RC8 or 808?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

might as well get an xray.... but parts support where I live is the suxorz...

its a kit which I love.

has plastic steering knuckles which is odd...

Cant find it for under $600... which sucks...

if there are any known issues with the 808...let me know!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

ive driven both cars.. and i think the 808 is a better car if u want to get right down the point.. way less parts wear better rear traction even if u do the shock mods on the rc8 the 808 still has more traction. car is not as picky on setup as the rc8 if ur off on the setup on rc8 it will let u know for sure.. the 808 u can be a little off on setup and still be okay and in the ball park of the leaders. good luck on the purchase but hands down 808... inless AE makes better plastic then i might look back at rc8...
Old 06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have had my 808 for two race weeks now. I have broken nothing and really don't need any upgrades out of the box. My friend with an RC8 is always fixing or adding something. I have driven his car and think it does hook up awesome with his current setup (modified Silver State). Ultimately, you have to try and drive them at your local track to see what you like. Also, does your local hobby shop stock X-Ray or AE parts? On race day it sucks to break and not be able to get the part you need.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Based on the relevant responses, sounds like the 808 handles closer to the 8ight.

Hmmm, I don't think thats going to work for me then. Had an 8ight and it just didn't suit my style of driving...

My LHS stocks AE parts. But for me, a local hobby shop stocking parts isn't a factor. If I break during a raceday, the hobby shops are too far away to make the round trip in any reasonable amount of time and I'm good with calling it a day, ordering the parts and having them ready for the next weekend. I usually carry the more likely parts to fail...

thanks for the responses!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

You can adjust the car to suit your driving style. Though one thing you can't undo is the cars weight. It's simply lightweight so it will be more agile. People who have went with them have had no complaints.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok, let me clarify. the losi didn't come close to suiting my driving style, the 808 is on the money. And like he said it's better to be under weight and add weight rather than be over and hard pressed trying to put your car on a diet.

I whooped a couple RC8's today by the way!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
might as well get an xray.... but parts support where I live is the suxorz...

its a kit which I love.

has plastic steering knuckles which is odd...

Cant find it for under $600... which sucks...

if there are any known issues with the 808...let me know!
I had an xb8r and a tq. When I was lloking at replacing parts I found a place called teamhelotes.com Had everything I was looking for and was somewhat lesser expensive than other places. Hope this helps!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have to question how you guys can claim that the 808 is durable... The buggy just came out and no one here has raced even close to a full season with it. Yet you claim all these things about it. It's like you built it and drove it a couple of times and said "yup durable".
I'm not saying it's not durable but jesus guys it just came out. Why don't you race it for a few months then come in here and make your claims.

Everyone look up, the band wagon is going by better jump on!!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well he asked to choose between the two cars and compared to the RC8 when it first came out, the 808 is way more durable. A full race day can tell you a lot about the durability of the car, most people who owned the RC8 never made it fully through their first race day ( hinge pins falling out, top plates breaking, lower top plates breaking etc). I have had both and they both handle amazing, but it was an easy choice for me to stick with the 808. The quality is top notch and goes together like a glove! Like i said both cars have treated me well, but i favor the 808 more for my taste as i love the handling of the losi.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink I have seen time on these cars.....

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
I have to question how you guys can claim that the 808 is durable... The buggy just came out and no one here has raced even close to a full season with it.
Being down here in Dallas, the Xray team is right here. I can tell you this for a fact. I have been around this car since before the average consumer got them. I have seen these guys do some nasty stuff with these cars and come away with a smile. I can also verify for you the fact that every one of them got faster as well.
The RC8s still break and that tank thing has sent quite a few of our local racers home for the day. They need to get that fixed in a bad way. A well hooked up RC8 just does not look as stable as the 808. It bounces and tosses itself around where the 808 seems to glide through. They are both good cars but once you build an Xray you will understand.
Very good car.
TEX
Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have to question how you guys can claim that the 808 is durable... The buggy just came out and no one here has raced even close to a full season with it.

When the RC8 came out, there was 3 at our track that Saturday. All three never made it to the main due to part(s) failure. (Top plate and Steering knuckles broke) The next weekend they were all back and only 1 made it to the Main. The RC8 is a good buggy. But if a driver buys it, then they have to buy several aftermarket parts (another $100.00) to make it race worth.

I know of "Box Stock" 808's that now have to 8-10 races on them, with ZERO part failure. Not one broken or worn out part. Not to say a driver will never break a part on there 808, it will happen, but know that when/if you buy an 808 you can race it with confidence that you can make it to the end of the Main.

Isn't that worth the extra $$ for the kit. IMO that's a BIG yes!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Legend

Dang ! I must be the only one who has`nt had any issues with the Rc-8...

Love the Ae and the team that support it ....

Notice:

did`nt have to bash the 808 to support my ride....
Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

808 - love it. Just slap it together and you have a winner. Stock setup is a little tought to drive though. Go 5-5-4 in the diffs and go 40wt and 35wt (front-rear) in the shocks with the 14 pistons and.....drive it like you stole it!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i haven't raced my rc8 yet but i put it through one hell of a practice session and it came away in one piece so far i love my rc8