Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What size/no. of ports engine for all out performance? >

What size/no. of ports engine for all out performance?

What size/no. of ports engine for all out performance?

Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Tech Adept

Default What size/no. of ports engine for all out performance?

Im looking onto buying an 8ight kit that will be used for bashing at first because im not in the position to race atm but will be raced in the future. So with $250-$300 to spend and with no concerns on fuel economy or size rules, whats the best size, number of ports and brand of engine for all out performance all the way up the rev range? Mostly top end really. Also want the engine to hold a tune really well.

Big thanks for any advice.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

If money is no object and size is no concern... Hmmm....

well a couple engines come to mind...

Big Blocks...
GRP .28
OS .30 VG
Novarossi 528
Dynamite 427

Small blocks...
RB C6
Novarossi P5
GRP .21
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

dont buy a 28/30 just get a good 21. the nova motors are great qual. but take a little more to breakin. the os motors are priced right,easy to breakin have the best easy to tune carbs,and if you go with the new ninja jx os based motor (which goes for 329 on a main) you'll get a hard coated crank with a 5 port. dont just look at allout performance, smooth power,easy to tune,long life,are what one should look at.the grp or go motors would not be one of my choices. hopes this helps.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

GO .21 5 port or 7 port, OS v-spec, the ninja mill is good also, The nove .21 plus 5 is a good choice also. I definetly wouldnt buy a .28 either.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Adept

Why not the .28s? doesn't more displacement = more power? remember fuel consumption is not a concern to me so ifs that's the reason, pls recommend one of the .28s if they will have more overall power.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

OS 28 is an absolute MONSTER. Will smoke anything as far as raw power. Get it modded and Hoooleeee sheeeeit! Chickenfarmer has one for sale in the buy sell thread right now. For racing though it is just too much to handle.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonro
Why not the .28s? doesn't more displacement = more power? remember fuel consumption is not a concern to me so ifs that's the reason, pls recommend one of the .28s if they will have more overall power.
Although a .28 will give you more low RPM power, you'll be faster with a good .21 and they make just as much HP... just at a higher RPM.

There are a lot of good motors out there... pick something you can get locally. OS engines have the best carbs, they're the easiest to tune and hold a tune better than anything... but they aren't quite as long-lived as some other engines. They're also the easiest to break in of any of the "major" manufacturers. RB is probably the longest lasting... if you want great reliability and long life, and awesome power an RB WS7III will get you there.

The Werks motors like I run have mixed reviews... some people have problems keeping them tuned, but my holds a tune great and I've got almost 6 gallons through it, with plenty of pinch left. (I can barely turn it over in the chassis still)
Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run an RB S5 and as far as longevity and power there are no complaints what-so-ever. The tune is very touchy, as in an hour makes a huge difference, but holds its tune very well once I get the tune right, I can leave it alone all day. Only thing I could complain about is that it is very touchy on the bottom end of the RPM range with the JP-3 pipe. I hear that the WS7-III has a much smoother powerband.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

get a picco P3 .28 and then get it modified. I am getting one for my truck and getting it modified from powerhouse performance. he says its one of the meanest trucks he has ever modified and gets a lot of power.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Adept

What do you guys think about the OFNA Jammin JPX .28? I was looking at the EB mods websites dyno tests page(http://www.ebmods.com/Dyno%20Graphs.htm) and this engine at stock, has the highest output of all of them with the right pipe(http://www.ebmods.com/Jammin%2028%20...pe%20combo.jpg) opinions?
Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If im not mistaken the Picco P3 .28 and the Jammin.28 are the same mill. If they arent they are damn close. I saw an AB mods P3 in action and it was incredible. But in a buggy I would NEVER put a .28 or for that matter no engine larger than a .21. I would get a GO tech .21 5 or 7 port modded, it should cost you about $275 no more and you will have a car that wont be passed by anything. Thats what I am getting for my new buggy this fall.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

id say get a .21 buggy plus .28 is just overkill and say one day you get the notion to go race well most places won't allow a .28 i'd say stick with a .21 heck if you want tons of speed get an on-road mill

$250-$300 range:
os vspec(absolute beast)
nova p5(low end power)
go tech 5 port(great all around power and a good sticker price 2 of only $200-$220 max)
picco p7 series also beast motor they run i believe in the $250 range
new trinity motors are also supposed to be fast unsure of price though
nova 21-5,21-7,821b are also fast motors

if you decide you wanna go .28
picco massive torque
os all around power
ninja .28 smoother bottom loads of top
werks .28 (supposed to be fast cost under 200)
etc.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
RB is probably the longest lasting... if you want great reliability and long life, and awesome power an RB WS7III will get you there.
I wouldn't describe the WS7 III as awesome power compared to the C6, the bottom end won't blow your mind like a few other engines, but for smoothness and controlability it's my choice for racing. The C6 is a bit of an animal...

Walking round to the pits at our track with engine running and not taking a starter box is what we call "RB confidence".
Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IanWright
I wouldn't describe the WS7 III as awesome power compared to the C6, the bottom end won't blow your mind like a few other engines, but for smoothness and controlability it's my choice for racing. The C6 is a bit of an animal...

Walking round to the pits at our track with engine running and not taking a starter box is what we call "RB confidence".
Completely agree. All my RBs were/are rock solid. The S7/WS7 is very smooth, topend is great, bottom is ok but it won't blow your skirt up. The C6 on the other hand will climb a wall, but is still very smooth with decent topend.

I have my s7 choked down with a 7mm restrictor, and on the 200ft straight there are very few cars that have pulled away.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Exclamation

+1 for the C6

I got one... Its hella crazy but smooth as hell too!!!