Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fat500
what spur are you guys running for 17.5?
I just started using an 88t spur
Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone have any Red Surikarn Tamiya shocks they want to sell?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

thanks for the info
Old 07-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

when you guys are building the car are you adding any extra shims + or - to the shafts or are you following the manual exactly?
what wt. oil are you running? the kit supplied or something else. Thanks for all your input
Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

put 45 shims under the motor mount and 15 shims in the input shaft its really smooth after that wazup mark tb03 i like the ta05 better maybe i'll buy one and woop your ass with it
Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

oh yeah... try the 3-hole pistons and 40wt. oil, that should be good
i ran that on my 416we last weekend and you saw how sweet it ran
Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

when you guys are building the car are you adding any extra shims + or - to the shafts or are you following the manual exactly?
what wt. oil are you running? the kit supplied or something else. Thanks for all your input
Always shim to what feels right. The manual is just a miiddle of the road suggestion that will work but may be a little loose or a little tight. (Usually loose)

Andrew at Tamiya is doing a write up on how to race prep your TB03. It should be on the TRF and Tamiya site in a week or so.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Andrew at Tamiya is doing a write up on how to race prep your TB03. It should be on the TRF and Tamiya site in a week or so.
Awesome! I don't race, but improving the performance of the car is always great
Old 08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

For what its worth, I shimmed the diffs with 4 on the short side and 2 out the long side (this moves the diff gear closer to the propeller gear). I also added a 6mm shim right behind the propeller gear (bevel gear). This all seemed to tighten up how the gears meshed but left just a bit of play. Disconnected from the motor, everything seemed to spin nice and freely.

I'm definitely curious what others have done, though.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks, i will post what i use later
Oil????wt????? or kit stuff?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks, i will post what i use later
Oil????wt????? or kit stuff?
Personally, I'm just using the stuff that comes with the kit which is 400. Its not in wt, its unit is the metric counterpart which I forget off the top of my head.

Anyway, I'm sure this is something I could optimize. Keep in mind though, that the weight of oil will vary a lot depending on surface and track temp. Everything I'm doing is for desert hot and rough low grip asphalt.

At some point, I'll probably get some thicker oils from muchmore to try out. I'll probably upgrade to the TRF shocks first, though.

Last edited by bluesxman; 08-01-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
TA05 - 5x11 bearings = old style axle (thats right.. old style suspension)
TA05R - same as TA05

TA05 IFS-R - 5x10 bearings.. new style axle, SAME as evoV MS and 416, 416WCE.

TB-03 same as 416WCE.

TA05 IFS-R - 5x10 bearings...1150
TA05 ifs-5x9 bearings...950

i found this out the hard way
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi all,

Just woke up from coming back from Maryland...again lol. Had a blast up there at the Coliseum, they had a nats warm up race this past weekend. Awesome track! If anyone has the chance to race there I highly recommend it. One of the best run places period.

Took the TB03 there to see what it could do. Unfortunatley, I wasn't able to test the graphite chassis, and boy did I need it LOL! The Coliseum has more grip than any track I've been to. I honestly believe it has more grip than most carpet tracks There is so much grip at this track that my friend Jimmy Mac broke 4 sets of spool cups on his Yokomo! So I was fighting traction rolling problems with the TB03 that really couldn't be tuned out because the chassis is just too flexible. That and I forgot my swaybars back home in NC I did finally get a setup that worked as best as it could for the main and finished 4th in the A. But even with a setup that worked decent, I had to play it safe and take some turns a little wide to prevent me from rolling over. But even after all the issues I had I am very impressed with the TB03's performance. It was running close to the same laptimes as all the highend carbon cars on average, with hot laps for the top 4 places in the Amain being, 1st - 12.435, 2nd - 12.036, 3rd - 12.348, 4th(me) - 12.365.

I did record my qualifiers and main, so I will post them up when I get the time to. I can post my setup from this race but I'm not really sure if it could help anyone because I wasn't using the graphite chassis....i don't recommend anyone running on super super high grip without one. Next nats warmup race they have I'm bringing the 416 but I should have the graphite tub for the TB and I will give it a go to see if I can make even more people scratch there heads
Old 08-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Like what Jimmy said, shim to what feels right. I don't even look at what the manual says to do when it comes to shimming the drivetrain. I start by shimming the pinion's till they have just a tick of play front to back. On the diffs I start on the short side by adding shims then checking the backlash at the pinion while pulling on the short side to make sure its flush with the side of the diff housing. Then I take up the difference on the long side. I check runout on the gears by hand first to get it close. I check this at 6 positions on the crown gear. Then I use plastigauge to check the tolerance one final time. The plastiguage is probably not really needed, but I'm a little OCD about some things
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Timmie,

It sounds like you had a blast no matter.

Yes after receiving my carbon chassis this will solve a lot of suspension tuning issues. Not that the car is bad of course but it will help to be able to dial the suspension in that much better.

The chassis is only .9g lighter but is much stiffer!

I went through my TB the other night and set it up for our next race for RCGT in a couple of weeks which will be our spec rubber tires on carpet.

I'm getting closer to this thing becoming a "TB03R" as I've installed all of the carbon/plastic, titanium screw kit, aluminum balls, aluminum battery posts, I went to the aluminum out drives (which only add 1.6g ea diff) and the carbon tub that I modified so the 5000mah LiPos will sit flat in the chassis and stay put.(removed 1.5g by doing this) all in all from kit stock I've managed to take off 114g's!!! and I have more that I want to do. (Ti outter axles, carbon battery holdown, carbon rear shock tower, carbon bumper plate, Ti hinge pins, aluminum prop and gear shafts)

Right now race ready with my Calsonic R35 body I tip the scales at 1450g!

I'm looking at being under weight to allow me to add weight were I need/want it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.