Search

1/8 clutch Tunning Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default 1/8 clutch Tunning Question

So, how do you know what springs to use with your engine?? Is there some
kind of rule of thumb,I always ran the mugen aluminum clutch shoes, and since switched to the dynamite max life shoes,and always used 1.0 springs,I used to run a Rb s5 and currently im running a orion crf, any information would be appreciated to better learn clutch tunning
Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default Springs

The 1.0 springs will give you a smoother bottom end, or in other words they wont have they snappy feeling that the stiffer, 1.1 springs will have. 1.1 springs give you that snap on the bottom end where you can lift the front end a little. I have never had an engine that couldn't handle 1.1 springs, however I have heard people say that some engines just dont have the torque to handle 1.1 springs. If your running a buggy stick with 1.0, truggy 1.1...
Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

1.0 springs will engage faster than 1.1 springs. Aluminum shoes will engage faster than carbon or nylon shoes and will not slip as much, so aluminum shoes would be great for high traction tracks. Some clutch kits come with a couple different kinds of clutch springs too. The question is do you want "right now" power or not?

Just my $.02

Last edited by crazy4wdracer; 08-10-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer
1.1 springs will engage faster than 1.0 springs. Aluminum shoes will engage faster than carbon or nylon shoes and will not slip as much, so aluminum shoes would be great for high traction tracks. Some clutch kits come with a couple different kinds of clutch springs too. The question is do you want "right now" power or not?

Just my $.02

ummm....1.0's will engage first....not 1.1's.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

I understand the engagement, as far as spring tension, I was asking how to know when to switch to different springs?? some guys use .9, and some guys use up to 1.1's, I just dont know how to feel or know the difference by looking at my clutch.. Recently i notice my springs seem to be overheating, does that mean i should switch to 1.1's??
Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
I understand the engagement, as far as spring tension, I was asking how to know when to switch to different springs?? some guys use .9, and some guys use up to 1.1's, I just dont know how to feel or know the difference by looking at my clutch.. Recently i notice my springs seem to be overheating, does that mean i should switch to 1.1's??
Just experiment with different springs and run the which ones you like the best.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

if your springs look overheated (rainbowed), does that mean they need to be stiffer??? I like the 1.0 feel, but the spring looked overheated and i was told that could also cause excess motor heat if the clutch isnt rite
Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Lord

Just experiment with different springs and run the which ones you like the best.

do u not understand giving BS advice like your previous post confuses new guys.....this guy now thinks he needs 1.1's

jabroni racing...what motor what truck and what kind of track....you say u ran 1.0's but they looked like they got hott ? what kind of clutch are we talkin here ? 1.0's are in general the safest bet for stall......u can get away with a softer spring set-up if the motor has the Power to overcome the early engagement and actually push the truck....where as a low power .21 might need some Clutch snap to compensate for the lack of bottom end to get the truck up and rolling......there's Sooo many factor's to what clutch and what stall for which motor...but we need details first.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

1.0 springs will engage faster than 1.1 springs. Aluminum shoes will engage faster than carbon or nylon shoes and will not slip as much, so aluminum shoes would be great for high traction tracks. Some clutch kits come with a couple different kinds of clutch springs too. The question is do you want "right now" power or not?

Just my $.02

PS changing the post after the fact is pretty lame if u ask me.....
Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Integra, Im not a newbie, I just have never had to mess with my clutch before..LOL.. so i never learned how to judge.. Im running a mbx5, stock gearing, I have always ran 1.0's springs, and im useing dynamite maxlife shoes, they are carbon aluminum mix, My current motor is a Orion crf .21
Thanx ..
Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
do u not understand giving BS advice like your previous post confuses new guys.....this guy now thinks he needs 1.1's

jabroni racing...what motor what truck and what kind of track....you say u ran 1.0's but they looked like they got hott ? what kind of clutch are we talkin here ? 1.0's are in general the safest bet for stall......u can get away with a softer spring set-up if the motor has the Power to overcome the early engagement and actually push the truck....where as a low power .21 might need some Clutch snap to compensate for the lack of bottom end to get the truck up and rolling......there's Sooo many factor's to what clutch and what stall for which motor...but we need details first.
Originally Posted by Integra
PS changing the post after the fact is pretty lame if u ask me.....
Whatever. Oh, and he already said which engine he was running in his first post, LOL.