Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glow plug how often do you change ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Questions?? Glow plug how often do you change ?

Once again new to this and have searched without any results. I have a 8ight RTR and using Sidewinder fuel @ 20%. The engine has been broke-in and tuned. Still have original glow plug in engine. My replacement sold to me by HS where purchased is a O'Donnell 100 for .21-.50 engines. How often will I have to change plugs is there a general rule of thumb like it usually gets close after 10 tanks or a gallon. I've run roughly 8 tanks still have the better part of the gallon left. Thanks for all advise and help.

Scott
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Ideally I want to have glowplug that can last 3 race meeting ( close to 5 hours operation ).

Sucksly I usually end up with glowplug that last only 1 race ...... sometimes 2 plugs for 1 race, .... or worse, 3 plugs for 1 race.

Recently, after going up from C7TF to C8TF, I can make it last : 1 plug for 1 day.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Normally i run a new plug before an event, then keep that same plug in for any practice sessions between races, where I will change it again.

Of course, if for some reason my tune is off it can cost me another plug in the meantime.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

My buggys manual said to change the plug after running it in, because little metal particles can get caught in the plug because its a new engine, i dont think you have to change the plug after the running in, but i did to be safe, i have a O.S 8 plug in my car now and has lasted 4 meets and still going.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

I put in a new plug before every race to be safe.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Whenever it dies.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Default Plugs

First off remember that turbo plugs last longer than standard plugs. So your plugs longevity depends on the type. My turbo plugs get around 1 - 1.5 gallons before replacement. If you have an "off" tune it will take some life off the plug, and might only last .75 gallons or so. A standard plug should last at least around 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon. Also, Tthe hot plugs sometimes die faster, due to the coil being thinner on some brands. Everyone has slightly different results based on motor type, fuel, running temp, and plug type/temp.

Generally:
Turbo 1-2 gallons
Standard 1/2 - 1 gallons

Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

I have gone gallons usually 2 or 3 before I change them, if you know how to tune a motor well, they wont burn out. The only reason I change them after 2 or 3 gallons is just for the fact that they are old as hell.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

It depends on how long the engine sits. If it sits one week and pull it out, should be ok to practice and start with qualifiers. If it sits more than two weeks, I usually replace it. In my experience, they tend to decay fast after the first use