Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8ight kit/roller starter boxes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

Default 8ight kit/roller starter boxes

Ive heard that theres problems using the average 1/8 starter box with the 8ight - B and T rtrs, is it the same with the kits and rollers? Will the populars ofna starter boxes work with the pro 8ight - B and T kit chassis ok without any modification? or will i need to buy the losi box?

Thanks for any advice
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

The problem with the RTR's is that the engine mounts sit the engine up to high to reach the wheel on the starter box. All you have to do is swap out the engine mounts, get a normal back plate and they will work on most any box, no need for the Losi box.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Furadi
The problem with the RTR's is that the engine mounts sit the engine up to high to reach the wheel on the starter box. All you have to do is swap out the engine mounts, get a normal back plate and they will work on most any box, no need for the Losi box.
I had to shave the wheel slightly on my OFNA box to get it to clear the chassis consistantly... once I did that it worked fine. I just took a rat-tail file and held it against the wheel while running the box. (jammed the sharp corner of the end against it at an angle.)

Note that I am talking about the THICKNESS of the wheel, not diameter. I just beveled the edge a little.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have the OFNA truggy box for my RC8 and the Losi box for my 8T. The losi box does just what it is supposed to do with no problems whatsoever. The new boxes have an update to eliminate a problem the original ones have with the motors.

My OFNA box is massively powerful, but I've found the Losi box to be a perfect mate to my 8T. Just the fact it locks the truck onto the box is a plus since having to line the truck up to the flywheel every time you want to start it is a PITA, and it's moddable too http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=221457

My RC8 is set to line up pretty easy on my OFNA box, but still doesn't lock in so the rear can slide around while tuning it.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use the OFAN True Start chrome top (Black & Chrome) Buggy box. The car has to be shifted to one side in order for it to line up, but once you have it set, and the pins tight you just slap it on the box, and it fires every time. No need to shave or modify anything.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply's everyone. Ive read through most of the reviews on amain about the losi branded box for the 8ights and most say that it is complete crap so can anyone recommend a box they know for sure that will work with the 8ight pro? Its just that i live in Australia and ill be buying one from the US because its alot cheaper and i want to make sure i get the right one the first time.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

there is NOTHING wrong with the Losi box...alll those review's are From MEAT head RTR guys who thought they knew what they were doin with a starter box. ..i used my losi box stock for almost a year now with ZERO issues....i would Highly reccomend it.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yep. I can recommend also. Liking the Losi box very much.