the $25-$30 on one and save yourself a headache.

Last edited by wes95_z28; 09-04-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the speedy and extremely thorough reply
Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Oh and the johnnycoolguy guide no longer works I guess.

EDIT NVM I found it.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

fixed the link try it now.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks.. Is there a certain failsafe I should use?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Oh and when I get the money to get a spare one, would an Axial .28 Spec 1S be a good replacement engine?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

I have only used the ofna one, but from what I know they all work the same, I have never heard of anyone haveing some sort of odd problem with one. I would assume they are all about the same.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default LX-1

HEY RYAN......I HAVE THE LX-1 RIGHT NOW. WES IS RIGHT. THE FAIL SAFE IS A GREAT IDEA. AS FAR AS WHICH ONE. I BOUGHT THE DURATRAX BRAND. IT WAS THE LEAST EXPENSIVE AT MY LOCAL HOBBY SHOP. IT WORKS TOO WELL. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY, YOU CAN USE A RUBBERBAND TO HOLD THE THROTTLE SHUT. THAT WILL WORK UNTIL YOU GET ONE. AS FAR AS THE ENGINE GOES.....I HAVE HAD A FEW CARS AND ENGINES. I HAVE MY OWN BREAK IN PROCEDURE. YOU SHOULD FOLLOW THE FACTORY INSTRUCTIONS, OR YOU HOBBY SHOPS ADVISE. YOUR REGION WILL BE DIFFERENT FROM MINE. THAT WILL EFFECT YOUR ENGINE. UPGRADES ARE MORE TO PERFORMENCE AND/OR STRENGTH. I PERFER THE O.S. BRANDS. I WAS RECENTLY TALKED INTO BUYING A GO TECH .21 5 PORT. FANTASTIC. IF YOU GO WITH O.S. TRY A .21VG. LOOK INTO GETTING A STARTER BOX....YOUR FOREARMS AND FINGERS WILL BE BETTER FOR IT.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ryanroma
Oh and when I get the money to get a spare one, would an Axial .28 Spec 1S be a good replacement engine?
The Axial .28 is an awesome motor. It is not the most powerful .28 on the market by any means. But it is much more powerful than the included motor in the LX one. It holds a tune very well and is good for about 10-12 gallons of fuel if broken in correctly and tuned well.

If you need even more power the Axial .28RR is your ticket, but I dont have any experience with this motor.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Your LX-1

Had one, learned alot with it. First, lets not worry to much about the mill right now. 2. You realy need better servo's. 3. You should go for a five cell batt. pack (rechargeable). 4. Keep an eye on your diff. gears, shim'em right or buy the hardened ones. 5. change the shock oil when you can to 30 or 35 wht. 6. Buy good tools, it makes any work better. 7. Hears the one that breaks your butt, starter box, new, with batts. around 120-150 plus charger. Want to learn more? Go to Nitrohouse.com, they know [U]everything about your ride. More? P.M. me and I'll help as much as I can. Mainly remember, If you hit something hard, the cash flow will scare you. Have a blast.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Working Man
Had one, learned alot with it. First, lets not worry to much about the mill right now. 2. You realy need better servo's. 3. You should go for a five cell batt. pack (rechargeable). 4. Keep an eye on your diff. gears, shim'em right or buy the hardened ones. 5. change the shock oil when you can to 30 or 35 wht. 6. Buy good tools, it makes any work better. 7. Hears the one that breaks your butt, starter box, new, with batts. around 120-150 plus charger. Want to learn more? Go to Nitrohouse.com, they know [U]everything about your ride. More? P.M. me and I'll help as much as I can. Mainly remember, If you hit something hard, the cash flow will scare you. Have a blast.
Thanks.. I knew about the servos.. Would Hitec HS645MGs work fine for throttle and steering? And does the LX-One use a stick RX pack or hump? And I will be sure to throw the rest of my 30wt shock oil in the shocks.. I have a lot of Dynamite tools, so I should be covered on that..
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile

I have same buggy didn't change shock oil,but put on roto start,servos with a picco .28 and can't stop driving it!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Well thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to get a job during Christmas time to get some $ to do stuff to this thing, unless I for some reason actually get some support from my parents on parts..
Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TBIRDOWNER86
IF YOU GO WITH O.S. TRY A .21VG.

I would not buy this particular OS if I were you. It is a POS. Other OS engines may be OK and the previous sport engine the RG was praised but the VG will typically only last 2-3 gallons. Google it for yourself. It will start right up and hold a tune like an OS but wait until you've owned it for awhile. I have already had mine pinched and it's sitting stripped on my bench waiting for new crankcase bearings becuase there is so much play in them that I cannot keep a CB bearing from exploding before each practice day is over. Be careful and research an engine here and on the internet before you get one. You'll have plenty of time to do that though when you are enjoying (hopefully) your stock one. Learn all that you can on that one so you can take good care of a nicer one later. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.