Community
Wiki Posts
Search

please help me learn!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

please help me learn!!!!!!

i have one qusiton? where in Hell! do u guys learn all these stuff and these terms! because i reaad ur replys and i get so lost and confused its not even funnie! is there a site where i can learn, instead of haing to pay 15 a book to learn!

i mean i want to learn as much as my head can take!

like how to pick and adjust shocks, camber toe in , toe out, engine, everything, what oil is what! everything, because im kind of new! i use to have nitro! but i just killed it never workerd on it or nothin! but now iwant to get more into it! and now that im getting the mbx5 soon i want to learn as much b4 i build it! so help would be great! like links to sites! emails! talkin on aim! sending some copies of ur how to do books. I just want to grow into this hobby and stay with it. not get so left behind. please help me!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

as far as learning and understanding suspension dynamics
i think the xxx main setup guide book is unbeatable
even though it is written for on road cars the terms and
principles apply to off road , its the best $20 i think i
have spent on this hobby
sb
Old 08-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Pick up an issue of Xtreme RC or RC Car Action whenever you can. They usually have at least one article which teaches you how to tune or improve your car in one way or another. Better yet, if you find that you like one over the other - subscribe to it!The best part about the tuning articles in these mags is that the same theory applies across all kinds of vehicles... just how much a change affects your handling varies from one specific model to another.

For example, this month's issue of XRC featres an article where Travis Amezcua (AE Driver) runs through the new B4 buggy and explains how each tuning change affects the handling of the car.

Another aspect of the magazines is that over time, you will learn to understand the meaning to many of the terms you hear, but don't understand yet.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask other racers, particularly those who have the same car as you. 9 out of 10 guys will usually be willing to help. Just try not to ask them 500 questions all in one sitting. After all, the whole point of the hobby should be to encourage more people to become a part of it!

To answer your question directly, that's how I learned everything I know.. .I read a lot, I asked more experienced racers when I was confused, and I did some experimenting for myself as I learned more.

Oh, one last thing... if you have specific questions, don't be afraid to ask your questions in the Rookie Zone Forum... I'm sure that plenty of experienced racers, like myself, stop by once in a while to see if they can be of any help.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 08-20-2003 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

the basic way I learned was by reading almost every thread in this WHOLE forum. I have learned so much from just reading stuff here.

I have also read all of the articles here:
http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/index.asp
and
http://www.rcnitro.com/articles/

knowledge comes from time and experience dont expect yourself to learn it all at once.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

thank u all for your replys!
Old 08-24-2003, 06:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Here are some invaluable sites for learning. I have been involved in racing real cars for 20 years and just getting into RC. The adjustments are the same and in some cases have even more adjustments. Check out this site I think it will tell you everything you need to know on car setup. Find a good base starting setup from the manufacturer and go from there.

http://users.pandora.be/elvo

Nick
Old 08-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
Amen brother, that is so true.

Just take your time reading forums, and articles on the net, and you should be fine. And do make sure that what your reading is going to apply to what you do/drive otherwise its a bit of a waste.
well I have to slightly disagree...i will agree if you are running 1/10 off road that reading 1/;5 scale and airplane stuff is useless BUT i have found that readng the on road nitro forum to as helpful if not more helpful than reading the off road one which is what I run. this is becasue I run a HPI and alot of HPI's parts are shared with on road cars and off road. I have also found the electric, yes the "e" word, forum to be useful just for the sake that those guys know how to tweak a car and really know their stuff.

you're definately not wrong though.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

www.sgrid.com in the offroad conference is where all the good info is that is where all the pros's hang out like Degani and saxton and pavidis just to name a few
Old 08-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok thanx for the updates!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Try going to a racetrack near you and ask some racers especially those who have the same car as you, Im sure they are willing to help and give you some tips.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

there really is no one place where you can read something and instantly know everything about RC you just have to spend some time at tracks and online reading atricles. RCCarAction.com is a good place to pick up tips and tricks.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Tech Initiate

EXPERIENCE. JOIN A CLUB!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

As far as the lingo goes...it won't take long to pick it up. If you have any questions you can always head over to the Rookie Forum. There are a lot of helpful ppl here that are willing to answer your questions.

As far as knowledge of set-ups and some of the more hardcore terminology there are some publications (R/C specific...XXX main set-up guid was previously mentioned). Full size race car books are also a great source of info. If I had to recomend one piece of reference material it would be:

Tune To Win by Carol Smith

While it may seem like an old (1979 I think) publication, the info and knowledge that Mr. Smith put into that book in timeless. It can be decribed as a bible to race-car dynamics and set up. There is a lot of info and some of it may not apply directly to our R/C cars but...the fundamentals are all there. I highly recomend picking up a copy or at least looking in your local library or college/university library. Read through that and then get a copy of the XXX-main book and you will be well on your way to making informed set-up changes.

Last edited by BuddhaTech; 09-26-2003 at 12:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.