Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VVRC
I checked into the "championship" thing with Traxxas, and:
Traxxas Revo 3.3:
R/C Pro-Series National Champion 2004,2005,2006
ROAR Monster Truck National Champion 2006, 2007
Just in case anyone thinks Traxxas is not a championship winning company.
I guess if you're referencing what's all but turned into a small niche of the racing market........... you're right, they're kings of the monster trucks.

But I don't think the Slash is a MT, nor was the Rustler (basis for the Slash) ever considered much of a racer.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
But I don't think the Slash is a MT, nor was the Rustler (basis for the Slash) ever considered much of a racer.
Well the Rustler might not have had racing on top of the priority list when it was being designed, but in the right hands I've seen them hold their own out on the track. New tires, stronger transmission gears, and some suspension work, you can build a Rustler into the 2nd-ultimate Sportsman weapon (1st being an RC10T), and I wouldn't put it past someone using one to get into racing continuing to use it to test the waters of Stock Truck.

Plus, look at what the T-Maxx did not only to the nitro MT market but the entire R/C industry. It might be old news now, but back in its day it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Well the Rustler might not have had racing on top of the priority list when it was being designed, but in the right hands I've seen them hold their own out on the track. New tires, stronger transmission gears, and some suspension work, you can build a Rustler into the 2nd-ultimate Sportsman weapon (1st being an RC10T), and I wouldn't put it past someone using one to get into racing continuing to use it to test the waters of Stock Truck.

Plus, look at what the T-Maxx did not only to the nitro MT market but the entire R/C industry. It might be old news now, but back in its day it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

LOL - I think I saw somebody turn a Yugo into what they called a racecar once too...
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Well I'm not saying you should stay with a Rustler your whole career, but for someone who's on the fence about getting into racing or sticking to the backyard, it's hard to find a better way to get yourself on the track for the price.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Well I'm not saying you should stay with a Rustler your whole career, but for someone who's on the fence about getting into racing or sticking to the backyard, it's hard to find a better way to get yourself on the track for the price.
Agreed, sort of, but considering the cheapness of any of the RTRs out there from any of the other majors and the relative ease to convert their cars or trucks into fullout racers I'd still consider the Traxxas entries basher specials... not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

A Yugo was just a worked over Fiat 127, and it did have a darn fine small displacement engine. They do make some pretty good race cars. I bet cherry would disagree that anything designed for the street could be a real race car tho. Even these two that I own, real race cars that race wheel to wheel with other cars and never see the street:

Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cherokee
A Yugo was just a worked over Fiat 127, and it did have a darn fine small displacement engine. They do make some pretty good race cars. I bet cherry would disagree that anything designed for the street could be a real race car tho. Even these two that I own, real race cars that race wheel to wheel with other cars and never see the street:
I see a RWD Toyota and an Opel GT -- neither of which should be confused with a Yugo.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
Agreed, sort of, but considering the cheapness of any of the RTRs out there from any of the other majors and the relative ease to convert their cars or trucks into fullout racers I'd still consider the Traxxas entries basher specials... not that there's anything wrong with that.
The way I see it, IMHO: as long as you're out there, that's all that matters.

Case in point: last week I was meeting a long distance buddy of mine while he was on vacation here, we were gonna go to the Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI to watch open track night.

About 10:00AM that day, I'm sitting at my desk at work thinking, "why would a guy like me want to watch an open track session?"

OK, fast-forward to 4:00PM. I'm at home looking for my old dirt bike helmet and tearing the tonneau cover, bedliner, and tailgate off my 1998 Chevrolet S10 LS single cab standard box. 2WD, 2.2L inline 4, and a 5-speed manual with a bad 5th gear synchro, not to mention the blown catalytic converter. T'hell with this spectator BS, I'm goin' racin'.

And it was...pathetic. Best pass was something like a 20.048 at 64mph, wheel-hopped to beat the band, missed a couple of shifts...I was quite easily the slowest vehicle that went down the track that night.

But...I had a helluva lot more fun than I would if I'd just been sitting in the grandstands. And it made for a great story at work the day after.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

There was one that ran in the north east, but I can't seem to find it, saw a pic of it years ago on the IT site....hopefully this cone carver will do:

Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

And that is the enitre point, the most fun race cars are made from cars that where never ment to be race cars. Same point with RC cars. I love the odd ball, and while it is MUCH more expensive to race what I do over a Miata, I have a cool factor, the attention, and more photos taken of my car then any miata could ever dream about....but you pay a price to be different.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Old 08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey does any here know were I can find the Associated Off Road Desert Truck Thread ?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

i hate to say it but i kinda hope itsa nitro truck just cause in the slash class its a stock spec class only wich waves byby to me i just gotta run a mod class to me i hate stock classes. so if its a nitro truck and its 1/8th scale that means a .21-.28 motor. i dont know you get 10-15 of those corr style .21 nitro trucks in an amain with a corr style start boy that would be a good time! think about the noise comming down the 1st staight away into the 1st corner!!! ohyaaaaa
Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by charly71
i hate to say it but i kinda hope itsa nitro truck just cause in the slash class its a stock spec class only wich waves byby to me i just gotta run a mod class to me i hate stock classes. so if its a nitro truck and its 1/8th scale that means a .21-.28 motor. i dont know you get 10-15 of those corr style .21 nitro trucks in an amain with a corr style start boy that would be a good time! think about the noise comming down the 1st staight away into the 1st corner!!! ohyaaaaa
That's where I think it would be a wise decision for it to be electric AND in kit form, no rtr running gear. Adding another nitro class does nothing but dillute the fields that have already been suffering from lack of participation, and with those style of tires you'd never get a .21 or .28 to work and you'd be forced to use a .15 - and that would make them pigs.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Electric is clearly the wave of the future. Electrics are beating nitros where nitros used to dominate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.