Community
Wiki Posts
Search

stuck piston retainer clips

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Adept

Default stuck piston retainer clips

I am in the middle of replacing the conrod. I just notice that the retainer clips in the piston have no ears and hence a piler cannot get hold of the clips. I tried to use a needle to pop the clips out, but the clips just move around the wristpin grooves. Is there any other ways to get the clips out? I don't want to buy a new piston and sleeve just because of the stupid clips.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Try an exacto-blade.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
Try an exacto-blade.

I tried, but the blade is not strong enough to pop the clips. My blade now has a dent.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

I'm going to start by assuming we are not dealing with one of the newer Nova motors with tangless clips and removal grooves. While we were doing battle with the RB AAC motors two years ago clip loss was a common failure mode so I was just clipping them off up front - if it became necessary to change a rod (yeah like one would ever last that long) I would just rotate
the clip so the gap was at the bottom and then I would use a small carbide burr (1/16th" - 1.6mm) to cut a notch - then rotate the clip again and pop it out with a small pick or your now damaged x-acto.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
I'm going to start by assuming we are not dealing with one of the newer Nova motors with tangless clips and removal grooves. While we were doing battle with the RB AAC motors two years ago clip loss was a common failure mode so I was just clipping them off up front - if it became necessary to change a rod (yeah like one would ever last that long) I would just rotate
the clip so the gap was at the bottom and then I would use a small carbide burr (1/16th" - 1.6mm) to cut a notch - then rotate the clip again and pop it out with a small pick or your now damaged x-acto.
Rick, I tried your method and it works!! Thanks for your help.