Wiki Posts
Search

4wd Buggy Brushed Motor Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TexasPete
Jerome - Ive noticed a lot of people mentioning issues with the Novaks. Most folks are generally hap except for this mishap or that mishap. Never read any complaints from Mamba max users, sidewinder users, or LRP Sphere users.

RB Five - What are your programability options with the LRP Sphere? I havent found much detailed information on it. Can you program it with your computer? Many people say that the LRP's are better then the CC stuff, but no definite reasons. What is your justification behind your preference, if any? (Sometimes I prefer stuff cause its shinier! LMAO)

Well, the fact the sphere doesn't need a computer is definitly better in my eyes. If you wanna lug a laptop around then thats cool.

It has profiles, You hold down the mode button and caount the flashes. 1 flash is profile one etc. there are 4 different parameters battery "nimh or lipo", punch, drag brake, and initial brake. Very simple to adjust.

It's better cause it is smoother. when you apply the throttle it puts the power down nicer. when you hit the brakes they are smoother. etc. It makes a difference. I don't know why you don't read much on them but they are probably the best second i would go with novak. Dcoe knows....

There is a new system the losi exceliron or something which you can diddle with on a laptop but i prefer simple and sweet.

To make the story short it does it's job better... for instance all esc aren't equal. they don't just power your motor and servo. It's how they control the motor etc.

Whats the BEC output on a mamba ? is it 6v ?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

RB Five - You can program the mamba max manually as well, but from what i gather from the literature and what i have been told you can fine tune many of your settings with the computer software.

The BEC output is 5v for the mamba.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Texaspete, there are several places to race around here. Mike's Hobby/Gulf Coast Raceway was this weekend, there's also Southside RC and The River Track. There's also indoor and outdoor 1/18 racing. When are you coming and what part of town will you be in? I'll see what's up that weekend. Mike's is reaaaallly blown out right now. I TQ'd this weekend with my B44 but it wasn't happy about it. It loosened up the motor mounts while I was leading the main just to pay me back, LOL. Either that or it just didn't want to get beat to death anymore. A buddy of ours is beta testing a 1/8 BL system down here, we'll see if we can get him to bring it out. He TQ'd 1/8 Sportsman with it this weekend, looked good.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Texaspete, there are several places to race around here. Mike's Hobby/Gulf Coast Raceway was this weekend, there's also Southside RC and The River Track. There's also indoor and outdoor 1/18 racing. When are you coming and what part of town will you be in? I'll see what's up that weekend. Mike's is reaaaallly blown out right now. I TQ'd this weekend with my B44 but it wasn't happy about it. It loosened up the motor mounts while I was leading the main just to pay me back, LOL. Either that or it just didn't want to get beat to death anymore. A buddy of ours is beta testing a 1/8 BL system down here, we'll see if we can get him to bring it out. He TQ'd 1/8 Sportsman with it this weekend, looked good.
Ill be up on the northside in Spring, and Sunday will probably be my only free day but if something is going Sunday August 17th, let me know Id love to check it out.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

RB Five - You can program the mamba max manually as well, but from what i gather from the literature and what i have been told you can fine tune many of your settings with the computer software.

The BEC output is 5v for the mamba.
Ok 6v bec is a plus of the sphere, If you wanna save some money go with the mamba max, you want the better of the 2 get the sphere. It would be hard to understand reason until you try both. The sphere is also smaller so it should fit in your 4wd easier.

lro sphere+novak 7.5= dialed power combo.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That is why I say, unless you are on an extreme budget--don't go for the cheapest brushless ESC. I am sure alot of guys run the Sidewinder and I know there are people who race them successfully--but the Sphere is SO easy to setup properly, smoother than any system out, doens't "thermal", and just all around lets you drive your car as well as you can. AT the track RBfive and I race at, 95% of the serious guys run the Sphere Comp. NOt because its cheap, not because it has thousands of parameters you can change on a laptop--simply because it works the best for the intended purpose.

If you get serious about electric off-road racing at some point you are going to want a Novak GTB or Sphere Comp. Guys who run Spheres don't even know what cogging means.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Ill be up on the northside in Spring, and Sunday will probably be my only free day but if something is going Sunday August 17th, let me know Id love to check it out.

Southside club race is Aug 09 and the next HARC race is Aug 23. Most of the racing here is in Sat unless you want to run on-road. Could probably get a couple of guys out to play that Sunday (Aug 10), but that's my anniversary! No way I'm running RC cars that day, LOL.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Ok 6v bec is a plus of the sphere, If you wanna save some money go with the mamba max, you want the better of the 2 get the sphere. It would be hard to understand reason until you try both. The sphere is also smaller so it should fit in your 4wd easier.

lro sphere+novak 7.5= dialed power combo.
The CC stuff seems to be on back order everywhere so I may end up with a sphere by default!

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
That is why I say, unless you are on an extreme budget--don't go for the cheapest brushless ESC. I am sure alot of guys run the Sidewinder and I know there are people who race them successfully--but the Sphere is SO easy to setup properly, smoother than any system out, doens't "thermal", and just all around lets you drive your car as well as you can. AT the track RBfive and I race at, 95% of the serious guys run the Sphere Comp. NOt because its cheap, not because it has thousands of parameters you can change on a laptop--simply because it works the best for the intended purpose.

If you get serious about electric off-road racing at some point you are going to want a Novak GTB or Sphere Comp. Guys who run Spheres don't even know what cogging means.
Ok, clearly Im not experienced, but im just having a hard time grasping the concept of how a completely programable ESC can be outshined by one that has only preset adjustability. But as I said earlier, Im growing very impatient with the CC backorder situation so I may end up with the LRP Sphere after all. Do you have any experience with the Tekin RI Pro or any of the speed passions stuff? Does the sphere outshine those more expensive ESC's as well?

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Southside club race is Aug 09 and the next HARC race is Aug 23. Most of the racing here is in Sat unless you want to run on-road. Could probably get a couple of guys out to play that Sunday (Aug 10), but that's my anniversary! No way I'm running RC cars that day, LOL.
Hey man, the wife comes first! Looks like im going to be there on an off weekend for racing anyway. I think I may try to check out one of the LHS's at least. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi guys, I've been looking at the Sphere + X-11 combo lately too. I noticed that there are no aluminum extrusions sticking out like the Novaks and the Castle Creations. How does the power FET inside gets its cooling?

The description at Tower seems to say that there is an integrated fan inside?

Do you guys have any overheating issues with the Sphere? Does the Sphere have a thermal shutdown? Does the X-11 motor have a thermal shutdown?

I'm planning to buy an ESC+Brushless combo, but I heard rumors that Novak is releasing a new one soon, Castle is releasing a new one (the mamba pro, a sensored version), is LRP going to be releasing a new ESC soon?

I don't want to buy something right now and find out that the prices have dropped for it when a new kid shows up on the block...

Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Back to the brushed: Go with any of the checkpoint Tebo winds, or better yet IMO go with a Team Brood Checkpoint and they will tune is toward off road
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Bump
Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Pete, the S.side race has been moved to this Sat, Aug 09. I may be able to make that. 1/8 scale action for sure, maybe some 1/10.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
Hi guys, I've been looking at the Sphere + X-11 combo lately too. I noticed that there are no aluminum extrusions sticking out like the Novaks and the Castle Creations. How does the power FET inside gets its cooling?

The description at Tower seems to say that there is an integrated fan inside?

Do you guys have any overheating issues with the Sphere? Does the Sphere have a thermal shutdown? Does the X-11 motor have a thermal shutdown?

I'm planning to buy an ESC+Brushless combo, but I heard rumors that Novak is releasing a new one soon, Castle is releasing a new one (the mamba pro, a sensored version), is LRP going to be releasing a new ESC soon?

I don't want to buy something right now and find out that the prices have dropped for it when a new kid shows up on the block...

Comes with a heatsink, It's **SHOCK** applied with heat transferrable 3m tape.

I don't recommend the lrp motors though. They aren't as good as novak neither is orion IMHO