Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
eZRUN brushless system >

eZRUN brushless system

eZRUN brushless system

Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hobbywing, wich would be the motor to get if race 1/10 touring 13,5 brushless class ?

thanks,

Pat
Old 02-26-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kistner
anyone with any experience with the ezrun 17.5 motor? would this motor be ok for vintage trans am?
Kistner, got my 17.5 motor and put in in my old tamiya EVO IV geared at 4.1:1 overall gear ratio and went as slow as a wet week. Even with a lipo 4000mha I'd say it was as equal to a Stadium Racer out of the box,a bit disappointing. But that was with a 35A-SL speedo(that was already mounted in on the chassis). I'm gonna try a 60amp-SL speedo tomorrow with maybe some lower gearing if the weather holds out. Mr. Jack Zang from Hobby Wing said "usually we think it is a slow motor, but maybe it is suitable for some special racings or beginners."
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TBOTubed
Kistner, got my 17.5 motor and put in in my old tamiya EVO IV geared at 4.1:1 overall gear ratio and went as slow as a wet week. Even with a lipo 4000mha I'd say it was as equal to a Stadium Racer out of the box,a bit disappointing. But that was with a 35A-SL speedo(that was already mounted in on the chassis). I'm gonna try a 60amp-SL speedo tomorrow with maybe some lower gearing if the weather holds out. Mr. Jack Zang from Hobby Wing said "usually we think it is a slow motor, but maybe it is suitable for some special racings or beginners."
A 17.5 should be about 3.5 FDR
Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The 17.5 is alright, i've got one running in a B4, it cogs a bit though on start up
Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

for VTA they suggest 3.5 to 3.7 with the 17.5. Would the lower gearing help or hurt the cogging at startup?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Got the 65A-SL speedo in and bingo! Back up to speed. Funny that the 35 amp speedo was sufficient with earlier tested Typhoon 2250KV motor and I needed to up the amps to get the 17.5 to get the same performance, oh well, I'm perectly happy at the moment with the Hobbywing set up. It is a good substitute for silver cans in my opinion. Timing the speedo is great for fine tuning the performance level of the motor.

Kistner, I think it would be a option for what you were looking for in a replacement for trans am. I've ssen some testing on a Novak 21.5 for simular pourposes and I think the Hobbywing is a better deal. I found that cogging became more evident the lower number my FDR was. Gonna still have a play with punch, timing and gearing.

Drifting101- Thanks For the info. Is that written down somewhere or is it you own personal wealth of knowledge?

Last edited by TBOTubed; 02-27-2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: better wording
Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TBOTubed
Got the 65A-SL speedo in and bingo! Back up to speed. Funny that the 35 amp speedo was sufficient with earlier tested Typhoon 2250KV motor and I needed to up the amps to get the 17.5 to get the same performance, oh well, I'm perectly happy at the moment with the Hobbywing set up. It is a good substitute for silver cans in my opinion. Timing the speedo is great for fine tuning the performance level of the motor.

Kistner, I think it would be a option for what you were looking for in a replacement for trans am. I've ssen some testing on a Novak 21.5 for simular pourposes and I think the Hobbywing is a better deal. I found that cogging became more evident the lower number my FDR was. Gonna still have a play with punch, timing and gearing.

Drifting101- Thanks For the info. Is that written down somewhere or is it you own personal wealth of knowledge?
On Novak's website

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/b...r_gearing.html
Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Ive been offline for a little while but I had a similar problem to Drift 101 with a 3300kv hobby wing motor that was part of a 35a Combo going dud.

I had used it initially in the mini and then in my Xray and it was pretty quick in my TC, but after the missus used it for about 30 mins straight one day practicing at slow speeds it was cogging badly and undrivable. I pulled everything apart and then run it unmounted and after a 30 second test with it cogging badly and not getting anywhere the motor got extremely hot. After it cooled I pulled it apart and couldn't find a fault anywhere and check all the plugs as suggested. I couldnt be arsed with it anymore and I chucked it out and ive sorted out one of these team powers 17.5s to go with the hobby wing 35amp esc.

Ive had a couple of runs a the track and it seems to run fine racing with only minimal coggin at low speeds and after 5 minutes both the speedy and the motor come off the track barely warm. It's only when car park thrashing with the missus and it gets a bit coggy at lower speeds. This really isnt a problem I dont think and marrying this sensorless esc and a sensored motor seems to work. One thing i found is that when we soldered the motor up a to a, b to b and c to c it ran in reverse. So like with the Hobbywing motor i just changed 2 of the wire positions and it runs fine.

Now im not sure if its because of a serious design fault on the older Xrays(fk05) but i can only get my gearing down to 4.9 and its got no top end at all. Its great for the missus to drive in novice but its stuffed if i want to drive it in stock. Not enough top end but plenty of punch out of the corners and its top end is as slow as a silver can. A lot of people at the track are running hellfire motors or CO27's and i cant keep up. Ive never driven a 17.5 before but plenty of 27 turns and if this is where stock is going, Urgh, I'm sticking to Super Stock

Not sure what to do so do any of you guys think changing over to a 60 amp esc would make much of a difference? I don't think its the batteries as im running new Ip3800 35c Lipos and its a brand new motor so unless these powers motors are crap? It look's like re branded SP. Maybe i need to update my gears to get the desired ratios for speed, Or this could be a good excuse to get a new Chassis

Im tempted to put this 17.5 combo in the mini and run it in Novice to see how it goes with that gearing as a comparison. Thoughts anyone???
Old 02-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

^^ It was a 3000kv combo, and it was the ESC not the motor. But after testing it is in like a brushed mode?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi guy just a question, i have the 35a version and running it with a Speed passion 10.5r on 5.4 FDR but it is cogging badly at low speed and recommendation on what i should do? what is the setting that you advice me to change on the esc to reduce the cogging

thanks
Eazy
Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Buy a real sensored ESC

The Hobbywing systems are designed to be run with the Hobbywing sensorless motors. You risk cogging running high turn motors (10.5 17.5 etc) with these ESC's.

I cant believe people purchase these ESC's and expect them to be miracle workers. They are a good economical system when run with the right motors
Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TBOTubed, think it, the 17.5, would run ok with a sidewinder esc?

and what is the deal with whole number turns versus the .5 turns. I have not found that explained anywhere. previously I thought it had something to do with sensored versus sensorless - but these ezrun motors are sensorless with .5 turns?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Eazy
hi guy just a question, i have the 35a version and running it with a Speed passion 10.5r on 5.4 FDR but it is cogging badly at low speed and recommendation on what i should do? what is the setting that you advice me to change on the esc to reduce the cogging

thanks
Eazy
Try mess with the ESC timing, maybe it will work.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Virtually every brand of sensorless ESC has problems running high turn (10.5, 17.5 etc) sensored motors with the sensors disconnected. It is just that simple

They virtualy all have the coggingissue on take off. When running they are generally ok but from start ...
Old 02-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Hua
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi guys, i thought of going into brushless system and planned to get a EZ-run brushless set...Bcos im still using Brushed motor..and im not into racing prefer to drive for fun..

But before tat, i got some question would like to ask about brushless system: 1) how long they last for a run with a pack of Ni-Mh 3300MAH pack battery?
2) And those Amp like 35A, 60A esc, wat they means? isit the output current?
with a lower 35A esc means lesser curent drawn from battery but lesser power?
3) How do i differenciate the type of KV motor which is equavilent to how much turn of the motor? (eg. 3000KV = how much turn of a brushed motor.)

Any guys out there able to tell me ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.