Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
m8 or Hitec Lynx 3D! which one performs better? >

m8 or Hitec Lynx 3D! which one performs better?

m8 or Hitec Lynx 3D! which one performs better?

Old 08-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default m8 or Hitec Lynx 3D! which one performs better?

im going to be buying my radio this week so i need sum help! which radio performs better for offroad racing! i want sumthing that wont fail on me! please help?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have both radios and I would suggest the m8 as it is easier to navigate through the menu and is almost self explanitory. Where as the 3d was harder for me, but it is a darn good radio in its own right. I would suggest making the decision on how the radio feels in your hands, thats the most important. Also, Hitec as the Agressor out now that might be worth looking at and JR has the XS3 which is a crystal less deal
Old 08-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

m8 is the better of the 2 youve mentioned by far

hitec doesnt have a good reputation IMO

also you should look into a futaba 3pk i just got one and i like it alot
Old 08-30-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Hey PTP,

I have an XS3 right now, and love the lack of crystals ... but I've tried a 3PK recently, and want to get one for next season.

My question is, is there a synthesized module and receiver for the 3Pk? Does Futaba make one, or will the Novak system work? I really want to keep the PCM encoding (for its failsafe features etc.) but would like to get rid of the crystals.

Is there a combo out that will accomplish this?
Old 08-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Also checkout the new Hitec CRX....

High definition/multi-pixel LCD Display
Dual Rate steering
Brake ATL switchBrake lever travel limiter
Steering wheel tension adjustment
Trim center audible verification
Third channel "Shifting" button
Transmitter Low Battery Alarm
Third channel "Linear" digital trim
Interchangeable assorted color rubber grip pads in two sizes
Digital Trims
RF Indicator light
Two-speed menu scrolling
Model Naming. (6 Characters)
Model select. (20 models)
Sub-Trims
Ch #3 Switch Set. (Shift, Linear)
EPA. (End Point adjustment)
Steering and Throttle Exponential travel
ABS. (Anti-Lock braking)
Steering to Aux/Throttle to Aux Mixing
Timer(Up/Down)
Servo Reversing
Model Copy
Model Reset. (Factory default)
RF Indicator light
Total Transmitter "On" Time Timer
Old 08-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

chorner i dont think there is nor ever will be a futaba made system that is crystalless

in fact according to the manual you have to change modules to change freq

i did some asking around and its said because it is against fcc regulations for us to change our freq ourselves not because of a problem with modules or anything

but if thats the fcc regulation i strongly doubt futaba will make the stuff to be crystalless

however i hope novak makes it

i would think that after the m8 the 3pk has to be the second most popular radio out there so i think it could happen

but i would be willing to bet it wouldnt work in pcm mode

but maybe im wrong and we will see it happen one day

i know someone from KO radios posted on here recently that they are working on a crystalless system now also but are trying to make it more dependable before attempting to release it and he also said it would be on the lower radios first because top level radios need to be bulletproof
Old 08-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can use the Hitec Spectra module in the Futaba 3PK and still have all the features. It's only available in 75MHz and works perfectly with the Futaba 113 PCM receiver as well as the Novak XXtra and Hitec DCX receivers, all in 75MHz.

I know becuse those are the set ups I use and haven't seen or felt a glitch yet. (The PCM failsafe is kind of cool but be sure to use a TRS as your main throttle down safety.)
Old 08-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Arcee, thanks for the info! Thats awesome

So the PCM encoding/decoding still works with that combo then? Or do you have to use standard PPM mode? I don't see any mention on Novaks site wether it supports PCM.

Wow, definitly a good thing though ... so now I can have everything all in one

Only question, when are they comming out with an MP3 player module so you can actually hook your headphones up and listen to something worthwhile? haha
Old 09-02-2003, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

I guess I missed a punctuation mark.

The PCM mode failsafe feature ONLY works with the PCM receiver.

The PPM mode works great with all the other receivers mentioned but doesn't support PCM failsafe.

The Failsafe feature is only available in PCM and HRS mode.

In other words the 3PK gives you a lot of versatility in one package.

Sorry about the confusion.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

You only said it works perfectly WITH the standard Futaba PCM and Novak receivers ... of course it works -with the Novak-, but only in PPM

Need to be more specific dude! haha I knew PCM worked with the Futaba PCM -duh-, I was wondering wether the Novak supported PCM as I couldn't find any mention of what it did support. Which is what I asked to clarify, wether the Novak ... supported PCM ... and obviously you can dial any channel into a sythn, or by crystal and still have its output being PCM as the module only varies the channel the data is sent on, not the data. Just the receiver has to support it

All good, no worries! You cleared it up nicely for me

Now ... to figure wether PCM is actually worth having anyways; as it does slow down signal response. I would never use one of the Novak receivers in a buggy from all the problems I've heard -and even openly admitted by Novak support-.

The HRS receiver might be the way to go ... but digital servos don't seem to be the best thing to have on a buggy either ... hmmm!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

I'm using the PCM Rx in my 1:8 buggy with a Hitec 5925 servo for steering and a Futaba 9405 servo for throttle/brake. I set the failsafe for full brakes. It seems to work well but tends to hit the brakes when the Rx pack still has a little juice left. I guess I'm better off safe than sorry and recharge the pack at that point.

I can't really tell the difference in response time between the PCM, HRS, PPM and DCX (dual conversion) systems. My little mistakes erase any gain in speed. So since I don't have all digital servos I decided to go with the PCM.

I use the Novak XXtra in my NTC3 and it's been fine there. I have two JR Z590M servos in that car which worked fine for both steering and t/b in a 1/10 scale TC.

Last edited by AreCee; 09-02-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

i went from the mars r high speed responce to the 3pk pcm and havent been able to tell the difference either

i did notice the difference when i switched from m8 to the mars though

but i could only feel the difference onroad

i am using a airtronics 94357 for steering and im actually thinking i may want to slow it down some

shoulda gotten a 94358 instead maybe in the off season

i think pcm is worth it thats why i got the 3pk my buggy cost me alot of money and thats why i want to insure it doesnt get away from me

i never got glitched with my mars (did with the m8 though) but once i had a crystal die and it took off and destroyed my new mtx3

hes right about the failsafe coming on early though mine died on me last weekend when i bet i coulda finished the round on the battery but oh well like he said better safe than sorry
Old 09-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Interesting about the failsafe comming on early ... too bad there isn't a way to adjust the cutoff voltage.

Was it a fully charged pack to begin with; or do you charge up the pack once, and use it for the day?

I had the same experience .. although it was with a JR z4750 servo I had for steering (.12 transit I think it is) ... I switched up my z590M and z4750; and I liked the speed of the 4750 on the throttle better, and 590m on the steering. Was alot smoother to steer This was on an NTC3 and MTX3.

Thats good you don't notice a speed difference with PCM. Good to hear; I've heard some say it feels like you are slightly behind the car. Nothing to do with how fast the servo is mind you.

On my computer anyways, the old PS2 mice ran at 40hz refresh and it felt laggy to me -nobody understands how the heck I notice these things! haha- and when I switched to the USB mice, the response at 120hz is a million times better and feels like the pointer is directly in-sync with what I do. I do graphics design, and animation btw hehe as well as lots of CounterStrike and F1 2002 :P
Old 09-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

It was at the end of the race day after the main. You can turn off the battery monitor function so it won't bother you but then you lose the low voltage protection.

Also as a reminder, this failsafe fuction will not work if the power is lost to the receiver, that's why most tracks require a mechanical throttle return.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default a comment about hitec...

i usually sit on the sidelines and watch other people's opinions as to "which thing is better than one thing?". rather then tell you that i think this thing is better than that thing, i'll give you an experience.

on august 18, i fedexed 2 servos to hitec for repair. both are digital, one being a high-speed and the other a high-torque. each cost me around 100 bucks each. i've had these in my gt-4 for the past couple of years, and they've worked w/o flaw. i recently put them into my buggy, but they didn't last. i didn't set the endpoints or the linkages correctly, so something inside broke (maybe a gear or something, i really don't know). i called on 8/22/03 to get an update, and i was told they haven't been looked at by a techinician yet, and it's probably gonna be about 5-7 business days. back to my point, today is 9/3/03 and they still haven't responded to me.

yesterday morning, i stopped by airtronics to get my servo worked on and my m8 took a crap - i wasn't getting any input from my steering channel (i guess all those drops finally caught up to me). by 11:30 a.m. everything was fixed. it cost only 30 bucks. i have on several occasions taken stuff back to airtronics to fix, and they have always fixed my gear the same day i drop it off. besides, bobby tom (mr.airtonics) is usally there, and this man has tons of rc experience, especially relating to radios. he's way cool, but more than that, he provides excellent customer service.

i don't think it's unreasonable to expect that same level of service from hitec. luckily for me, these servos are my back-ups, so i'm not grinding hitec to hurry it up. anyway, go with airtonics. period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.