Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Starter Box trouble >

Starter Box trouble

Starter Box trouble

Old 08-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Starter Box trouble

I have a relatively new Losi starter box. Today it just died and I can't figure out why. It's fully charged. I tested it with my voltager tester.

There is power to the switch and to the two motor but they're not turning.

Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rav_cherry
I have a relatively new Losi starter box. Today it just died and I can't figure out why. It's fully charged. I tested it with my voltager tester.

There is power to the switch and to the two motor but they're not turning.

Any ideas?
Check all your connections but you could have burned up the motors. They are not the best in the world. If they are you can replace them with some really powerful integy 55's for $20. I have the same box my motors are shot. Great box weak motors. You have to let them warm up before use.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Is there a way to check each individual motor? Could one non-functioning motor cause the other not to work?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rav_cherry
Is there a way to check each individual motor? Could one non-functioning motor cause the other not to work?
One working motor would still turn and still be enough to turn your engine over. Not sure about checking each motor individually. I would say if it was a working motor in the box. You should be getting something a hummm a twitch. I thought about putting my OFNA motor in my box but that damn things to heavy. I like the Losi box because it's light even with batts and it fits my losi. The heavy ofna motor would defeat the purpose.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

A common problem - with many starter boxes (not specifically the Losi) can be a dodgy contact where it is made by pressing the lid down
Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

same thing happened to me i bought a brandnew OFNA truestart box and put my buggy on it pushed down and the one motor blew..so with the one motor blown nether of them will spin so i took the motors out and the one motor was still good and the other was shot so im putting twin titans in it
Old 08-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

My Losi starter box motors burned up within the first two weekends of racing. I contacted Horizon Hobbies Service and they said Losi has upgraded the motors, but some of the older boxes were still on retailers' shelves. They sent me two new motors, and 6 months later they're still going strong.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Initiate

great idea!! A bunch of guys at the track experianced the same problem.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use the Losi box too, but never brunt out any of the stock motors. I had issues with there strength breaking in new motors (Even when headed), so I replaced them. Now I have zero problems turning over any of my motors new or old, cold or hot. "IF" you still need more power you may want to look at theses. Great power for little cost. ($13.99 each)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...EARCH=GPMG0700
Old 09-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Anyone know how to remove the pulley from the Losi the starter box without damaging them? I can't quite figure out how they're attached.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikenix
Anyone know how to remove the pulley from the Losi the starter box without damaging them? I can't quite figure out how they're attached.
There press fit, they don't come off. If your replacing the motors you'll need to buy new ones.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...rds=losa+99403