Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Blue Grove or Loomy Which Do You Prefer >

Blue Grove or Loomy Which Do You Prefer

Blue Grove or Loomy Which Do You Prefer

Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

if there is a good grove, you can run slicks and as long as you stay in the line you will have traction. however i think a loamy track seperates the skill levels of the drivers with the track changeing all the time.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Loamy track.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Great topic..

I have raced on all the different types of dirt surfaces that are out there, and I like racing on dry surfaces. Not necessarily blue groove, but dryer...

Most the tracks here is California are more of what I call farm dirt. Very few clay tracks here. I have raced in Florida and Georgia, and the Clay tracks there are sick for traction wether they are ran dry or wet. If it's ran wet, you will be spending quite a bit of time cleaning your buggy, because that stuff really sticks to everything. I don't enjoy the cleaning process too much, so I'd rather run on dry tracks to save on the cleaning and extra maintenance that running on wet tracks require. Not to mention that dry tracks (even if they are dusty) will IMO be more consistent, and easier to drive fast on.

I (fortunately) get very good wear and life from my tires (and clutch), and the little quicker wear hasn't been a major issue for me. I totally understand where most of you are coming from on the cost of tires, and how important it is to have the right tire to be fast, only to have them burn off in 1 run is hard to justify.

I don't like what I call "easy" tracks. I prefer a track that is going to change and force the drivers to find the fast line constantly. When you catch youself going into "auto pilot" mode, then the track is IMO too easy. It should keep you on your toes, and looking for the the area's to avoid.

Gotta get back to work...Just my thoughts...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lanerbrainer205
so they don't offer any more colors?
for the twister yes yellow, but the panther I'm not sure.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The panther tire are great but the wheels strip out easy. In my case its happened twice. They spin out if I get them to tight.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I really like both type tracks alot.
I used to hate dry tracks but that was when I was new and what I learned on. Now I really like dry tracks, and it's funny to hear guys complaining how there is no traction and the track sucks. I used to be one of those guys and it took forever to learn how to drive those tracks with an old rc10gt.

But you can't beat a race on a big loam track that develops potholes and the jumps change. Watching dirt fly and not worrying about which exact tire to run is nice. I used to have a video of a sweet track that was loamy. I loved playing it in slow motion and watching the suspension of the cars work. Really showed how these "toys" we race are really true machines and works of engineering art!!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My favorite track is loamy and i enjoy all tracks that have a loose-ness to them. I run Bow-Tie's and don't care for a small pin or bald tire that hard packed tracks require.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I have been racing 3 yrs on a college budget. All the local tracks I race at are loamy. I went to the Cen race in Bossier city, put on a brand new set of komodo IIs premounts ($60) which I bought to run all weekend. I went out and ran a 10 minute practice session, and my tires were toast. I wanted to cry.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Franchize04
I have been racing 3 yrs on a college budget. All the local tracks I race at are loamy. I went to the Cen race in Bossier city, put on a brand new set of komodo IIs premounts ($60) which I bought to run all weekend. I went out and ran a 10 minute practice session, and my tires were toast. I wanted to cry.
I know I would