Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with Axe Rossi engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

In onroad, if an Axe Rossi didn't keep up, it wouldn't surprise me. Novarossi has been so dominant in this area, because this is what they live for.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Does that say something about your engine or the knowledge and experience about the Novarossi driver(s) ?
My last personal experience with Rossi was 17 years ago with the Serpent P6 engine. I had 2 of them, one stock and one team modified and the modified one was fast.

The last 2 years there are 2 or 3 drivers running the Cobra engines in the dutch nationals. All I can say is that they are for sure not the fastest motors and for the money you can get for instance 2x a JP P7L which I believe is still a better performing engine.
This was a buggy engine comparison. The top Nova or Nova based engines of the time were not quite up to the task. Drivers were of equal abillity. The bar has been raised since then. I don't think the Black Magic of old would be a match for todays top Nova models.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default AXE ROSSI

I have a Innotech .21 L. Collari XS700 (hotmod), and it was manufactured by axe-rossi for Innotech/Collari. This motor was quite fast and is still going strong after 2gallons. I was planning to change the rod because this was my primary race motor, but I bought a JP Racing FX .21 and now that's my primary race motor. So I just use the Collari every now and then to drag race at our local drag spot. But overall this motor has been good to me aside from having to tune it a little more often then my other motors, and this thing is terrible on fuel.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

had no issues with the offroad engines
Old 05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Well I took the LS1 to the track today. This has got to be the most difficult engines to tune. After about an hour and a half I finally got this engine to respond. This engine barely makes a good club engine (my opinion) Its got average low end and a lack lust top end mid seems to be the best. I did learn this engine will NOT run correctly with any thing other than a cold plug. I first tried a medium Novarossi and the engine ran like crap; nothing I did made it any better until I put a cold plug in. We see how goes at my next club race.

Pass you soon...
Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Rossi issues

The Cobra on and off-road seem to be identical porting wise.

Problems!

The first crank had the weight come out and smash the motor to smithereens.

The replacement crank had the weight coming out when I checked while running in.

The next crank arrived with a crack as shown.

Poor fit of piston to sleeve needs ridiculously long break-in.

Bitch to tune.

Best chance is Nova carb and 9886 pipe.

I have given up on them.

I am going to plate it and make a trophy with the motor.
Attached Thumbnails Problems with Axe Rossi engines-hpim0849.jpg   Problems with Axe Rossi engines-hpim0818.jpg  
Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

For Offroad club racing the Axe Sport motor is excellent value for performance and is a 7 port.
It has enough grunt to run a truggy well.

Mike very bad luck with you experience.
To date all Cobra's i have sold and have seen have been running great and no failures.
Only issues we had initially was with teh first versions 3 needle carb which was changed and corrected.
The Mamba and Sport have also had no issues.
The onroad motors need some tlc though.

I think most manufacturers go through some bad batches and some shops might have stock from the first batches too.
Ive seen RB C6's with crank rub a very common problem, TOP motors from Nova breaking crank pins, JP motors throwing rods and having bearing failures , Sirio motors snapping cranks and porous crank cases, etc.
Just this past Sunday a club member had a crank break on his OS Speed.

All manufacturers have some crap sooner than later and teh public is a resource for R&D unfortunately.

Have to agree Nova are the bench mark for quality and performance though and is practically a household name in RC.