Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Another noob question

OK So I changed out the front Diff and put in a one way unit. It feels extremely loose like the gears arent really touching. I took the front and back apart and re-installed them to where there wasnt any play at all and all was beautiful. Well I thought so. Now pulling the trigger the foward direction is reverse and the reverse direction is foward. UGGHH!! I am going to again take it apart and put it back the way the manual says to but what can I do about the front one way unit play? Is there any way I can tighten it. Should I just put the "stock" one back in? Also, the car is pretty loud is that normal? Loud meaning that the gears give off alot of sound but they are fine as in not stripping or getting damaged.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
Timmie,

Thank you so much for taking the time for such an informative post Little tips and tricks from someone with your experience really helps to make this hobby more enjoyable for us new guys. From your recommendations, I have put together an order from speedtech. I already had the upgraded aluminum diff assembly, so I'll be getting the ceramic diff balls and thrust assembly. I will also be picking up some of the Associated stealth lube and black grease just for good measure Assuming the stealth lube is for the diff balls, and the black grease is for the thrust bearing, what would you suggest I use to lube the diff ring and pinion gears?

FWIW, here is my current setup:
53993 Aluminum Rocker Arm Set
53999 Rocket Nut
54125 TB03 Direct Coupling
42102 TRF Special Damper Set
54052 Aluminum Propeller Shaft
54053 Aluminum Propeller Joint
54094 Aluminum Spur Gear Mount
53500 Universal Assembly Shaft Cross Joint
54076 Wheel Axles
54077 Aluminum 44mm Swing Shafts
54054 Aluminum Motor Adapter
54150 Aluminum Motor Mount
54056 Aluminum Diff Joints
51000 Servo Saver
54095 Aluminum Racing Steering Set
54097 Carbon Steering Link
54121 Aluminum Servo Saver Horn
Futaba BLS551 Servo
Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro w/ 5700kV brushless motor
Spektrum DX3R Radio with SR3520 Receiver

Can you think of anything I might be missing?

I know. pretty much overkill for a parking lot basher, but I always tend to go overboard whenever I start a new hobby (you should see my photography equipment I haven't touched in 6 months ).

Again, thank you and everyone for your time!
SoCal
No problem at all. Glad your having fun and learning new things...return the favor to someone else someday You seem to be a really nice person so I'm sure you will.

You're correct on the Associated greases and their usage. As far as grease for the diff gear and pinion, I recommend none. There isn't a need to use grease here, and all it does is add drive train drag. I've run some pretty powerful motor set ups on my TB03 and have never ran into a issue with drive gear breakage.

The current list of upgrades you have are great. The only things that you may want to purchase in the future that I don't see on your list is a Tamiya tuning spring set #49389, some of the various suspension blocks, and maybe a sway bar set. That way as your experience increases with the car, you can start to experiment with ways of fine tuning the cars driving characteristics to your particular needs.

Not pertaining to your list, but I recommend that you and your friends at some point head to a racetrack on a practice day and drive your cars there. I assume you are in SoCal You have lots of awesome tracks near by for your use. Not only would you be able to get some hands on advice by other racers there, but you would also be able to learn a lot by just driving on a real course. Then over time you could start racing. That's when it really gets additive And this is just a friendly suggestion, if you are having fun just driving the car then more power to you. But I think you will really enjoy racing your TB03 in the future. So I'm just giving you a nudge in that direction
Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by djmike
OK So I changed out the front Diff and put in a one way unit. It feels extremely loose like the gears arent really touching. I took the front and back apart and re-installed them to where there wasnt any play at all and all was beautiful. Well I thought so. Now pulling the trigger the foward direction is reverse and the reverse direction is foward. UGGHH!! I am going to again take it apart and put it back the way the manual says to but what can I do about the front one way unit play? Is there any way I can tighten it. Should I just put the "stock" one back in? Also, the car is pretty loud is that normal? Loud meaning that the gears give off alot of sound but they are fine as in not stripping or getting damaged.
Hey Mike,

The one way unit may require different left and right shimming versus the ball diff you used to have installed. With the one way unit installed in the car, take your pointer finger and thumb and grab the one way out drives. Squeeze them together and try to push the one way unit left to right in the diff case. If you have a lot of side to side play here, you will need to shim the one way to prevent this from happening.

As far as the car going in reverse instead of forward and etc. sounds like you installed the one way backwards and the rear diff backwards as well. Flip them back to how they were. With the one way installed, spinning the front wheel forwards by hand there should be no resistance and it should free spin. Spinning the front wheel backwards, it will spin the entire drive train in that direction. If the one way does not act like this, you need to flip it over.

TB03's do have some drive train noise, but it shouldn't be "loud." If you check the one way's left and right play and find it to be excessive, this is the reason for the drive train being so loud. If this is the case, you'll need to fix it soon or you will damage the drive train.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Timmie,
Thanks again for the info
Actually, I just recently purchased the tuning spring set (forgot to note it). Wouldn't mind getting an assortment of suspension blocks, but with dozens to choose from I wouldn't know where to begin
Regarding the sway bar, I was planning on getting that as well. Can you provide me with the correct numbers of the parts I would need? I know I need the bar, the stoppers, and probably some other over-priced goodies to attach them.
Its funny you mentioned visiting the local track. I drive by one everyday here in Camarillo, California, that I here is pretty good. The "Roadrunners" are the local RC group that holds the races (most likely you have heard of them). I plan on swinging by one day this week after work and check it out.
Have a good Monday!
Don (SoCal)
Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

My Build so far. Too many damn wires!! LOL This car is a jet!!!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-302_1892.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-302_1888.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-302_1890.jpg  

Last edited by djmike; 03-01-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

ciao Timmie, well came back in this post , how are you??

ciao
Max
Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
Timmie,
Thanks again for the info
Actually, I just recently purchased the tuning spring set (forgot to note it). Wouldn't mind getting an assortment of suspension blocks, but with dozens to choose from I wouldn't know where to begin
Regarding the sway bar, I was planning on getting that as well. Can you provide me with the correct numbers of the parts I would need? I know I need the bar, the stoppers, and probably some other over-priced goodies to attach them.
Its funny you mentioned visiting the local track. I drive by one everyday here in Camarillo, California, that I here is pretty good. The "Roadrunners" are the local RC group that holds the races (most likely you have heard of them). I plan on swinging by one day this week after work and check it out.
Have a good Monday!
Don (SoCal)
Yes the suspension blocks can be a little confusing at first, but once you see the way they work in relation with each other it will all make sense. I suggest you read the Andrew Kuntze article on Tamiya's site http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=412 as it breaks things down well and is good reference for the future. If you need further explanation let me know.

As far as the swar bar set goes you have a couple of options. You can purchase Tamiya #53842 which is a kit with different thickness sway bars and the mounting hardware needed to mount them to the car...minus the Tamiya blue "bling " parts.

Or you could purchase the parts individually from a TRF car (to get the pretty blue parts) that uses the same short reversible suspension (416 *actually not short suspension but same sway bars*,416WC,416X Evo5MS) And the only differences in the sway bars will be color, but the same options...small, medium and large.

Parts needed for the "bling" sway bars (from 416)* note I do not know how many pieces come in the package on these so you will need to check into that. The quanity I am listing for you is TOTAL pieces needed*

9808028 X1 - Front medium sway bar (black)
51070 X1 - Rear soft sway bar (black)
53892 X 4 - Turn buckle shaft 3X10mm
53644 X 4 - Stabilizer end
53827 X 4 Rod stopper
9805777 X 12 - 3X2.5mm grub screw ( you will need 4 of these to secure the bar against the diff cases with part 16 of A parts #51351)
53601 X 4 - Adjuster (using these you will need to cut them shorter by 5mm)
Or you can substitute 53601 for 51111 and save on having to cut anything.
And last would be 4, 3X8mm screws to hold 51351 to the diff case.

Yes I have heard of the track, I have friends that race there. Go out and give it a whirl....I'm sure you will like it
Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by djmike
My Build so far. Too many damn wires!! LOL This car is a jet!!!
Hey nice ride Mike! I bet it's a jet, looks really fast Yeah, you got a lot of wires going on there.....but hey, as long as its fast it doesn't matter
Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mtaddei
ciao Timmie, well came back in this post , how are you??

ciao
Max
Ciao Max! How have you been? Still beating up on your fellow Italians with your TB?

Doing good, just been super busy. I'm still trying to finish that Nuova Faor nitro motorcycle I might have to get your help with translations

Good to hear from you.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

Timmie,
Much thanks for the detailed info on the sway bars! You're a huge asset to this forum
Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

3rd round Tamiya Champioship Series Pics on ENERGYRACING.

http://energyracing.tripod.com
Old 03-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Timmie
Ciao Max! How have you been? Still beating up on your fellow Italians with your TB?

Doing good, just been super busy. I'm still trying to finish that Nuova Faor nitro motorcycle I might have to get your help with translations

Good to hear from you.
Ciao Timmie, always on the blocks , last week due to yung fellow that hitted me during the qualifying session only d final that i won.
The car is fantastic tnks to yr suggestion.

Feel free for any translation you need.

Ciao
Max
Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Ciao to all,

does anybody tried the 3racing carbon chassis?, how it perform? could you pls post same picture?

Tnks n best rgds
Max
Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Well I hate to do it but I think I have to sell my brand new TB03. I just purchased a new house and money is tight and time is even tighter. I figured I would check here first before I put it in the for sale section for you guys who really like the car. Anyhow, the car has been built and driven on my driveway for less than two minutes to test. The car has the box, manuals, parts, everything it came with, stock body (Nissan), HPI M3 200mm body, stock wheels tires, brand new unglued HPI radial tires and works rims (6mm and 3mm offset), not a scratch on the car plus upgrades listed:
54052 Aluminum Propeller Shaft
54053 Aluminum Propeller Joint
54094 Aluminum Spur Gear Mount
54056 Aluminum Diff Joints
Futaba BLS550 Servo
Milky blue spring set
48P 64T spur and 24T 48P pinion to get the 6.5 FDR with a Novak ballistic 8.5

I also have the brand new Novak Ballistic 8.5 I might sell for the right deal. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. I will wait a couple days then go ahead and post it in the for sale with prices and what not for everyone.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

So, I decided to make the switch, ditched my TA-05, and will be running a TB-03 this summer. I used to love my TC3, and can't wait to be giving the shaft again.

Anyways, I've seen some of you guys mention racing TCS in Maryland and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Glen Burnie race. I'm planning on going out there this summer and was wondering what their tracks are like (indoor, outdoor, carpet, asphalt, sticky, loose, tight, open, etc). Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.