Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROTOform "R9-R" Racebody

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

don't know exactly from experience with this new body and the 007, but it's pretty common to see the highest point on the shock tower ground down 2-3mm for carpet bodies to fit as low as we wanted them to. just CA the tower again after you grind it and you will be fine.

Great Looking body, Dale.
Trying to get my hands on one now!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dale- After thinking about how to word my findings of this weekends test this is what I have come up with. Going with my standard set up these are the results.

AP Stratus- Very stable plenty of all around grip. Under steers(or pushes depending on which racing term you want to use) Small adjustments could have been made to get more steering.

Mazda 6- Also very stable and good grip. Steering is much better than the AP stratus and the rear end doesn't feel as locked into place. Wanted just a hair more off power steering which a set up adjustment (droop) gave me.

R9-R- Wasn't too stable in the low speed corners. At high speeds it would wash out because I kept over correcting due to the insane turn it the car had. Came back to the pits and Lowered my rear roll center 0.075 which had the rear even with the front. Still super twitchy. Added rear toe to the car so hopefully make it better in the slow sections but the rear end still kept washing out.

After all this I just put the set up back to standard and put the Mazda back on. Maybe the R9-R will work with a dedicated set up but I didn't want to get away from my standard set up too much just for one body. Small changes are made from track to track for the first two bodies mentioned but nothing drastic. The R9 feels like it will really need a full day of nothing but testing inorder to find a happy medium. That's not something that I can get done in the 2-3 hours of practice before a race day. A few others found pretty much the same thing so for now we are just going to set the body aside and wait and see if it receives a running change. The Mazda 6 will remain the body of choice for most of us average club racers.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I saw one running Sunday. The guy ran it and was having problems, 2 minutes later he switched to the Mazda 6 and it seemed alot more planted.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default r9-r

Originally Posted by Foodie
Will it fit on a Xray T2007? I mean the shock tower etc. can they clear under the hood of this body?
yes this body will fit and all i did was put tape where the shock towers will be touching the car and sweet looking body i felt the car was really planted in the slower areas on the track and did wash out a bit in rear but we had some tight corners and some sweepers and with mod motors still had to be easy on throttle until car was straight again
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just ordered two R9-R shells to try out. I disliked the shell at first, but it grew on me, and tuning my car is 90% of my enjoyment. Hopefully it works well at my track. I actually do like the paint on the site, which gold color change is that? Spazstix? I want to use it in my star that you see in my avatar.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Dale- After thinking about how to word my findings of this weekends test this is what I have come up with. Going with my standard set up these are the results.

AP Stratus- Very stable plenty of all around grip. Under steers(or pushes depending on which racing term you want to use) Small adjustments could have been made to get more steering.

Mazda 6- Also very stable and good grip. Steering is much better than the AP stratus and the rear end doesn't feel as locked into place. Wanted just a hair more off power steering which a set up adjustment (droop) gave me.

R9-R- Wasn't too stable in the low speed corners. At high speeds it would wash out because I kept over correcting due to the insane turn it the car had. Came back to the pits and Lowered my rear roll center 0.075 which had the rear even with the front. Still super twitchy. Added rear toe to the car so hopefully make it better in the slow sections but the rear end still kept washing out.

After all this I just put the set up back to standard and put the Mazda back on. Maybe the R9-R will work with a dedicated set up but I didn't want to get away from my standard set up too much just for one body. Small changes are made from track to track for the first two bodies mentioned but nothing drastic. The R9 feels like it will really need a full day of nothing but testing inorder to find a happy medium. That's not something that I can get done in the 2-3 hours of practice before a race day. A few others found pretty much the same thing so for now we are just going to set the body aside and wait and see if it receives a running change. The Mazda 6 will remain the body of choice for most of us average club racers.
Where did you mount the wing? i remeber reading somewhere lemuix saying you had to mount the wing really far back to give more rear downforce. you may want to try that.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Where did you mount the wing? i remeber reading somewhere lemuix saying you had to mount the wing really far back to give more rear downforce. you may want to try that.
Did that and it didn't help.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

how is the handling of this bodysheell?? is it agressive???
Old 09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Did that and it didn't help.
What about 'shifting' your rear wheelbase forward 2mm? Try that with 2.5-3mm of rear toe and the wing change. That's not too drastic of a set-up change.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayBee
What about 'shifting' your rear wheelbase forward 2mm? Try that with 2.5-3mm of rear toe and the wing change. That's not too drastic of a set-up change.
Sounds good but I don't plan on running the body again to try it. I'm going to stick with the Mazda 6.....or wait for Hara to run it and produce a set up using it.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Sounds good but I don't plan on running the body again to try it. I'm going to stick with the Mazda 6.....or wait for Hara to run it and produce a set up using it.
Stop being lazy brah.....it's only 15minutes outta your raceday
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayBee
Stop being lazy brah.....it's only 15minutes outta your raceday
Not lazy....GETTIN' OLD
Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

So I just spent hours on mounting up the new shell, and then I stumble across this thread and my bubble is about to burst.

The thing is I have my car tuned to the point that its on the ragged edge in terms of having tons of steering. We have a big (important to me) race this weekend I am am hesitant to waste any time testing with this body.

My question is; Are those of you who are having troubles with the shell cutting the wing on the second line (smallest surface area)? Or are you leaving as much wing as you can.
Attached Thumbnails PROTOform "R9-R" Racebody-img_1373.jpg   PROTOform "R9-R" Racebody-img_1376.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Just finished mounting my r9r. Car is definatly slammed to the ground and it looks great too. Just been playing around in the parking lot at work thus far and it definatly has a lot more steering than my ms6. I will end up testing it next weekend at the roar regional to see how it does.

To me this body seems like it may have been an experiment to see what happens when you go to the absolutle limit of the rules on a body...something tells me the next protoform will be something a little toned back from this body. Dale I noticed on the rear corners you have a little flare up like a mini spoiler I am looking at my dna2 right next to it and the flare up goes across the whole trunk area...is this purely for looks or does this create extra rear downforce?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Not lazy....GETTIN' OLD
pfffft....not GETTIN' OLD...

You GOT OLD!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.