Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
does anyone know what this is??? >

does anyone know what this is???

does anyone know what this is???

Old 08-29-2003, 03:06 AM
Tech Master

I got to change my mind and go with the flow . Definately is a Picco. Should have figured from the first picture. BMT cars never had alloy wishbones. Goes to show, pics can definately deceive.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TurnNBurn
I'll back Turbo on this one... The wheels look like old school Picco wheels... BMT shocks were green plastic, and I remember that Picco's had A LOT of aluminum on them (are the arms aluminum, Blood? That's a sure Picco giveaway).

Wow, I remember those days... The arguments about who copied who... Of course both BMT and Picco were Kicking Serpent's Azz on the track back then, but Serpent's were much cheaper compared to the pricey($$$) Piccos and BMT's.
Now look who's "King of the Hill", although there's a lot of worthy competition out there.
What was there to argue about. It was clear that BMT (formerly SG) released the pivot ball suspension first and the rest just followed suit after they got their asses well and truely horse whipped

The bit I dont understand is why none of the other manufactures cottoned on to the active suspension idea. Yep, it was a pain in the but to set up correct for many circuits but it was well worth it

BMt were king of the hill and still would be if they hadnt tried to push out to 1:5th scale. They only made a half ass attempt at it before pulling out and the result was they lost everything to SVM. Now SVM thought they knew 1:8th cars and released a rather sad attempt prototype which as it happens featured only a 2 belt drivetrain and nearly every part had the BMT emblem on it . The car was so weak they gave up and stuck to 1:5th.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Memories...

Just about every 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale car of that era was BMT based. The Picco Genesis was basically an 891 with alloy arms, uprights and bulkheads. There were a few others with thier own ideas... Ever seen the Parsec Sigma? Even Serpent utilized some of the first push-rod type front suspension as seen on the Serpent Sprint SWB. Serpent designed the car with only one thing in mind... and that was to overtake the Italian BMT team that was dominating the series races for the past few years...Unfortunatly BMT came out with an even more outstanding advancement...Active suspension as modellor mentioned above. It was first seen on the BMT 95R and later carried on to the BMT Pantera and Pantera 10.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Memories...

Originally posted by Turbo9000
Just about every 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale car of that era was BMT based. The Picco Genesis was basically an 891 with alloy arms, uprights and bulkheads. There were a few others with thier own ideas... Ever seen the Parsec Sigma? Even Serpent utilized some of the first push-rod type front suspension as seen on the Serpent Sprint SWB. Serpent designed the car with only one thing in mind... and that was to overtake the Italian BMT team that was dominating the series races for the past few years...Unfortunatly BMT came out with an even more outstanding advancement...Active suspension as modellor mentioned above. It was first seen on the BMT 95R and later carried on to the BMT Pantera and Pantera 10.
I had one of the BMT car like 12yrs ago, but it was too far back I dont remember which model that was, anyhow it has a 3 speed tranny and I was running a Novarossi 9 port engine back then (and yes that thing costed me arms and legs and it is a b!tch to tune). Here they are

Last edited by Ah10; 08-29-2003 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Memories...

Originally posted by Ah10
I had one of the BMT car like 12yrs ago, but it was too far back I dont remember which model that was, anyhow it has a 3 speed tranny and I was running a Novarossi 9 port engine back then (and yes that thing costed me arms and legs and it is a b!tch to tune). Here they are

All I see is XXXX.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Memories...

Originally posted by eddiethefish
All I see is XXXX.
try right click then show picture
Old 08-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ah10, I remember seeing your BMT car or a very similar one on this board a few years ago.

Its an 891. Do you remember where you got the C/F radio tray? I have an 891 thats just like it but with an aluminum radio tray with an old Picco P6 6 port motor. I still run it all the time The BMT 3 speed tranny upgrade maybe isnt as note worthy as the pivot ball or active suspension, but its one of the coolest.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Wow, this is quickly turning into a "Remember the Good 'ol Days" thread! I don't know how you guys feel, but to me, the Early 90's were the heyday of Nitro racing. All these manufacturers were fighting tooth and nail for dominance.

I do have to give credit to all the companies that are once again raising the bar, this time in the Nitro TC class. Perhaps we will be able to relive those days...
Old 08-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Turbo9000
Ah10, I remember seeing your BMT car or a very similar one on this board a few years ago.

Its an 891. Do you remember where you got the C/F radio tray? I have an 891 thats just like it but with an aluminum radio tray with an old Picco P6 6 port motor. I still run it all the time The BMT 3 speed tranny upgrade maybe isnt as note worthy as the pivot ball or active suspension, but its one of the coolest.
I got the C/F radio tray from Hong Kong when I bought the car, but the 3 speed tranny comes stock with the car, I didnt know it was an option.

I still remember the time when I ran it in a very big track, and my palm would sweat when that thing shifts into 3rd, it would pass everyone at the end of the straight! Yeee Haaaaaaa
Old 08-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Ah10
I got the C/F radio tray from Hong Kong when I bought the car, but the 3 speed tranny comes stock with the car, I didnt know it was an option.

I still remember the time when I ran it in a very big track, and my palm would sweat when that thing shifts into 3rd, it would pass everyone at the end of the straight! Yeee Haaaaaaa
and the feeling when the brake didn't work after that, huh?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by eddiethefish
and the feeling when the brake didn't work after that, huh?
at a big track, I dont need no stinking brakes!
Old 08-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Hehe... I remember from the guys that ran them that the 3-speed was a b*tch to get JUST right, but once it was set, HOLY CRAP!!! If I remember correctly, I think IFMAR eventually made them illegal.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Hehe... I remember from the guys that ran them that the 3-speed was a b*tch to get JUST right, but once it was set, HOLY CRAP!!! If I remember correctly, I think IFMAR eventually made them illegal.
sure is! I guess they had to make it illegal since this sob 3 speed tranny has so much topspeed with a decent engine with 250ft straight! he he!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

as far as I remember it was hard to set up the 3 speed but yet it wasnt that hard!
I remember the first thing I did is just run 1st and 2nd to tune the engine, when I can get it to the temp that I want then start working on the 1st speed to the point where I want the 2nd to engage then check temp again for some fine tune, after that work on the 3rd, after the 3rd is set up go back to check temp and some minor adjustment on the engine then you will have a fast mXthXXXXXX
Old 08-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Actually Im pretty sure the 3-speed is legal in all of the 1/8 on-road R/C's sanctioning bodies. Most guys who ran the BMT 891 went back to the stock 2-speed after they found it wasn't needed on most tracks. However, on a big track it was a trade off between passing people in the stretch or getting passed by a 2-speed car in the turns while your car is in between gears. I believe modellor can back me up on this one...as I think we've discussed it before

Its cool to see that some guys still know about the Good ol' days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.