Search

XRAY 808 VS RC8

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default XRAY 808 VS RC8

mk

Last edited by busta774; 10-14-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by busta774
Hi well im looking for a new buggy and ive come down to these two, But i just wanna know what one do you think is the top contender outta these 2 buggies in durability and performance thanks!

Justin
If you are truly considering an 808 then it aint even close. It would be 808 all the way in every category. Now if you just dreaming about the 808 and your pockets really say RC8 then get the RC8 and be happy with it. It is a good buggy. You can't comparing these 2 simply on cost alone not to mention superior build quality and material and craftmanship that the 808 has. A more viable argument or comparison would be a Losi and RC8 or an 808, MP9(when it comes out) or mugen(when it comes out). In this instance the deepness of your pockets is the deciding factor.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by busta774; 10-14-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

money aint a problem ive jus narrowed it down to these 2

Justin
Hey I'm not knocking you but if money aint a problem then you should already have the 808 like yesterday. It's not a comparison between these 2. The Xray is better by far.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have had both and trust me when i say the 808 wears out just like any other buggy....the build quality is really nice, but honestly, i replaced just as many bearings/drive pens as i did on any other buggy.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not knocking the 808, i love the look of it, the build quality and i really want to try one... i say this because i don't think any buggy is the be all and end all, so a little devils advocate here...

The only 808's i have seen so far are the ones i have gone past

Look at things like parts availability in your area, what people are driving at the track (Once in a while you need a part you ran out of and having one or two people driving your car at your local can help you in a spot.). Also if you are relatively new to racing the wealth of experiance people have on a not so spanking new car can help.

I seriously doubt you will be unhappy with either car, particuly with the RC8 about to aquire Big Bore shocks. Xray have a bunch of option parts already to spend your cash on as well...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Hi well im looking for a new buggy and ive come down to these two, But i just wanna know what one do you think is the top contender outta these 2 buggies in durability and performance thanks!

Justin
808 all the way if cost is not an issue. Both cars are good but the 808 already has big bore shocks. So unless the RC8 has a running change the 808 is a plus.

You will be happy with either but the Xray just has a quality that most others just do not have.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I own an 808, and I can seriously say that it has helped to step up my game big time!

I had a losi 8 and a kyosho 777 wc. This car is by far a superior machine. Hands down I'd say it's the best buggy I've owned.
I have yet to finish no less than second place the last 4 time I went racing

3 second place finishes, and 1 first . one of those was a pro series race!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default hey

KING OF LEAN i want to hear your side!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

to all those that think the xray is superior grow up. theyre both top level buggy's the xray is a very nice machine and so is the associated. i recommend going to the track and asking if you can wheel some ones rc8 and some ones 808. i drove the rc8 and was instantly faster then i was with anything ive driven and its the same for the people that switched to the 808. the buggy game has taken a giant leap now it just depends what you like out of them i like the rc8 but the 808 is no slouch and visa versa
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

I had both the RC8 and the 808 this year. I ran the rc8 between january to may and then the 808 mid-may until mid-july. I regret ever owning the 808. Out of 8 races I DNF 5 times due to bearing failures on the 808. In 2 months of ownership of the 808 the parts tally was 2 melted front and 1 rear bulkhead, 2 pinion gears, 2 ring gears, 12 - 13x19 and 8 - 8x14 bearings. This all from bearing failure. The Rc8 required just 3 front shock shafts.

The 808 went through 13x19 bearings every 3 times i ran it. The rc8 I bent 3 front shock shafts due to the laydown shocks exposing the shafts to contact. I did not break any plastic parts on either buggy. Sure Xray released a bulletin on bearing maintanence. It goes for every 1 hour of run time all 18 bearings need to be maintained. That's removal from the buggy, shield removal, degreasing, repacking, shield install, and install into buggy. If you're one of the top ten drivers in your area then 1 hour means 3 x 5 minute heats and 1 X45 minute main. That adds up to 4 hours bearing maintenance for every race. If you don't make the amain then you will not meet the suggested maintenece schedule.

Drive wise I give them equal points. I found the rc8 was better for me. I could just lay on the gas and go 'fast was fast' whereas the 808 was finicky and I found it was a 'slow is fast' driving style.

I give my vote to the RC8. The 808 sucks.

When I got rid of them I sold the rc8 for $250 in may and the 808 for $200 because I couldn't get rid of the 808 fast enough. For a perspective I paid $440 for the Rc8 and $550 for the 808.

I am currently running my last years buggy a Mugen MBX5R. My choices for 2009 will be from Mugen, associated, or Jammin.

Last edited by Toycar5; 08-26-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cheesecake
to all those that think the xray is superior grow up. theyre both top level buggy's the xray is a very nice machine and so is the associated. i recommend going to the track and asking if you can wheel some ones rc8 and some ones 808. i drove the rc8 and was instantly faster then i was with anything ive driven and its the same for the people that switched to the 808. the buggy game has taken a giant leap now it just depends what you like out of them i like the rc8 but the 808 is no slouch and visa versa
True true, but I'm having a hard time with the fact that your previous car was an OCM. Anything is better than that!Just joking.

And I'm pretty sure I'm done being all growed up.

But when I say the Xray 808 is a superior car, I meant it has performed beyond expectations without a single modification. As opposed to my Jammin, Losi 8, Kyosho 777, and even my Xray xb8. I think running the pro series has shown how well I have pregressed with my car. 1st race I still had the kyosho, finished in the middle of the pack, nothing note worthy. second pro series race I had my 808 and I finished 6th in the A,then in my 3rd pro series race I finished 2nd in the A. I have High expectations when I go to the pro series finals in Texas.

The bet thing about it is that it has restored my confidence, and when you have confidence in what your driving, you make less mental errors and do even better!

I honestly think it's up to people like me to help sell this car, because most people don't believe the team drivers when they say this car is the most solid preformer to date. They just assume that because they are on the team, that they have to say what ever the sponsors want them to say.

Hopefully They will sponsor me, then I too can loose all credibility!

Last edited by xlgraphicspro; 08-26-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toycar5
When I got rid of them I sold the rc8 for $250 in may and the 808 for $200 because I couldn't get rid of the 808 fast enough. For a perspective I paid $440 for the Rc8 and $550 for the 808.
Holy crap, I wish I knew you were selling an 808 for such a steal. sorry you had so much trouble with it. I'm the exact opposite. 4 1/2 gallons through my car and I'm still on the orriginal bearings. I have to admit that I am always on top of my maintenance, I haven't given them the chance to bust. as a precaution though I will replace them all before the proseries finals.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Interesting thread.

Maintenance aside, "better" is a subjective term I think, as every buggy "likes" a certain type of driving style. Depending on how you wheel, you're going to love or hate whatever you're driving.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fiveoboy01
Interesting thread.

Maintenance aside, "better" is a subjective term I think, as every buggy "likes" a certain type of driving style. Depending on how you wheel, you're going to love or hate whatever you're driving.
+1

I guess this is why I drive a Losi. 808 is just an improved Losi meaning they paid more attention to detail used supposedly better material and craftmanship. I don't want to have that losi8 808 similarities argument.

You have to buy the car that fits your style. For the pro's and con's of all the buggy's on the market each prefers to be handled a certain way. It's a matter of are you the right driver for a particular brand of buggy. Not whether that buggy is a good buggy or not. It's only a good buggy if the driver and buggy can work in unison. Driving, handling, jumping and most importamt maintenance.

I still believe that the Xray's build quality and materials used is superior to the RC8. Now whether are not your the right driver for an 808 is the question. Me peresonally I just can't get over the price tag. My Losi does everything an Xray does for $200 less. Not to mention I have yet to have any breakage issues. That everyone else seems to harp about on losi's. i.e. servos, split tanks and slop ect.

Durability issues with most buggys is a matter of maintenance and treatment of said buggy. If your not an anal maintenance person then you should never buy a high maintenance buggy.

With all that said I doubt that driving either buggy for 15 mins. Can give you the real picture of how the two of you will work together. My thought is always by the one you love and dream about. If your not dreaming about a particular buggy then this aint the hobby for you. Loving what you drive makes all the issues seem to dissapear or atleast be insignificant. Trust me I'm married.