Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Exponential Setting >

Exponential Setting

Exponential Setting

Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

If you have it and it makes you a better racer use it. It's not cheating and the only way it can be considered picking up bad habits if you stop using expo and you wont have the manual skills or reaction to compensate. Big Woop.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's definitly not cheating, it's an electronic aid. I use to use Expo all the time in 2wd electric racing on the throttle to eliminate wheel spin, but on 1/8th scales I never use Expo because there's practically an infinate amount of mechanical adjustments you can make to get the car comfortable for you to drive. Just my opinion, but I think it will make you a stronger driver and mechanic to figure out the car mechanically before you go to Expo

For example, on the throttle there is plenty of set up options in regard to the clutch that you can make, on the steering you can the change the ackerman to either have more or less steering response, but if your steering is twitchy at neutral it's probably a good idea to dial in a little negative expo (I think on my radio negative is used to "smooth" out the steering - check your manual
Old 06-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Definitely use the expo, I think around 15 - 20% on most radios will give you linear steering and throttle response, remember servo arms travel in an arc and not directly in a straight line.

The other thing is for a linear throttle response, the little 2 stroke carbs don't give a linear throttle so expo will help, i.e. is half throttle actually 50% power output... with expo you can get it close.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Good tools....bad tools.....

I have to agree with Loop & Roll here. Expo is just a tool that happens to be electronic. It is not different than traction control using a slipper or adding one carbon shoe to your alum clutch. It is personal preference.
One thing that is nice, is when you got out to the track for your round and find it has been watered. Now you have tons of traction. You can adjust expo where I can not adjust the clutch.
Its a good tool! By all means, play with it and see for yourself if you like it.
You will not hear me complain.
TEX
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Expo is a great tool.

I use it the mostly on throttle.Especially electric's.

But I do use a little negative on my 1/8 throttle if the track is slippery.
I dont use it much on steering.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KR145
Expo is a great tool.

I use it the mostly on throttle.Especially electric's.

But I do use a little negative on my 1/8 throttle if the track is slippery.
I dont use it much on steering.
I also use 50% exponential for throttle - brake. Honestly I can't feel the difference between 50% and 0%. I use this setup for GP and EP.