Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Nitro Fuel Pric Increase ? >

Nitro Fuel Pric Increase ?

Nitro Fuel Pric Increase ?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default Nitro Fuel Pric Increase ?

Just been informed by my lhs that the cost of model fuel will be increasing to $45 - $50 in the next month or two.

I read something about this on here a while back, but thought that it was said to be just rumors.

Has anyone else heard of this happening for real ?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Location: Bending Corners R/C Raceway(s) 2190 North Canal Street Orange, CA 92865

Yea, I've heard it and seen the fuel price for the Airplane and Heli increase. I knew it was just a short time before the land fuel would increase.

I race Go-Karts and our price has increase 25% for 5 gallons of fuel.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

There is going to be an increase. $40-50 sounds out of control from what I have heard...
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yep get used to it.

My local shop just put in an order for odonnell and went up 10$ a gallon.

He was still waiting to hear back from byron.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Tech Legend

Default Just something I heard today

China , who makes the worlds Nitro.

Is going to discontinue production....
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

Yeh and they're also about to stop making fuel for 1:1 cars too !
Old 06-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

What will they be producing then?
Methane?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Yes, fuel price is increasing but there is NM

The cost of raw goods (methanol, Nitro methane, lubricants) has increased significantly during the last couple of months. Nitro methane (NM) has doubled in the last year and expected to continue its move upwards until early next year. China, due to the Olympics has shut down all but a few of their NM production facilities due to waste/pollution and is also not allowing hazardous goods through some of its ports. Angus is at 100% NM production levels here in the US but is selling its supply to the agriculture and pharmaceutical industry. Unfortunately, RC fuel blenders must pass on these increases. It’s also expected that blenders will limit NM content in their fuels to 20%. Long story short---our NM in on the slow boat from China but is still available.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Other things i've seen increase in the last year that are related are: sealing products for asphalt, and traction compound. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see nitro fuel for r/c go up as well. And considering the price of gas, the sealing products, and traction compound, $40-$50 for a gallon doesn't seem crazy to me.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

There was an increase in Byrons a couple months ago. I just Got a fresh shipment yesterday, no increase. I can still sell 30% for $27 and 20% for $25.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Do you have pro driver gen 2 in 30% and if so, can you ship me a case?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

We are seeing it on the NHRA side. All the nitro top fuel dragsters and nitro funny cars, have lost all there testing sessions because fuel will not be there. According to Don Schumacher (one of the top fuel team owners and nitro distributer), one of the biggest nitro producers in china went out of buisness or bankrupt(somthing like that) and that is causeing a nitro shortage. Affecting dragracing and the model car industry.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
We are seeing it on the NHRA side. All the nitro top fuel dragsters and nitro funny cars, have lost all there testing sessions because fuel will not be there. According to Don Schumacher (one of the top fuel team owners and nitro distributer), one of the biggest nitro producers in china went out of buisness or bankrupt(somthing like that) and that is causeing a nitro shortage. Affecting dragracing and the model car industry.
Actually they are not bankrupt. They are state owned. It is communism you know. The problem is the olympics. China has shut down all the nitro plants to cut down on pollution during the events. I also hear a lack of feed stock and recent flooding has caused problems but mainly it's the whole olympics thing.

Of course, I foolishly believed this would not be a problem for fuel blenders that got their nitro from the U.S. Unfortunately the shortage has caused Angus to dump all their production towards agriculture and pharmaceuticals to fill the gap. Racers come afterwards.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN

i heard the in China the gov. saying No more producing fuel due of coming Olympic!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Yea i forgot shumachers wording but it was somthing to the effect of the nitro companies being shut down. Hopfully once the olympics are over it will start up agian.

These olympics are turning into more work then what they are worth

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.