Wiki Posts
Search

Raising Ride Height On NTC3

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Raising Ride Height On NTC3

How can I do it? I know of the shock collar method by adding more "C" spacers but i was wondering if there is anyway to do it from the A-Arms, mounting points, etc.? Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am guessing that you are wanting to run it on dirt oval, is that correct?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

I believe that most of the dirt oval racers replace the .56 shock shafts with the .71 shafts. I am not possative on those numeric sizes, but I believe that it is correct.
An easier, quicker, and cheaper way would be to replace the plastic shock end with a longer one. Try using a Dubro tie rod end or other after market tie rod end for planes, boats and helicoptors.

If you are running it on an on road track, I do not recomend changing anything on the geometry to get ride height except your preload on the springs. Make sure that you back the droop screws out first because they will limit your adjustment if they are touching the chassis.. The stock geometry should give you more than enough adjustment to get the ride height that you need.

Last edited by smac; 05-29-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

No I'm planning to do on-road racing, specifically drifting. Problem is the new body I just finished, I cant lower it anymore to get rid of the wheel gap without the sideskirts hitting the ground. It already has less then 1mm clearance for the front bumper. Would stiffer springs raise the ride height?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

lower the body mounts
Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Spring tension does not change ride height. Pre load to that spring does.

Set the ride height of your chassis to about 6mm for on road racing. Do not change it to make your body fit or your car will handle like crap! Ride height is a very important tuning adjustment to make a car handle correctly. If you are planning on drifting then you really do not want to raise the ride height, because it could cause you to traction roll.

If you need to adjust the height of the body then do it with the body mounts or by trimming the body. If you need taller body mounts because the ones that you have were cut down, then you should be able to get them pretty cheap at your local hobby shop.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

Okay, I'll go ahead and trim the body some or just live with the wheel gap. Just wanted it flush since I see a lot of people with their bodies perfectly sitting right at the tire line with no gap.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SDNitroGuy
Okay, I'll go ahead and trim the body some or just live with the wheel gap. Just wanted it flush since I see a lot of people with their bodies perfectly sitting right at the tire line with no gap.
Raising the ride height won't reduce the wheel gap at all. Think about it, the relationship between the ground and the tires and the wheel wells stay the same. The bottom of the body will still be almost touching the ground. The only thing that raising ride height will do the get the body lower to the chassis. Trimming the body is the only way to do it. The other way is the cut the wheel wells last and trim them to match the wheel. This is the best way to get the wheel gap to look perfect. Some cars have a little different wheel base so the wheels don't really align with the lines on the body. It depends on the chassis mfg vs the body mfg.