Wiki Posts
Search

Please help newbie - XXX-CR

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Please help newbie - XXX-CR

Hi, I am assembling my new XXX-CR.
I am a newbie, and am having problems installing the front tierods.
I understand the measurements and the angle of installation, but my problem is that even if you the cushion "thingy" in, the cup does not clip onto the ball.

please help....

marlon
Old 08-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

It will go on, but it takes pliers. If you sand off the flashing on the back of the tie rod, it won't hurt youre finger when you put it on. But the first time it takes pliers.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

as jrwoodchuck stated, use some pliers. The flat, wide-jawed ones works the best, as needle nose can slip off the ball end...

It should be a VERY tight *snap* when first time. Remember, these ball ends have to withstand quite a bit of stress without it popping off.

If you do notice the ball cups popping off, time to change to a new one. If you're at the track and during a race and can't get a hold of one, you can temporarily use a plastic bag and cover the ball end with it, then snap the the ball cup onto the ball end and rip/cut any excess bag around the ball end for a tight fit. But this method is a bandaid and should be used if you're truly out of the ball cups and can't get any more in your hand...
Old 08-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

What I like to do is a put a little assembly lube on the threads of the tierod first. Then get you an old rag and a pair of pliers. Wrap the rag around the ball cup so as not to scar it up and hold it in place with the pliers. This task is ten times easier with a good turnbuckle wrench, Losi makes a nice one. But as your threading the ball cup on, go past the desired length a little bit so when you go to make camber adjustments that cup has already been threaded farther down and the turnbuckle will be easier to turn. And most importantly, it would be most ideal to only pop that ball cup on there one time and leave it until it needs to be replaced. Because the first time you pop one off and put it back on again its going to have a little slop and will never be the same again.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I might be way off here, but I'm questioning the 'cushion thingy' - are you talking about the little white foam dust rings? The hole in those are supposed to stretch over the ball stud, they don't actually go inside the cup.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I hope thats not the problem. But yeah, just in case you were wondering the "foam things" as theyre called should look like doughnuts and just slip over the ball. Im pretty sure you knew that just by looking at the pics though.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default thank you

Hi guys,

thanks for all the assistance.....
I managed to get it going over the weekend..... seems a little muscle and effort was needed..... being new, I do tend to baby my build a bit and not be harsh.
After seeing some of the guys at the track this weekend, I don't treat the car as a "baby" any longer..... just something to build/play/enjoy....... and if there's a little damage, so what.... that's why they build it.

marlon
Old 08-04-2008, 04:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RC Dad
I might be way off here, but I'm questioning the 'cushion thingy' - are you talking about the little white foam dust rings? .
i think losi even calls them "foam thingies"