Wiki Posts
Search

how to build a rock crawler

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Lightbulb how to build a rock crawler

i just got a slash and built an obstacle course and started to get intrested in crawling. but how can i build a cheap crawler? im gonna get a stampede roller and use the tranny but i heard you can build a crawler with a metal rod. if you have any pics of your homemade crawler please post
Old 08-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The cheapest crawler is probably the Axial AX-10, or probably the new losi crawler. If you want to build a total custom one yourself, you are going to need axles. In my opinion, the best axles are the TLT and Axial axles for 1/10 scale because if you ever decide to upgrade, there are lots of parts to get for it. You can get a set of used axles for about $100.

If you want to have the best axles right off the bat, don't buy any kit. Buy either the TLT or Axial axle halves, then buy upgraded MIP driveshafts, high clearance axle C's, max turn radius knuckles, and copper alloy gears.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is the best site for rock crawling.All the info you will ever need. www.rccrawler.com
Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It depends cause crawlers can get $$. Just depends on how far u get into them. MIne I have quite a bit invested.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

Wheelie King.

Lock the diffs, remove the rear brace, drop some weight into the front end....

Cheap as chips.

If you want to go further there is various kits to increase the wheelbase and you can drop in a super slow motor and mount some crawler wheels and tires.

Still cheap as, Sure it wont be competition grade but if thats what your looking for then be prepared to spend some cold hard cash.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
It depends cause crawlers can get $$. Just depends on how far u get into them. MIne I have quite a bit invested.
x2,I just sunk about $700 in my last comp rig!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

How fast can comp crawlers go in a straight? Like top speed.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shurcooL
How fast can comp crawlers go in a straight? Like top speed.
depends on your motor and gearing.But on average I would say maybe 5-10 mph tops.They are not straight line beasts,low gears and torque are key in crawling.You could build a rock racer and get alittle more speed than a dedicated crawler but you would sacrifice some crawling ability.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i just want to build a nice looking scale crawler cheaply.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cm367700
i just want to build a nice looking scale crawler cheaply.
Like I said earlier check out www.rccrawler.com Look in the scale section in the forums,you will be amazed at some of the rigs people have built!Also you can find TONS of info there!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mack_Mechanic
depends on your motor and gearing.But on average I would say maybe 5-10 mph tops.They are not straight line beasts,low gears and torque are key in crawling.You could build a rock racer and get alittle more speed than a dedicated crawler but you would sacrifice some crawling ability.
Ok, thanks a lot for answering.

I haven't been able to find the answer to that question anywhere for the last year or so I've been into RC cars. Though I never asked it specifically.

The reason I asked is because I'm somewhat interested in crawlers, but I can see now that a competition crawler rig is not for me. What I'd really like is more of a general "4wd off-road truck" with locked diffs, something that can do a *little* crawling, such as in a forest, etc. but can also run on-road. Basically, a vehicle that can go anywhere (or as close as possible to it).

It seems the comp crawlers are too good at their specific target goal, so good, that they can't be run on simple paved surfaces, hehe.

An off-road truck with a 20~ mph top speed would be more up to it, as I'd like to have it able to lose traction/drift/throw dirt around, not just crawl over rocks at 1 mph (mostly because I don't have any rocks that a real crawler would require nearby).

I think Tamiya had some really nice 1/10 4wd trucks like that, based on the CC-01/XC chassis (Volkswagen Touareg, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc.), but they've all been discontinued and are impossible to get... Hmm, when looking up the above info again, I found there's some sort of a new re-release of the Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero. That's interesting.

P.S. I know about the Tamiya Ford F-350 4x4 High Lift kit, but I don't like it. And it's waaay too expensive.

Last edited by shurcooL; 08-13-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shurcooL
Ok, thanks a lot for answering.

I haven't been able to find the answer to that question anywhere for the last year or so I've been into RC cars. Though I never asked it specifically.

The reason I asked is because I'm somewhat interested in crawlers, but I can see now that a competition crawler rig is not for me. What I'd really like is more of a general "4wd off-road truck" with locked diffs, something that can do a *little* crawling, such as in a forest, etc. but can also run on-road. Basically, a vehicle that can go anywhere (or as close as possible to it).

It seems the comp crawlers are too good at their specific target goal, so good, that they can't be run on simple paved surfaces, hehe.

An off-road truck with a 20~ mph top speed would be more up to it, as I'd like to have it able to lose traction/drift/throw dirt around, not just crawl over rocks at 1 mph (mostly because I don't have any rocks that a real crawler would require nearby).

I think Tamiya had some really nice 1/10 4wd trucks like that, based on the CC-01/XC chassis (Volkswagen Touareg, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc.), but they've all been discontinued and are impossible to get... Hmm, when looking up the above info again, I found there's some sort of a new re-release of the Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero. That's interesting.

P.S. I know about the Tamiya Ford F-350 4x4 High Lift kit, but I don't like it. And it's waaay too expensive.
Get an old version of the E-Maxx and lock the diffs if that's what you need.

It will go fairly fast and can run over some decent obstacles with a 2 speed transmission.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by macr0w
Get an old version of the E-Maxx and lock the diffs if that's what you need.

It will go fairly fast and can run over some decent obstacles with a 2 speed transmission.
No, thanks. I guess I forgot to mention, but the scale look plays a factor as well.

I just hate the way Monster Trucks look, they're not for me.

Besides, an E-MAXX is pretty expensive from what I've seen. I was looking for something in the $200 range, and that Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero re-release is in that range.

Ok, maybe I've gone too off-topic. I'll stop.