Search

Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RocketRob40
Got it and replied.

But fact is that they're both 1/10th desert trucks, based on older model 1/10th STs. I mean where is fair in drawing the line?
The line is wherever the track/racedirector is. since this thread is about the Slash I have to guess that the Losi thing, whatever it is and wherever it came from, is on the "other side" of the line.

Something to add about the motor/battery spec rules; I have been a proponent of Lipo and brushless since both's inception but in the case of this class I would be willing to give up my BL in the name of inexpensive, fair racing. The point was made earlier that they couldn't be rebuilt and while that's true, I have to believe that these motors only cost $20 (somebody chime in if you know the price). That's less than a set of tires guys. If they last 4+ weeks then I think the disposable spec motor is actually a good thing. It takes the skill of tuning out of the mix, like bl does but without the cost of entry. Guys can spend som effort on maintaining the motors instead of tuning the life out of them. Again, a good thing.

The Lipo battery issue is not an issue at all. The only people that will be find themselves out powered will likely have bought a generic 6-cell when they got the truck and did little to maintian it. That guy will then learn about batteries and make the choice to get either Nimh or Lipo, both of which will be costly but neither of which represents a change of equipment or direction to the new racer. Most will go LiPo because they are cheaper and easier in the long run and do not respond to any of the old battery voodoo (again, a good thing).

I am rallying the troops at my local track too, these things just look too fun.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RocketRob40
But fact is that they're both 1/10th desert trucks, based on older model 1/10th STs. I mean where is fair in drawing the line?
If you put them side by side, you'd quickly see that while the Slash uses Nitro Stampede/Nitro Rustler suspension, the chassis is a stretched Stampede 1/10 MT (with the battery up on top) to make the chassis roll over in the corners. That...and the tires are skinny.

The Slash is a different beast...while the Losi isn't changed in any way geometry or chassis-wise from a standard XXX-T.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

The Titan motor list at $28 I think, Tower sells them for $23. Pretty much a throw away motor at that price, and if you do a little maintenance they can easily last you 10 race days without a performance loss.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miller_Time
The Titan motor list at $28 I think, Tower sells them for $23. Pretty much a throw away motor at that price, and if you do a little maintenance they can easily last you 10 race days without a performance loss.
I'm sure that Speedtech will have them cheaper than that once he gets up to speed on Slash stuff. Tower prices are generally pretty high unless you have a coupon.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The motor will last longer if you pull the metal sleve off of it
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dhcrowder
The motor will last longer if you pull the metal sleve off of it
What does that sleeve do anyways?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stitchy
What does that sleeve do anyways?

It is there to help strengthen the magnetic field. On a old std 550 they were worth a couple power points on the dyno. Don't have the dyno anymore so I haven't got a chance to compare it on traxxas' 12T 550.

Some feel it holds in heat and shortens then life of the motor but I personaly try to keep from heating my motors that far and use a little heatsink gel on the sleave to help draw heat from the motor.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Stichy, we missed you for the mains on Sat......how was dinner?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dhcrowder
Stichy, we missed you for the mains on Sat......how was dinner?
answered in Peg thread, as to not hijack this one.

Mel and I brought our Slashes to OCRC yesterday, and people seemed genuinely interested in them, although it's still a predominantly a "racer's track," meaning the regular racing trucks and buggies rule by a huge margin. Hopefully we'll get more people interested and as more people bring them out, we should be able to get a class started!

There was a Losi DT entered into the amateur buggy class, and it did okay, but I would imagine with a tire change, it would be much closer to the regular racing trucks than the Slash, but that's just my opinion. Don't flame me, bro!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone bringing their Slash to OCRC today?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Man, it's lonely in here

To answer my own question, there were four Slashes racing tonight. Slim won, and I took second. Hopefully, this class takes off from here!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Rookie

hey guys, just got my slash this past week and went to practice on Saturday. Had an absolute blast. I saw slim and we ran together, my other buddy was out there too with his slash.

Im hoping to make it on wednesday, anyone else coming out for a slash race?