Search

Just blew my motor!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Angry Just blew my motor!!!!!!!!

:flam ing:

i am pissed

it was a 1 month old jammin .28 that was tuned perfectly and average temp was about 215

the con rid, piston, and sleeve are are garbage

it had only 1 and a half gallons of 30% sidewinder!!

what did i do wrong???????
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Take some pictures of the broken parts and I will tell you.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by playboy
:flam ing:

i am pissed

it was a 1 month old jammin .28 that was tuned perfectly and average temp was about 215

the con rid, piston, and sleeve are are garbage

it had only 1 and a half gallons of 30% sidewinder!!

what did i do wrong???????
Posting online won't get it fixed. If you say you did nothing wrong, then talk to Jammin about it. I am sure they will listen to what you say, and if you seen reasonable and honest, they will probably help you out.
Coming onto a forum and flaming a product will get you nowhere.

Colin
Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I dont think he was flaming in fact he even asked what HE did wrong? Either way call OFNA and they will take care of you. They have pretty good customer service.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah give ofna a call, if it went down the way you say, and there was no "runaway" situation, they should help you out.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C Branch
Posting online won't get it fixed. If you say you did nothing wrong, then talk to Jammin about it. I am sure they will listen to what you say, and if you seen reasonable and honest, they will probably help you out.
Coming onto a forum and flaming a product will get you nowhere.

Colin
I totaly disagree,
That is why we a have Rc tech to let others know about a FAULTY PRODUCT or bad transactions.

I was really serious in buying a Jamin but I don't think I would now.
I Know how it feels to loose a new motor as it happened to my V spec.

Without going on Rc tech they wouldnt even have a look at it.
After posting on Rc tech it was sent back to Japan..
Old 05-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

HAH...I HIGHLY doubt this was a manufacturer's flaw.....Picco/Jammin/Drake's are known for the conrod stretching at over a gallon mark...its plain wear and tear....U didnt change the rod and stretched it out and popped the motor....deal with it...there are Lots of motor's u need to worry about this....Not just the JPX.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Thats too bad, I always had good luck with the Picco based motors. I had three P3-28's in the last 2 years and all of them went over 6 gallons before the rod was replaced and the one split in half like a wishbone at the 7 gallon mark. Most companies do tell you to replace the rod after 4-6 quarts but most of the time those are conservative numbers and I'm the type that after I mod the motors, I just keep rolling the dice and see how far they go. Three P3-28's, only one rod failure, never put new bearings in them, never pinched any of them and all three went to the 8 gallon mark, still had pinch and I sold one to a guy in Cali who called me the following week and bought the other 2 because the one he won on ebay ran so good for him. I couldn't have asked for 3 better running, better lasting engines than that. I agree, give OFNA a call and they will most likely ask you to send it in for inspection and if it truly has only 1-1.5 gallons on it, was perfectly tuned and doesn't show signs of overheating or detonation, they will most likely take care of it for you. I have seen some P7's warrantied and one of them was the guys fault and they still made him very happy. Give it a whirl and let us now what happens.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

ok thanks guy for all you help

i will probably get a picture of the piston and rod later one today

i will give jammin a call and send it on tomorow
Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

I run nothing but Jammin or Picco motors and have never had a problem. Like Powerhouse said, I had a P3 that went nearly 11 gallons before the bearings went out. Piston, sleeve and conrod are still perfect though.

+1 on what others have said about calling Ofna. They WILL take care of you.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

At my track a guy bought a brand new jammin .21 engine last month and took it out after break in to beat on it. He made three laps and as he came around his receiver battery tray lost contact and it flipped upside down at about half throttle and threw the con rod after only 5 seconds.

IMO it was too little rpm and too little time for that to happen to a brand new engine. If it had stayed there for maybe ten seconds or wide azz open I could see it happening easier.

I was only 30 feet away on pit lane and didn't have time to get around the pit deck before it died. I figured it had ran out of gas and stalled because it was just too soon to have thrown it as bad as it did. It was completely twisted over when he pulled the engine apart a few minutes later.

From what I have seen the con rod is a weak point on these engines.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default .

A person at the track I was racing at last weekend couldn't keep his jammin motor running for the feature for whatever reason. He flipped it and pinned it for a long time, Im guessing maybe 45 seconds. It may have stretched the rod but it surely didn't break and remained running. It had over a gallon on it. I believe these motors are strong when broke in right, it's a shame the bearings last a gallon.

Im sure if the motor stated above broke parts, it was seizing. The fact that it was upside down and leaning out helped matters. This seems like a very cut and dry case.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Geez I have run and modified dozens of Picco's........Jammin 21 being the best race .21 I have ever run..... I have only blown up 1 Picco .21, and it was from revving the motor while my Truggy was upside down... I guess the crankpin lost lubrication and the bronze busing in the conrod welded itself tot he crankpin, which resulted in my connecting splitting like a wishbone......... BUt it was 100% my fault from abuse.......

I see so many guys who dont beleive in break in, they dont even fire their brand new engine till they are trackside..they cold idle 1 tank then they are on the track hammering the piss out of the motor......... Yes you can break a motor in this way, but be prepared to change the conrod immediately.........As for bearings, once again I have Picco .21's with 7 race gallons still on original bearings..... So if the bearings are shot in 1 gallon its user error most likely.....IMHO the Picco .21's are the best,fastest 21 money can buy, they run so good when they are brand new that it foold people into thinking they are ready to be hammered on....meanwhile these motors will be metal on metal tight and in need of some break in TLC

Last edited by Maximo; 05-29-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Maximo
Geez I have run and modified dozens of Picco's........Jammin 21 being the best race .21 I have ever run..... I have only blown up 1 Picco .21, and it was from revving the motor while my Truggy was upside down... I guess the crankpin lost lubrication and the bronze busing in the conrod welded itself tot he crankpin, which resulted in my connecting splitting like a wishbone......... BUt it was 100% my fault from abuse.......

I see so many guys who dont beleive in break in, they dont even fire their brand new engine till they are trackside..they cold idle 1 tank then they are on the track hammering the piss out of the motor......... Yes you can break a motor in this way, but be prepared to change the conrod immediately.........As for bearings, once again I have Picco .21's with 7 race gallons still on original bearings..... So if the bearings are shot in 1 gallon its user error most likely.....IMHO the Picco .21's are the best,fastest 21 money can buy, they run so good when they are brand new that it foold people into thinking they are ready to be hammered on....meanwhile these motors will be metal on metal tight and in need of some break in TLC

+1 If broken in the RIGHT way, A really good heat cycle, these motors will last. As I stated earlier. My P3 was upside down for about 30 seconds at WOT and it was fine. No rod stretch nothing. I can understand the bearings going out after 10 or 11 gallons (which is what I had on mine) The picco and jammin motors have outlasted everything I've ever run. My V-spec died after 4 gallons. What a waste of money. All my piccos have at least 5 gallons or more and are still going strong.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

this is my piston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.