Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GP 3300 pack acting weird

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Unhappy GP 3300 pack acting weird

I have a pack of fairly new Trinity GP 3300's. They have about 2-4 runs on them. I run it till the car moves slowly. Then I go charge it on my Novak Millenium v.1.2, set the amps at 5, trickle off, voltage threshhold at 4mv. Then I start charging. It finishes charging at 535mah!!! Then when I go back out to run it, the runtime is only 5-7 minutes!!! My 2400 sport packs last longer!. I don't think its my charger. I have an identical pack with a bit more runs on them and they run/charge fine. I am running a Monster Stock Pro motor. Pinion/spur gearing is 23/87.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Domo..this is only a guess but I think a good place to start is the way you're "discharging". Everything I've seen and heard about GP's says not to drain them the way we use to do with NiCad's.Just let it cool down after a run and then recharge.
Also..I had a similar problem with one of my packs. I decided to tear it down and rebuild it. Problem solved !!!!! The NMH's are sensitive to proper soldering. You can't allow alot of solder between the bar and the battery. Also, make sure you scuff the surface before soldering.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

may be a dead cell
Old 08-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: GP 3300 pack acting weird

Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
I have a pack of fairly new Trinity GP 3300's. They have about 2-4 runs on them. I run it till the car moves slowly. Then I go charge it on my Novak Millenium v.1.2, set the amps at 5, trickle off, voltage threshhold at 4mv. Then I start charging. It finishes charging at 535mah!!!
The charger false peaked. At this point you should hit the start button again and it should charge it all the way up again. The batts should come off the charger at about 115 degrees F.

You should let the batts cool down after a run and after charging.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: GP 3300 pack acting weird

Originally posted by Headbanger
The charger false peaked. At this point you should hit the start button again and it should charge it all the way up again. The batts should come off the charger at about 115 degrees F.

You should let the batts cool down after a run and after charging.
It is the charger's fault or the battery?
Old 08-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Tech Adept

New batteries tend to false peak if the voltage threshold is set too low. I usually set it to 4mv/24 for the pack. After a few runs of charging/discharging, you can push it back down to 3mv per cell.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Well I guess the pack "loosened up". I charged it again and it went up to 2935mAh. I didnt restart the charge either.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by Evoracer
Domo..this is only a guess but I think a good place to start is the way you're "discharging". Everything I've seen and heard about GP's says not to drain them the way we use to do with NiCad's.Just let it cool down after a run and then recharge.
Also..I had a similar problem with one of my packs. I decided to tear it down and rebuild it. Problem solved !!!!! The NMH's are sensitive to proper soldering. You can't allow alot of solder between the bar and the battery. Also, make sure you scuff the surface before soldering.
wow! first time I heard about nimhs not wanting too much solder between the bars and the bats, I guess I'll have to rebuild all my packs, tanx 4 d info man.

Jon.