Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Charging of a New NiMH 4600 Stick Pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Proper Charging of a New NiMH 4600 Stick Pack

ok so i have a brand new 6 cell 4600 NIMH battery pack from trinity. Its a intellict IB4600. I was wondering what is the proper way to charge a brand new battery? I have a duratrax ice charger so i can adjust the amp from .1-10 amps. also i can set the cut of to 5mv or whatever i need to. The package says to charge at 6amps but want to know what u all think i should do for the first charge. Thanks for your help
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default b

Good luck with that pack(no offense), I have seen numerous people get those packs from the HS and pretty much every one that I have seen has gone bad...most likely from heat...the butt burns out from heat im guessing. They were generally charging them at 4 amps...MTC is to not charge them at 4 amps or let them get hot at allwhile charging or running...hopefully some other guys have a better opinion/answer for you...
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boost231
ok so i have a brand new 6 cell 4600 NIMH battery pack from trinity
This is a stick pack? Stick to 4 amps. When you have time and funds, bring it back to the shop and have them change it to side by side assembly. Better electrical connections, and it will allow you to equalize the pack. It will last longer and perform better, and allow charging at higher amp rates. If it has the white plastic connector, have them changed to Deans or Traxxas connectors. Better connections, and they last longer (won't weld together, or melt the wire insulation).
Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Initiate

im just getting back into the hobby. i use to have the dean connector on my stuff but went back to the white plug the tamar. or whatever its called for now. if the pack goes bad i can pull it apart thats fine. anyways so first charge 4amps what cutoff voltage?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Boost, you shud use 3mv for cutoff and limit the charging to 4600mah only...overcharging the cell can bring down d lifetime of the pack...

hope this could help...........