Wiki Posts
Search

parking lot chasis prep

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)
Default parking lot chasis prep

I am going to start running some on road soon after alot of off road. I have done some thinking on how to prep a chasis for on road & this is what I have come up with.

I will take fuel tubing & split it open. Then I will use ca to glue it to the sides. The tubing will offer about a 1mm barier between the asphalt and that $60 chasis.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

What are you trying to prevent? I dont think the tube will do anything. If you just want to prevent scratches they sell chassis protectors. Otherwise no prep is really necessary.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
If you just want to prevent scratches they sell chassis protectors.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=JCI1155

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=ASC9787
Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some guys use filament tape to cover the screw heads under the chassis at the front and back, sometimes under the plastic bumper too, if it rides low. It helps prevent the screw heads and bumpers from wearing out if you run on bumpy asphalt. Usually have to replace it in spots after a day or two worth of running. http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666-- The chassis' wear pretty good though, but I've also seen where a flow of CA glue was added to the bottom front and rear lip of the chassis to keep it from rubbing (hit's the glue first.)
Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am interested in doing some asphalt racing sometime before I die. Could someone answer this for me; if your chassis rubs on carpet, it will slow the car down and upset the handling of the car, is this true for racing on asphalt and concrete?

If this is the case, wouldn't you raise the chassis up if it is rubbing on the pavement?

Just curious, thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
I am interested in doing some asphalt racing sometime before I die. Could someone answer this for me; if your chassis rubs on carpet, it will slow the car down and upset the handling of the car, is this true for racing on asphalt and concrete?

If this is the case, wouldn't you raise the chassis up if it is rubbing on the pavement?

Just curious, thanks.
The thread is specific to 'parking lot' asphalt racing, not asphalt track racing. Dedicated asphalt tracks are usually flat, sealed, and very smooth.

Parking lots are usually not so smooth, and are subject to rocks, bumps, and small grade changes that can cause unavoidable temporary contact of the chasis to the bump/rock/etc. If you raised your ride height up so high as to not be subject to any of the possible hazards that you could run into, you'd certainly be running slower then the guys with a lower height. Racing on a parking lot track can be far more hazardous then a nice prepped dedicated asphalt racing surface. So you go as low as you can with ride height while then trying to minimize the damage a stray rock, crack, or grade change when you go out of the 'groove' could cause to your car.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

If you are that worried about the chassis, then use the Jconcepts protector sheets. They work just like they are designed to.

I personally just let it scrape a little. The chassis should really only scrape if you hit a small pebble or your track is extremely bumpy. Or your ride height is too low. Small scrapes really don't take that much material out of the chassis. Besides, anyone buying a used asphalt car expects scratches.