Wiki Posts
Search

Oils ain't Oils!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Oils ain't Oils!

I have been running EDL and First Press Casta in my OS Tr and just can't seem to get the thing to have any top speed. I have in the past ran a combination of klotz and gumed casta and am thinking it was a better combination?

Sugeestions?
Old 08-31-2003, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Oils ain't Oils!

Originally posted by hooked_on
I have been running EDL and First Press Casta in my OS Tr and just can't seem to get the thing to have any top speed. I have in the past ran a combination of klotz and gumed casta and am thinking it was a better combination?

Sugeestions?
I make my own fuel and use Klotz oils (Benöl and Original Techniplate), simply switching to a different oils you may not notice anything, you may need to play with the oil percentages (% synth and % Castor).

Did many tests, and put mine results here some times. You can see the results pointing at those links:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...otz#post470941

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...otz#post388256

If you're on the blending your own fuel, probably find those posts interesting and have some word done. (Beware going with 10% of oil or less on Novarossi engines, carb adj. is vital for your life).
Old 08-31-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey corse....

You strucka chord with me with the Benol..

Wildcat Fuels uses Benol also(they make trintitys fuel also).....

Do you have any problem blending the fuel?...

heres a qoute from wildcats site on blending....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildcat Fuels are blended by volume to ensure proper proportions. Wildcat uses computer certified blending and Microstir (Nitrogen Molecular blending) technologies. We double filter our fuels to a 10 micro purity the highest in the industry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we achieve the same level of blending in our garages?...
Old 08-31-2003, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry
hey corse....

You strucka chord with me with the Benol..

Wildcat Fuels uses Benol also(they make trintitys fuel also).....

Do you have any problem blending the fuel?...

heres a qoute from wildcats site on blending....

Can we achieve the same level of blending in our garages?...
Uhm... good question, Fuel manufacturers blend their fuels going for a particular Specific Gravity, this needs some kind of equipment who is out of reach for the normal user, so blending by percentages rather than volume is another way of reaching this goal.

I have some tubes (100, 250 & 1000cc) rated Class A to do the mix (on big races where are very picky on the Specific Gravity I measure the weight of the fuel and they need to give me 870 grams per litre of fuel to be on the limit and not make the bowl float on the Nitromax tester.

About fuel blending, some precautions needs to be made, but Klotz oils didn't gave me a problem blending with Methanol and Nitro. Only as a precaution I shake the fuel before using to ensure that all components are blended.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Uhm...

Probably isn't the place to say this and in some cases can be taken as cheating (rules are very clear: Fuel is only composed by Methanol, oil and Nitromethane - no other component should be used), but found that Oxygenated Water (H2O2) yields a slightly advantage on fuels used on High air temperatures and is readily available.

Main tradeoff is the quantity of the Oxygenated Water needed to get an advantage (we're talking about a 6 to 9%). Other tradeoffs is the rust caused (don't forget that we're talking of adding water to the fuel, but Methanol is sourced from water).

Other components that can be added to fuels, but are really banned are Hidracyne (warning: Highly Cancerous and makes fuel very unstable - is the main fuel of the Solid Rocket Boosters from Shuttle), MTBE and in lesser results ETBE. If anyone wants to do tests with those substances, take care with them and wear protection when dealing with it (and of course, don't try on official racing).
Old 08-31-2003, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Corse-R
Uhm...

Probably isn't the place to say this and in some cases can be taken as cheating (rules are very clear: Fuel is only composed by Methanol, oil and Nitromethane - no other component should be used), but found that Oxygenated Water (H2O2) yields a slightly advantage on fuels used on High air temperatures and is readily available.

Main tradeoff is the quantity of the Oxygenated Water needed to get an advantage (we're talking about a 6 to 9%). Other tradeoffs is the rust caused (don't forget that we're talking of adding water to the fuel, but Methanol is sourced from water).

Other components that can be added to fuels, but are really banned are Hidracyne (warning: Highly Cancerous and makes fuel very unstable - is the main fuel of the Solid Rocket Boosters from Shuttle), MTBE and in lesser results ETBE. If anyone wants to do tests with those substances, take care with them and wear protection when dealing with it (and of course, don't try on official racing).
Excuse me Mr Collari.

You can buy hydrometers to measure relative density of the nitro and i think there is quite a difference(content amount)between measuring by volume compared to density.I was going to a while back mix my own fuels but found it to be a headache and much easier just to buy off the shelf stuff.

hooked_on,where did you get the EDL oil from and what percentages in oil and nitro are you running?
Old 08-31-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Corse..let me bring up something else..since you mentioned that no other ingrediants should be used..

And I'll quote Wildcats web site again...

[

Oil Packages &Additives: Wildcat fuels contain a proprietary additive package formulated by Klotz Performance products for us to enhance performance and protect your engine. Wildcat's oil all contain Klotz Clean Burn™ technology which reduces carbon and residue build-up. Extreme film strength engineered to reduce engine component wear and build horsepower.

Detergents: Wildcat contains detergents keep insolubles in suspension allowing them to be washed from the engine without forming deposits.

Pressure Additives: Wildcat contains pressure additives to prevent seizing under conditions of extreme temperature and pressure.

Rust inhibitor: Wildcat contains the best anti-rust inhibitors in the industry, Klotz technology is first in model engine protection.

Anti-Foaming Agents: Wildcat contains agents designed to reduce fuel foaming.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about all these things....

Evo might be right...its easier to buy off the shelf....

Evo....Since I heard your in Europe..have you ever tried Model Techniques Quickfire?....
Old 08-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
You can buy hydrometers to measure relative density of the nitro and i think there is quite a difference(content amount)between measuring by volume compared to density.I was going to a while back mix my own fuels but found it to be a headache and much easier just to buy off the shelf stuff.
All two methods are valid, but in spite all two ways get to the same place, mixing fuels by density is more hard, needs precision scales to measure the weight of the components. Mixing by volume is far easier to do in-house.

Some time ago used commercial fuels, but got scated and decided to make my own fuel with my own oil percentages (haven't found a readily available fuel that meets mine oil percentages - Most near is the RB fuel, but is unavailable at my country so I need to blend mine own).

Having the posibility of varying the percentages gives you much flexibility, but to have results you need to make quite numerous tests and people many times aren't eager to do those tests and buy a commercial fuel.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Excuse me Mr Collari.

hooked_on,where did you get the EDL oil from and what percentages in oil and nitro are you running?
I got the EDL from my LHS. I am running 15% nitro, 6% EDL & 6% First Press Casta. I have noticed as the fuel gets older it changes colour, i am not sure if this effects it at all.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:27 PM
bt
Tech Adept

Default fuels

Using cool power castor and synthetic and had good results seems to make motor run cooler to some other fuels available over counter here in oz.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Tech Addict

I thought CoolPower mainly was used for airplanes etc, rather then cars?
Old 09-03-2003, 02:58 AM
bt
Tech Adept

Default cool power/ morgans fuels

yeah morgan make cool power fuel and oils for planes but what im talking about is just the pure oils(castor/synthetic)that you can get from them very high quality and the oils are the basis of the high quality fuel called sidewinder that is a car and buggy fuel