Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foams thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

OHBRAD - Your probabely looking at 35, 40 and 45 shore ratings. I'd say try 40 shore(purple) all round(or 45FT/40RR), scrub them(or true them) to race height(around 60-62mm). After tuning you can either gain or loose grip on either end of the car by using lower(softer foam) or higher(harder foam) shore ratings.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Raced this weekend, temps were lower (by about 10 degrees) and the baby sunscrean stuff didn't stick as well, wd40 worked pretty well but it did drop off after the first few minutes. Ran paragon in the main and it works better for lower temps then anything else I've run(so far).
Old 09-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by racerdx6
That sounds good, I did a search (but after I already had posted, because I'm just slow like that ). And it sounds like a lot of people use the blue tape.

Sushi- I bet with yer all blue alfa you had to use a lot of tape didn't you
I actually did use some. I never use the window masks that come with the car. I just make my own. It comes out much better.

-Sushi Boy
Old 09-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

I started masking the body a few days ago and I have to say that the 3m blue tape is working really well. It's really easy to cut with a knife after you've applied it. Now it's just time to see how well it keeps the paint out. I have spent a lot of time pressing it down real good. And I'll do a once over on the edges before I start spraying just to make sure.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!! i just raced foams for the first time ever and i took 5th in b-main and i might have been able to win if i didn't catch a pole. o-well. it was totally different and you can drive much more agressive w/ foams cuz they won't slide unlike rubbers when u try to drive in to the turn to hard.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yes I am glad i helped convince you, Josh. Welcome to the dark side
Old 09-09-2003, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!! right now for my setup for foams is awesome untill more people start racing again then i'll have to go stiffer in springs and oil prolly. i use to love racing rubber and didn't want to race foams untill last weekend and now i like never wanna run rubber again but i will once summer comes around and foam dies off for summer. right now i'm at 70 wt. oil in front and 60 wt. oil in rear. for spring i got purple in front and copper in rear. i have the 4 degree caster blocks for front, and also tightend my diffs just a little bit more then for rubber. for tires i'm running trcs w/ plaid in front because they don't cone or chunk as easy as dbl. purple, and in rear i got purple.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Brian i'm glad i raced foam bcuz or else i woulda been stuck w/ hacks cept for 2 other ppl, and next is mod foam man once i get some steel diffs and 1 more pack and also another charger. i was thinkin of the pulsar.... what do u think just a decent but cheap charger ya know......
Old 09-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

I raced foams with some other guys tonight, with very bad results. A lot of the guys I could keep up with, with rubber tires, are now way faster than me. Could it be that they just have more experiance running foams? Or is it more of just my car set up? I'm running:

purple springs on all corners

plaid tires up front
purple tires in the rear

40 weight oil on all corners (I wasnt sure if we were going to run foams or rubber tonight so when I rebuilt my shocks I just put 40 back in, I figured it would be better to be stuck with foams and 40 wt. than rubbers and 70 wt., but would putting in heavier oil, like 70 wt. on all corners, actually improve my times, or just make the car easier to drive, which would probably improve my times, I'll do some more testing at the track tomorrow)

and diffs in the front and rear

2º rear toe in

1º front toe out

But otherwise I don't think my camber link positions are off. Because the car is driveable. It just seems to dive in a lot at the beginning of a turn, so mabey heavier oil would help there. So it slows down that action.

Also, my tc3 is pretty screwed up, it needs a new chassis because its tweaked and has no droop down stops, the suspension has a lot of play (the car is 3 years old), it needs threaded shocks, it needs some new differentials, and the diff cases have one or 2 screws stripped out I think, and I need steering BB's because the bushings are way worn out, and the steering rack it's self is worn out too. So I'm considering getting a new car (the car was fine with rubbers, but with foams everything seems so show up a lot more for some reason, like the car wanders a lot because of the excessive play and that sort of stuff). I'm looking at the x-ray t1r, or the x-ray t1 evo 2 with the freedom of choice suspension kit. Which car do you guys think would be better for foams? I don't really care about the price, I just want the best car for its perpouse. Thanks!

btw- sorry bout the huge post
Old 09-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Even though I'm slower than some other guys with foams that I could beat before with rubbers..... foams are still way more fun to drive !!
Old 09-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

racerdx6,

Get another TC3. It is still the best TC platform for stock foam. If you race mod, then the Losi XXX-S would be another very good choice. Make sure you get a Factory Team if you get another TC3, well worth it.

Running heavier oil like 70 wt would not only make the car easier to drive but also improve your laps times significantly. The 40 wt is too reactive and the car grips too much in the corners, which means it looses speed. Try running 70 oil front, 60 rear, Yellow springs up front, Purple rear. Rear toe is good, but set your front toe to 0 man, that'll help. Your tire choices are fine, too.

If i were you i'd just pick up a brand new Factory team TC3. There are many of us who can help you here with setup once you get it.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by racerdx6
I raced foams with some other guys tonight, with very bad results. A lot of the guys I could keep up with, with rubber tires, are now way faster than me. Could it be that they just have more experiance running foams? Or is it more of just my car set up? I'm running:

purple springs on all corners

plaid tires up front
purple tires in the rear

40 weight oil on all corners (I wasnt sure if we were going to run foams or rubber tonight so when I rebuilt my shocks I just put 40 back in, I figured it would be better to be stuck with foams and 40 wt. than rubbers and 70 wt., but would putting in heavier oil, like 70 wt. on all corners, actually improve my times, or just make the car easier to drive, which would probably improve my times, I'll do some more testing at the track tomorrow)

and diffs in the front and rear

2º rear toe in

1º front toe out

But otherwise I don't think my camber link positions are off. Because the car is driveable. It just seems to dive in a lot at the beginning of a turn, so mabey heavier oil would help there. So it slows down that action.

Also, my tc3 is pretty screwed up, it needs a new chassis because its tweaked and has no droop down stops, the suspension has a lot of play (the car is 3 years old), it needs threaded shocks, it needs some new differentials, and the diff cases have one or 2 screws stripped out I think, and I need steering BB's because the bushings are way worn out, and the steering rack it's self is worn out too. So I'm considering getting a new car (the car was fine with rubbers, but with foams everything seems so show up a lot more for some reason, like the car wanders a lot because of the excessive play and that sort of stuff). I'm looking at the x-ray t1r, or the x-ray t1 evo 2 with the freedom of choice suspension kit. Which car do you guys think would be better for foams? I don't really care about the price, I just want the best car for its perpouse. Thanks!
Get Another tc3 like everyone else is saying. The chassis is hard as a rock and the shaft drive is a real plus too. I feel it's one of the best foams cars out there. The xxx-s is great on foams too. IF you get an xray, get the Evo2 FOCE. The graphite chassis and upper deck are needed for foams. That excess flex the T1R will put out will just screw with your head when your trying to setup your car for foam.

-Sushi Boy
Old 09-13-2003, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Axiom5B
racerdx6,

Get another TC3. It is still the best TC platform for stock foam. If you race mod, then the Losi XXX-S would be another very good choice.
That's opinion, not fact.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

get a yokomo sd
Old 09-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In stock touring shaft cars DONOT out accelerate belt cars.. and THAT IS A FACT!!!! Losi and and X-rays are primarily the faster cars around here and almost everything is on foam!!!! OHH and there is some guy that is pretty damn fast with the older Corally!!!

Doggy- so far looks like the hidious R word for next week, a few of us are heading to RCO wanna join??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.