Cooling Batteries While Charging

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cooling Batteries While Charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Should you let pack cool before running? My packs get to about the highest 115f after charging, is it okay to run them at that point or wait a little while?
Old 08-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the sooner you run your packs after peaking them the better. this is when their voltage is the highest and resistence is down, so the pack will have good punch. this is why you want to charge your packs at the track and try to get them to peak the heat before so they will be fresh for the run.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

the only time i can get out right when the pack just gets off charger is when it's practice or else a few mins befor the race, and then after race when i discharge pack i'll put a fan on it only for a few mins.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:37 PM
CGR
Tech Regular

Default Re: Cooling Batteries While Charging

Originally posted by popsracer
If you look at the Fastest racers at your local track, they will have their Packs on a Fan while Charging. So what's up with that?
Not my track. They put them on a fan after the race but never while charging.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think this is funny. Last weekend I didn't have time to charge a battery for the first qualifier because I got there late. So I ended up repeaking a battery I had fully charged left over from the weekend before. I ended up with TQ that run and one of my fastest times at that track. Go figure......... Of course this probably won't work at a National Level event. But for club racing, it's not gonna matter at all.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Mark P's car at the Roar Nats..... question is... Is he Charging or Is he Not!

Old 08-24-2003, 02:49 PM

kinda reminds me of a jet engine
Old 08-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

check out that fan, 5 volt??
Old 08-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default Cooling Batteries While Charging

racenut123;

I talked to the "Fast Guys" at our local track today and they indeed do charge on the Fan.

One explained to me that He too was told not to by others, but his packs seem to be better if charged on the Fan.

Recently new to 3300's, I had been charging on the Fan also, but my Car has felt underpowered to what I expected with Top of the Line packs.

Today I Charged normally, then placed on the Fan to cool after a run. Much better this way. Definately MORE Power when charged without any forced cooling.

So thanks, for the 1 up and like I said, just because someone is fast and doing something, doesn't mean it's the best for you.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re-peaking

Guys;

Slightly off topic, but relevent none the less.

Obviously it is most desireable to have your Pack peak just before your Heat/Race.

Question: If there is a delay or you miscalculate the time and your pack comes off 1/2 hour or so before your heat.

Do you re-peak over and over (I know peeps who do this) until it's race time?

OR allow them to cool then repeak 5 miniutes or so before your race?

What does everyone think?

Thanks, Steven
Old 08-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey
NIMH cells have a certain chemical reaction that happens around the 120-140 degree mark. I do not ever use a fan while charging. After discharging i will sometimes use a fan for a couple of minutes but then i wait at least 2-3 hours before i use the pack again. The cells must return to room temp before being recharged. You want to try and peak your pack right before the race. This sounds like it could cost u race but u can time it out right. Takes about 30-35 min a pack at 6 amps on 3300's.

Pops- I take a quick 10 second discharge then repeak. this lets the cell not overhcarge itself and really peak while putting some heat back in the cells.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

usually if i have anytime more than a few minutes between the battery peaking and the start of my qualifier then i will usually repeak once a couple minutes before. it is not good to repeatedly repeak nimh cells. try to time it so you can do just one or two repeaks at most for any amount of time. my 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by KilRuf
Mark P's car at the Roar Nats..... question is... Is he Charging or Is he Not!

How do you know that the fan is turned on? For all we know the fan could be off and he could just be using it as a quick stand to repeak his batteries before a heat or something.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

I know because I took the picture....
Old 08-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by KilRuf
I know because I took the picture....
Ohhh .

When you took the picture, did you hear if the fan on the charger was on full time, if the fan on the charger went on for about 5 seconds, shut off for 5 seconds, went back on, etc. or was the fan on the charger completely off? Depending on activity of the fan on the charger, i'll be able to tell if it was charging or not since I used to own the same charger .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.