Wiki Posts
Search

What buggy to get B4, XXXCR or RB5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Gil Losi left cuz there was no room for improvement and he isn't really into RTRs.
Yeah...and he went to a company that's actually into racing.

I've had a CR and RB-5. The CR would break if I looked at it...and I could never get it to steer. I was seriously going to give up on 2wd buggy. I broke sooooo much stuff on that buggy it wasn't even funny and I'm not a bully at all.

I got the RB-5 about a year ago and I've broken one ("1", "uno") c-hub in the year I've had it (trying to clear 16' double at WOT with a 13.5...dumb move). The RB-5 is very easy to set up to turn AND be easy to drive. Now, I have a lot of fun with 2wd...like I always figured it should have been. Plus, no e-clips to fall out.

The Kyosho isn't the cheapest by the time you buy the world's upgrade and some decent turnbuckles...but you'll save the money on the spares you won't need to buy. It's not perfect or anything (stupid cheap stock motor plate sucks)...but you won't DNF.

I know that the Losi can be set up to run fast. I just never got it to work and it was uber-fragile. Lots of breakage became near-zero breakage instantly.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default xxx cr

my mate and i started racing bout 4 months ago. i choose to buy an XXXCR while he got a decent second hand B4. The losi for me has been great n we both found the B4 bit harder to use then the losi. The losi is bit more forgiving from a beginners point of view i think.

Also wat does 'slop out' mean?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickPapageorgio
I dont know if anyone has asked this question before or not...
Only once per week...
Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think the B4 is probably the easiest one to work with. After having the car for a week, fixing it becomes a no brainer. Im not discouraging any of the other brands, as im sure they have there easy parts to work with as well. This might just be an issue with my B4, but im hearing it more and more from people, that B4's seem to randomly break. (not saying the others dont as well, as im sure they do). You could run a b4 into a wall and have nothing happen, but you could clip a barrier and shatter an A-arm at random? Could just be a fluke, but makes it interesting when you would think the a-arm would shatter when you hit the wall, not when you clip a track barrier?

Good Luck though, there all good cars, Just remember, be associated with the best!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hey Joe,
If you can break a Losi just by looking at it you must be scarey lookin
That would give you a huge advantage when racing cuz there are so many Losi cars out there you could break them all just by lookin and probably win some races
Lookin forward to dicin with you again, you goin to OCRC?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

That has been a problem before...LOL

I'm going to try and make it out some time...but that's a bridge too far for me to get there on a regular basis. It's 40 miles each way in some of the nastiest traffic known to man.

Me and Towtruck Tony are trying to work out a carpool schedule.

I really like Pegasus though...chilled out, fun and cheap...and only 25 miles away.

Hey Joe,
If you can break a Losi just by looking at it you must be scarey lookin
That would give you a huge advantage when racing cuz there are so many Losi cars out there you could break them all just by lookin and probably win some races
Lookin forward to dicin with you again, you goin to OCRC?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by treemagnet

Also wat does 'slop out' mean?

Slop is the term used for excessive play in a part. For example if your a-arm slides around on the hinge pin because it was worn out, that is considered slop. Excessive play in a part that was designed to be tight.

To get the "slop out" means to correct the problem by removing the slop - because your taking the slop out of the part - by either shimming it or replacing it.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The RB5 is the most durable and easiest to set up of the three mentioned IMO.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
That has been a problem before...LOL

I'm going to try and make it out some time...but that's a bridge too far for me to get there on a regular basis. It's 40 miles each way in some of the nastiest traffic known to man.

Me and Towtruck Tony are trying to work out a carpool schedule.

I really like Pegasus though...chilled out, fun and cheap...and only 25 miles away.
Pegasus is 45 miles for me even though traffic isn't a huge factor on Saturday.
I really did have fun when I was there, that's for sure! Didn't care for it dry tho.
Now don't you look at my Losi cuz I only carry one spare set of front arms!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

I've had 2 B4's and the one I run now I race on 2s with a Mamba 5700-handles the power beautifully.

I chose the B4 because it was the newest thing I could get when I got my first one within months of it coming out-the one I run now I got used for free and it was in horrible condition-never seen a car in such bad condition actually. I was able to build it up easily from a used and abused Team Kit to a fast race car. I've loved it because of the parts support (no problems finding good online sites for parts and the LHS stock more B4/T4 parts that parts for every Losi combined). They dominate the local track.

If I had to make a choice now I'd get the RB5 because of all the good things I've heard, although I would be concerned over parts support.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i vote B4
Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

the b4 i heard has the best cornering of them all, get it
Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

I'm going to give it the evil eye.

You know...in fairness...I know plenty of people that run the older Losis (BK2, and back) and they never seem to break.

That CR broke a front arm on the very first time I put it on dirt. Rolled over one of the little rollers at SoCal on the back straight at half speed, came up a little short and *CRACK* like a broken bat goes the arm...and it never got better...LOL

Pegasus is 45 miles for me even though traffic isn't a huge factor on Saturday.
I really did have fun when I was there, that's for sure! Didn't care for it dry tho.
Now don't you look at my Losi cuz I only carry one spare set of front arms!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah those front arms on the CR made of EA3 seem pretty fragile in my experiences. Not bashing the CR, just saying.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by Crazy Carl
Well, I owned all of them and raced all of them. and for me this what I found.
The strongest car as far as not breaking was the RB5. If you are just starting out this is the car to start with providing ylhs carries the parts. Not much as far as maintance goes. I think it has the best shocks out of all three. With this car you can then find out what kind of a driver u are. If you like alot of steering easyly obtained, you are not a tinker then the B4 is for you. Not much setup changing to do. It is a good car at most places. Down side is the maintance it slops out quickly and loses it performance as it slops outs and then there are the shocks. They need to have the oil changed after each race day and complete rebuild once a month even more if you practice alot. Try to get the yokomo shock caps to help with this. Also some companies offer a shock sleeve to reduce the maintance, this keeps the oil cleaner.
Losi has great rear traction and forward bite but, with this traction comes pushing issues. But if you are a guy that like to play with set ups and make changes this is the cars for you. The maintance is much more forgiving than the above mentioned B4. As this car slops out it does NOT lose performance like the B4
For me I like tinkering The Losi works for me.
A little thinking outside the box and I have a Losi that really steers (hard in and out). But for the most part the RB5 is kinda in the middle. But for me most changes I did to the RB5 yeilded with no noticale difference. I went faster with the Losi and the B4. My B4 was the quickest single lap out all of the 3 but, was driving on the edge all the time. The losi was not much slower but for me way more stable and consistance. Also I could push the
Losi harder when needed

This guy knows his stuff!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.