Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Sleeve = New Break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default New Sleeve = New Break-in?

I just realized that the piston in my OS engine is stuck in the sleeve before it hits the top point. I recently took the engine apart and I guess I must have bent the sleeve/piston in the process....

My question is if I replace with a new piston and sleeve, does that mean I need to re-break-in again?

Thanks...
Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Of Course!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:11 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

how can you BEND the sleeve...
Old 08-31-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bboy
I just realized that the piston in my OS engine is stuck in the sleeve before it hits the top point. I recently took the engine apart and I guess I must have bent the sleeve/piston in the process....

My question is if I replace with a new piston and sleeve, does that mean I need to re-break-in again?

Thanks...
That is not stuck that is called (the pinch). That's a good thing. the pinch should leave once the engine is up to temp.

Yes, if you decide to replace the P/S You have to re break the engine in.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lol. i see your an electric guy. its supposed to be that way. when the piston doesnt get stuck is when the motor is worn out.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Ah... I see.. whew... nearly cost me another $100 and breakin.

I agree it seems quite hard to bend the sleeve. However I cannot rotate the crankshaft as smoothly as before after I changed the bearing last weekend thought the shaft would rotate perfectly with no piston attached. Is this ok?

Some of the guys in my track said the engine is getting old and therefore the compression (pinch?) is weak, and therefore I can just turn the shaft around 360 deg by hand, only that there is this one spot that it seems to be stuck, and is which I guess is the piston/sleeve....

Yes, I was an electric but I must admit I now much prefer nitro!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

One more thing, I notice after changing the bearings that my engine has problems reving up. I can get it started no problem, but as soon as I put on the gas, the engine dies.

Did I messed up the bearings? Afterall it was my first.... sigh.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bboy
One more thing, I notice after changing the bearings that my engine has problems reving up. I can get it started no problem, but as soon as I put on the gas, the engine dies.

Did I messed up the bearings? Afterall it was my first.... sigh.

If you just replaced your bearing the crank shaft will show a bit more resitance to turn. Once the bearing has been ran at operating temp it should loosen up a bit. If you engine idle good but dies when you give it gas. Your low end needs adjustment. Remember nitro engines are not design to idle for long periods. It could be too rich or too lean. If it spits a ton of fuel then its too rich. just remember if the engine has been at idle for more than 2 minutes or so it has load up with fuel and any engine would probally stall. Blip the throttle every 5-10 seconds while the engine is idling to prevent this.

Pass you soon...