Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intermediate or Expert racer(move on)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Personally you know if your pro or not. As a sportsman ive won a few club races. Last weekend at a Nor/Cal event i raced 2 classes for the first time. In intermidiate buggy i went to the C which i won, B i bumped up and i won the A. My final lap times were 4 seconds off of 3rd place in the pro class. I didnt think that i was good enough for pro but the lap times showed otherwise. Now i havent won a series or a big race yet. I told myself if i win this series i will bump myself up.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I'm new to North Texas too and I will be racing at JCG "eventually". I'm pretty sure I'm racing sportsman my first race and probably be in that class for awhile with that talent at that track. But Ive raced Pro in some tracks in Cali and Ive raced Sportsman at some tracks in Cali. I think you can figure out where you fit in with the company that surrounds you. Theres a big difference in running Pro at your local track and and being competitive then traveling and running Pro at a track that the "Real Pros" are at and watching them lap you 6 times. "And Its Happened" So with that being said I cant blame him for establishing a base for where He fits in for next time.

btw Whats up MOTO431 ?? holding down CVR? Darin Z
Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Bah, come on now... give Doug a break. He's a nice guy, and didn't know what the "cutover" is locally. Yes, he's faster than most of our local sportsman drivers... I had fun running with him and being in his way! lol .
+1

I agree, everybody should have the opportunity to drop down a classification from time to take a breath of fresh air and give the lesser talented a good thrashing
Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm a sportsman racer and thinking of bumping up.

What makes a sportsman racer? They need a club racer class. I enjoy racing but don't care for chasing the fastest at any track or holding a perfect line or just being so involved that I want a sponsor, I just don't want to race that hard and being a lap car really just puts me in the way. I don't want to pay to go that fast tires, plugs, motors ETC.

As a sportsman racer I race strictly for the recreation get away turn off the phone try not to get to serious good time.

I could run last place with 9th and 10th in the expert but I don't want to chase them either. I'm usually in the top 5 in sportsman.
I don't mind getting hacked by an excited new racer or even hack some one for getting because I'm over anxious.

Club racing is about practice racing and shouldn't be taken so serious.

I'm trying to say there's more reasons for being sportsman than sand bagging. Skill level is all a cry baby sees.
The argument can be made either way. Sportsman or not if your chasing perfection or sponsor ship or just want to be the fastest you should move up no matter how fast or slow.

The only reason I'm thinking of moving up is because I'm just trying to run my own race and turn my laps, not the laps the guy in front is turning.
If more would practice that type of club racing it wouldn't matter if you win or lose or the class your in.

I'm just saying there's more than just skill level involved when the decision to run sportsman is involved.
The sad truth is if I bump its likely bumping down would be considered sand bagging for sure. And in my case it would not be.
So if your a sportsman it may be better to stay sportsman.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

at most of our local track all the pro and sportsmans are based of qualifying times..so the fastes 10 lets say r in the pro race and the next fastest 10 r in intermediate and the next fastest 10 are sportsman with transfer spots..

makes it the most fair i think
Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
I had fun, and I will be a regular. Oh, I will bump up to expert... And as far as the different result... I'm use to racing with Matt Chambers, Lars Johnson, Kody Neumedal and Dustin Evens, so not winning is something I'm very use too.
I am with ya on that statement.... I have raced with that group including Billy Fischer and the super fast locals like Frank Sell, Tony Leatherman, and Jason Howell... So humility is a very dear friend of mine! It really sucks to get beat by a 9 year old in novice class even! I accidentaly entered stock buggy last year at our big race..... I wish I could have been warned about that choice... Qualified dead last and finished dead last... Well I was nice enough to help pay for everybody elses trophies... I did learn VERY well how to get outa the fast guys way though! So I did learn something...

Its ok to have some fast people in intermediate, but if ya get a guy 3 or more laps on the field, realistically he should be bumbed up to expert! In my opinion...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

I feel if you run with fast people, you will get faster. At my track, expert and intermediate run together and at the end of the second qual, a reshuffle happens. It is a bit of a pain that you don't win..much, but it does feel good when the fast guys have problems and you can get that win!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

at my local track sportsman and expert race in different races. I raced sports man for a while and won a couple of series. Once you win some the RD moves you up.

I opted to race expert just to get out of sports man. When I used to race, I was spending more time trying not to get hacked then racing.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Whats up monkey, when did you move to Texas? CVR is alive and well. Shoot were going to miss you
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Most of the local tracks dont have enough guys to separate the classes recently..it sorta sucks to put guys 9 laps down in 20 minutes..and I'm not fast..their just that slow..
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is a topic that really got me fired up a few months back and I'll tell you this I got real pissed about some of the things that were said. I have since sort of changed my view point on the subject to this - No different classes is what I think all tracks need to do. Everyone is there to race period so let the qualifing decide where they need to be. Yes you will still have sandbaggers but they can only get so far doing that and eventually someone will just take them out if you know what I mean.. One big class gives everyone the oportunity to take the big win no matter what level your at. We all know cars break and hey you could bump up because of it and maybe take the win and if someone is sandbagging and comes from the z main to win the a main it doesn't really matter where they quailified they were going to win the a main anyways so how is that really sandbagging? A setup like this should end the debate of I would have won if that pro wasn't racing sportsman and turn the statements to things like I took 34 out of 120 racers from club to pro level... It works for the nationals and I really think that it's the best way to run races... Just my oppinion and I'm sorry if this gets some of or all of you upset but again it's just my oppinion...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by viper0463
This is a topic that really got me fired up a few months back and I'll tell you this I got real pissed about some of the things that were said. I have since sort of changed my view point on the subject to this - No different classes is what I think all tracks need to do. Everyone is there to race period so let the qualifing decide where they need to be. Yes you will still have sandbaggers but they can only get so far doing that and eventually someone will just take them out if you know what I mean.. One big class gives everyone the oportunity to take the big win no matter what level your at. We all know cars break and hey you could bump up because of it and maybe take the win and if someone is sandbagging and comes from the z main to win the a main it doesn't really matter where they quailified they were going to win the a main anyways so how is that really sandbagging? A setup like this should end the debate of I would have won if that pro wasn't racing sportsman and turn the statements to things like I took 34 out of 120 racers from club to pro level... It works for the nationals and I really think that it's the best way to run races... Just my oppinion and I'm sorry if this gets some of or all of you upset but again it's just my oppinion...
I personally have NO problem whatsoever with everyone running in one class. (Some of the fast guys won't like it- they don't want to try to dodge us slower, less precise drivers!)

My only complaint is in the bigger races that we only see a 7 or 8 minute main sometimes. (RC Pro in OKC ran 10 minute mains for the lower mains, and I was extremely happy with that.)
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I personally have NO problem whatsoever with everyone running in one class. (Some of the fast guys won't like it- they don't want to try to dodge us slower, less precise drivers!)

My only complaint is in the bigger races that we only see a 7 or 8 minute main sometimes. (RC Pro in OKC ran 10 minute mains for the lower mains, and I was extremely happy with that.)
At least you saved on the tire bill!!!

I hear what you're saying, but honestly if you're looking for track time that's what practice is for - whether it be at a big race or on the club level, or just plain practicing - because otherwise all you're doing is sloshing around the track in a race just putting in laps which doesn't neccessarily make you any better a driver.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by viper0463
Personally, I'd love to know where the idea of the "Sportsman" class really came from. At one track I run at in previous years it had been called the Rookie class, and it was a catch-all for all the noobies and kids just getting into the hobby, but some of the drivers whined that it was sort of disrespecting them so they changed the name to Sportsman. But now I see it as a way that someone running in an upper classification at other races, or in a different genre (first race in gas, though they are very expereinced at electric), to keep them from having their butts handed to them or from having to be embarrassed or something from running in the C-main or whatever. I dunno for sure, but it just seems and sounds fishy.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
At least you saved on the tire bill!!!

I hear what you're saying, but honestly if you're looking for track time that's what practice is for - whether it be at a big race or on the club level, or just plain practicing - because otherwise all you're doing is sloshing around the track in a race just putting in laps which doesn't neccessarily make you any better a driver.
Hmmm... I understand your point... however, at a "big" race, practice time on that track is very limited. It takes me a while to learn a track, be able to drive a reasonable line. I'm also one of those folks that starts every heat with his knees shaking from adrenaline. lol In other words, I drive better toward the end of the main...

As I've stated before on a similar thread... it almost isn't worth it to pay $45 or whatever to go drive at a "big" event and only get to run 7-8 minutes. (I was pretty happy to get 10 at the OKC event- at least I got to pit... part of racing, right?) Unfortunately if everyone in the lower mains thought that... there wouldn't be any "big" events. We're paying for the faster folks to play... Should there be a difference? Sure... should it be 5 minutes vs. 45? Not in my opinion.

I think 10 minutes is approaching reasonable... I'd like to see 15, but it is what it is. I'm a lot more likely to go to a race where I know I'm going to get a longer run time in the main. Don't get me wrong... I like hanging out at the track, bs-ing with folks... I'm always happy to help folks out, be it "I broke a _____ do you have one?" (hmmm... let me look in my toolbox) or "can you pit me?" (I enjoy pitting almost as much as racing... and unlike racing, I'm actually fast!)

I also like the races where they "re-sort" the heats... I'd rather run against other folks at my skill level. I don't mind running with the faster guys, but feel bad if I'm in the way. I don't want to be the one that costs someone the TQ spot, or keeps them from making the A-main.

In short... it's a hobby. I do this for fun and relaxation. I don't take it TOO seriously, although I have that same competitive urge that the rest do. I'm playing with a toy car... I just want to play with it more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.