New Yokomo/Rayspeed charger and discharger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Yokomo/Rayspeed charger and discharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Many believe the ideal temperature for GP3300s is 125 degrees F. To start out I'll probably use the temp peak and set it to that temperature. I'm racing indoors, so there will be less temp variance issues like Matt is talking about. The only problems the temp charge might have is that battery cells vary in temperature sometimes when they're charging.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

I started using my Rayspeed exceed discharger that I got from KT hobbies... but one light does not work. Now i'm not sure if that cell is discharging or not (I don't have volt meter to check.) Anyone know if I can get it replaced? I sent Rayspeed an email, waiting for response. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Default exceed discharger

Yup mi too, the bulk just went off and i'm still struggling to get the replacement.

I had also email rayspeed but its seems no response at all.

Do you have any idea where to get the replacement,
Old 10-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Yokomo BCS Dual

I recently bought the dual charger. I have been experimenting with it.

So far I like it very much. Mine does have a backlight.

I have found that to fully charge NIMH cells in the Temp mode you need to raise the temp cutoff to 48c instead of the recomended 42c.

Have any of you tried the YOKOMO charge setting? This is supposed to be similar to GM Vis. The GM Vis was designed for use with NICDs I have tried this setting with GP3300, discharging on my CE Gfx, and I am not seeing any increase in voltage or run time.

The Linear mode seems to work as well as any of the charges. I set my peak dropback to 20mv. This seems to give Max charge without getting the cells too hot.

I always take two chargers to the track with me. using the dual I elimenate one charger and get a smaller footprint. This is really a plus when you race at a track that only allows a small pit space.

I was using a GMVis Comander and a CE Gfx or pit bull.

Do any of you have experience with the YOKOMO MMs?

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-07-2003, 12:59 PM

I have the Yokomo BCS single charger but have not tried the Yokomo charge. In the past, the common recommendation was to charge NiMH with a linear charge, and the Yokomo charge is a pulse, so I don't use it. If you plan on runnning 2400s with a stock motor, for example, and want that extra horsepower, the Yok charge may be what you want, because a pulse should increase voltage (reduce run time) temporarily.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Aurra Sing
I started using my Rayspeed exceed discharger that I got from KT hobbies... but one light does not work. Now i'm not sure if that cell is discharging or not (I don't have volt meter to check.) Anyone know if I can get it replaced? I sent Rayspeed an email, waiting for response. Thanks.
I contacted Yokomo USA instead and they are letting me send it in to be replaced!
Old 10-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i too bought the yok bcss single charger and i do like it alot! it just lacks some basic features like a backlite screen! i was totally shocked that it did not come with a backlite screen! i dont really car about motor drive or discharger cuz i have all those, but no backlite? i was thinking if theres some kits for sell out there that could add a backlite base to the screen. i tried emailing yomoko for about a month now, not a single reply!

another thing is that when im charging my GP3300 at 6amps 10mv cut off, they cell goes up to a boiling 65C+ temp! i read the SMC site and they said that the normal charging temp for GP3300 are somewhere around that region, but my other chargers never ever got the cell nearly as HOT as 50C! i still charge my cells that way, just not sure if any of you have encountered this problem
Old 10-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My cells seem to get pretty warm after charging with a 20mv cutoff but it only seems to make the packs run better. I've been using this charger exclusively since the late spring and I finally got ahold of a turbo 35 to cycle my packs and see if this charger was hurting them or what. The GP's that I've been running since the spring now have slightly HIGHER voltage and the same internal resistance as when new, the runtime went down but that's to be expected with any Nihm cell. So to make a long story short, the cells do seem to get warmer with these chargers but it doesn't hurt them and may help in the performance department.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:10 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

My 3300's also get warm and I use the 10mv cutoff with my bcss charger. My batteries do run very well so I have no complaints. I did notice that even on my LRP Pulsar charger that the GP cells do tend to get hotter than my Sanyo version NIMH cells.

I would have liked my charger to be backlit but since it has a flip up screen it didn't bother me once I used it as I can see the screen just fine. I sold my Reedy chargers because the screen is at such an angle I could never read those so that is why I switched to the Yoke charger. What a differance as now I can see what the charger is doing without standing up all the time to read the screen.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Yokomo BCS Dual

Regarding the battery temp. questions in the previous posts, these are my observations:

The battery temp seems to be the same on all my chargers (CE GFX,CE Pitbull,GM VIS Commander, BCS Yokomo) if the charging input is comperable.

6 cell GP 3300 packs ( year old)
CE GFX- cutoff .05=51c
CE Pitbull- the same
GM VIS Commander -20Mv= 49c
GM Vis Commander-52c-self explaning
Yokomo BCS Dual-20Mv=49c
Yokomo BCS Dual-48c

A example of temp. settings influencing peak voltage:

Yokomo BCS Dual @ 42c=6.70volts discharge
Yokomo BCS Dual @ 48c=7.03 volts Discharge
Yokomo BCS Dual @ 52c=7.09 volts discharge

Dave
Old 10-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Fiddle Fadel
Yokomo BCS Dual

Regarding the battery temp. questions in the previous posts, these are my observations:

The battery temp seems to be the same on all my chargers (CE GFX,CE Pitbull,GM VIS Commander, BCS Yokomo) if the charging input is comperable.

6 cell GP 3300 packs ( year old)
CE GFX- cutoff .05=51c
CE Pitbull- the same
GM VIS Commander -20Mv= 49c
GM Vis Commander-52c-self explaning
Yokomo BCS Dual-20Mv=49c
Yokomo BCS Dual-48c

A example of temp. settings influencing peak voltage:

Yokomo BCS Dual @ 42c=6.70volts discharge
Yokomo BCS Dual @ 48c=7.03 volts Discharge
Yokomo BCS Dual @ 52c=7.09 volts discharge

Dave
im not sure if its because im not charging matched cells with the charger...the cells do really go up to about 65c, i tried charnging a matched pack with the yok charger, it still comes out to around 65c!
what setting are you using to charge with the yok charger?
Old 10-08-2003, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It looks like he's using a 20mv cutoff. That's what I've been using with mine as well
Old 10-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Matt Howard
It looks like he's using a 20mv cutoff. That's what I've been using with mine as well
im also tried using 20mv cut off..and it still gets the cell up to 65c
Old 10-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Yokomo BCS Dual

I don't know what to tell you.

I have found that the packs temp will increase 1c or 2c after peak cutoff. Ex. If the peak cutoff is 48c the pack will gain an additional 1c to 2c before cooling.

When I give these temp. settings these can be used with the Temp Charge or the Linear charge. You can hook up the temp probe and moniter the pack voltage even in the linear mode.

I have been using the 20Mv cutoff for linear charge, but I now feel that the Temp charge at 52c gives a little better voltage.
The packs are very warm, but they seem to hold up well.

I have my GM Vis Commander set up using the same settings.

I like the Temp mode; no false peaks. Especially useful when I run 12th scale where everyone is plugged into a long power strip with multiple outlets.

The voltage outputs I used in the posts above, were unmatched packs. Some 4 cell packs I put together for my SD.
My better matched packs give up 7.20 volts @ 20amp disc.

In conclusion; I feel that the packs need to be at least 48c to deleiver racing performance. I am going to use 52c.

Dave
Old 10-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Regional Moderator

so i guess that it doesnt matter if my cells are like more than 60c then!
alright, finally got the problem sorted out! now i dont have to worry about my cell blowing up and stuff!
i think ill machine an alumium tray so the battery wouldnt be THAT hot after charge..i seriously couldnt handle them with my bare hands!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.