Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hey guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hey guys

I just figured I'd let you know the results from my grp motor,ran it for 2 gallons without any flaming or other issues that seem to plague them, great temps around 185 to 190 average.Then all that I missed came to haunt me it flamed at a club race going into a qual ,blew 2 plugs ( grp 5) so I knew something was wrong we pulled the back plate to see a chunk of my conrod sleeve missing yay me.Anyway we called Horizen and they said sent it in we'll take a look at it and most likely replace it or help you out either way.Well I just got off the phone with them they want $200 plus to fix it or it's a doorstop there is NO WARRANTIES ON THEIR PERFORMANCE MOTORS was what I was told. So guys be careful with these expensive mills.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

Originally Posted by losi 8 racer
I just figured I'd let you know the results from my grp motor,ran it for 2 gallons without any flaming or other issues that seem to plague them, great temps around 185 to 190 average.Then all that I missed came to haunt me it flamed at a club race going into a qual ,blew 2 plugs ( grp 5) so I knew something was wrong we pulled the back plate to see a chunk of my conrod sleeve missing yay me.Anyway we called Horizen and they said sent it in we'll take a look at it and most likely replace it or help you out either way.Well I just got off the phone with them they want $200 plus to fix it or it's a doorstop there is NO WARRANTIES ON THEIR PERFORMANCE MOTORS was what I was told. So guys be careful with these expensive mills.
wow man that really sucks I am sorry to hear about that. I had an os go bad on me and I called os and they told me they would fix it for free cause they were having trouble with v-spec for some reason
Old 07-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Angry yup that sucks

yeah that sucks both are great motors but the os v-specs were having some issues with a bad batch of carbs . i am not suprised that grp does not offer any warranty on their motor and the conrod should have lasted more than 2 gallons .
Old 07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Sorry to hear about your prb. with the GRP I do not own one and I am willing to bet the rod failed so early only from your own fault...190 is way too cold on that engine all you are doing is runinng out the pinch very fast along with all that friction the rod has to work harder. I bet if you would have ran that engine around 240 or so if would still be good to go. several local guys run the GRPs and are having good luck with them but again they do not run them at 180-190....too cold IMO which is what caused the prbs.

NO PUN INTENDED so dont come flaming me thanks.

my v-spec runs at 260-270 has even been at 320 (on a muddy track) and has over 5 gallons with no issues and I have more "pinch" then several of the other locals with v-specs that have 2 gallons on theirs because they run them based on temp and keepo them around 210...I heat it up with a temp gun every time I fire it even in the blazing 90+ degree days and I put it at BDC right when I shut it off after a race.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

you need to run a motor around 230-250 so the sleeve will heat up and expand this will help with the pinch and it does help take pressure off the crank pin
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

if it aint 230 you arent driving hard enough!! lol im just kidding
Old 07-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Yup I think anything below 200 is cold.

Great tip on the heat gun. I found my old heat gun lying around. I only use them for break in. I will take them to the tracks with me from now on. Will an electric hair drier do the trick also. My old heats gun to hot it will melt plastics parts away if i am not careful.

Originally Posted by blktransam
Sorry to hear about your prb. with the GRP I do not own one and I am willing to bet the rod failed so early only from your own fault...190 is way too cold on that engine all you are doing is runinng out the pinch very fast along with all that friction the rod has to work harder. I bet if you would have ran that engine around 240 or so if would still be good to go. several local guys run the GRPs and are having good luck with them but again they do not run them at 180-190....too cold IMO which is what caused the prbs.

NO PUN INTENDED so dont come flaming me thanks.

my v-spec runs at 260-270 has even been at 320 (on a muddy track) and has over 5 gallons with no issues and I have more "pinch" then several of the other locals with v-specs that have 2 gallons on theirs because they run them based on temp and keepo them around 210...I heat it up with a temp gun every time I fire it even in the blazing 90+ degree days and I put it at BDC right when I shut it off after a race.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Good luck getting a GRP to run at 230-250, the hottest mines been is 210 and it was lean.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi 8 racer
200 to replace a rod? Buy a rod and replace it yourself. Many people like to replace the rod after break in anyway.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gliptal
Good luck getting a GRP to run at 230-250, the hottest mines been is 210 and it was lean.
maybe your needles were crossed up?...and I was not trying to start a argument here Gliptal just stating personal experience
Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default thanks guys

I do know a motor should run at 200+ but as said before good luck getting a grp that hot simply because of the cooling head size, and guys I was heating it right till about 10 tanks.I have a picco evo 2 r that has been beat hard with well over 4 gallons with little to no tuning experience when I got it, and it still runs strong as hell, actually it is what I had to resort to when my grp failed, fortunately my LHS (Sky Craft Hobbies) are helping as much as possible along with quite a few of or local head honchos from the Sprucewood Team.So with that I'll put this to rest the motor will be rebuilt by myself and is on it's way back from Horizen now. thanks and regards. Greg
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up good news

I just got off the phone with a horizon rep who apologized for my bad experience and has now fixed my problem new parts are being sent out to my LHS for me so my mill can be fixed they include piston & sleeve,conrod and front & rear bearings,so it seems it's not such a bad place to deal with once you speak to the right person, special thanks to Nathan from horizon who made this possible. Cheers Greg
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Grp tuned not good in bottom end ?

Correct me if Im wrong....I noticed that the tuned GRP is not good enough in bottom end but in mid and high its awesome im not complaining....I wonder if replace my pipe that good in bottom will correct this...or change my aluminum clutch in carbon may change a bit.....im running in medium technical track...
any feedback will appreciate....thanks Racer....
Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hummm

IMHO the grp ripes but don't expect to feel that punchy bottom like a Rb it's much smoother in it's delivery also look at your clutch spring setup I run golds & greens with damn good results ,they seem to work on every track I've tried.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default GRP bottom end

Im now using ofna 3 pin 1.0 spring.dynamite long life alum shoes..
the stock losi flywheel is kind a too little and its very very difficult to start..
so I decided to use the ofna 3 pin flywheel...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.