Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djmike
Hopefully it will be soon. I went to his site and all 18 parts I wanted are out of stock. I just recieved my TB03 and dont want to wait too long to put it together. I want to keep money in the U.S. and also buy from someone in this community.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the support. I have a large Tamiya shipment arriving today. My UPS guy is driving around town with it. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I actually have 2 questions. I have read that some are having problems with clearance with servos. I am just staring to shop one and would like to know what you guys are using without problems.

Secondly, I have a brand new Mamba 5700kv setup that I was going to use one day for off road if the other Mamba burnt out. Can I use it in this car?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I actually have 2 questions. I have read that some are having problems with clearance with servos. I am just staring to shop one and would like to know what you guys are using without problems.

Secondly, I have a brand new Mamba 5700kv setup that I was going to use one day for off road if the other Mamba burnt out. Can I use it in this car?
It will physically fit though with that motor I think you will get some torque steer out of it. Obviously you can't race it with that speedo/motor if the track you run at has ROAR style requirements.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Initiate

I am not racing it at any tracks yet. I just got into on road and have alot to learn about it before I can even think of racing. This is a big switch from off road. Eventually I will try racing so maybe I should just keep my mamba for off road and look into something else for this car. Any suggestions with motor and speedo?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

I am not racing it at any tracks yet. I just got into on road and have alot to learn about it before I can even think of racing. This is a big switch from off road. Eventually I will try racing so maybe I should just keep my mamba for off road and look into something else for this car. Any suggestions with motor and speedo?
1) I chose the Futaba BLS551. Full size, low profile. Fits perfect, works great!
2) I also have the Mamba Max Pro with the 5700 motor. Also fits fine and works great. Granted, I just finished the build and have only run it a few times, but I don't foresee any issues.

What I have noticed, however, that running around my street it seems to have no grip. I really have to feather the throttle through the corners, pretty much resulting in a drift car. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe the slicks included in the kit aren't the best for asphalt? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SoCal
Old 01-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

The kit tires are absolute garbage. Just about anything is better. HPI X pattern pro compound, Jaco, Sorex, anything!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CSaddict
The kit tires are absolute garbage. Just about anything is better. HPI X pattern pro compound, Jaco, Sorex, anything!
Thanks for your input. If it were you, what would you buy (again, for asphalt, not organized racing; just goofing around)
I'm new to 10th scale, and appreciate the help.

Also, bought a spool for the front end; haven't got around to installing it yet. Will that help?

Thanks,

SoCal

Last edited by SoCalGuy; 01-24-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Talking Tires for asphalt

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
Thanks for your input. If it were you, what would you buy (again, for asphalt, not organized racing; just goofing around)

Also, bought a spool for the front end; haven't got around to installing it yet. Will that help?

Thanks,

SoCal
I believe Sorex 36r's would work great on asphalt. Although they do work better in warmer temps. Much-More 32r's will work better in the cooler temps asphalt. Both of these come in pre-mounts if you don't like to buy rims and inserts and glue tires.
Shop around and you can find a set of 4 around $35-$45 pre-mounted on a variety of rims and inserts.
Just my 2$
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks,

SoCal
HPI X-Patterns - D compounds are harder, less grip than the pro compounds but theoretically last longer.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=406

(scroll all the way down )
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys for the tire input; looking forward to trying something new.
Need to tear into the rear diff this weekend. After only a couple runs, it has loosened up on me. Maybe I missed something in the instructions; oh well

SoCal
Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Initiate

I saw a hop up for shorter suspension arms. Do you really need these? They are supposed to help with chassis roll. At this time I will be running on asphalt basically practicing for when/if I get on the track. After I am done this car might look to pretty to race.. LOL
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys for the tire input; looking forward to trying something new.
Need to tear into the rear diff this weekend. After only a couple runs, it has loosened up on me. Maybe I missed something in the instructions; oh well

SoCal
Tamiya diffs are notorious for loosening up. The plastic piece that captures the lock nut will distort and the nut will sink into the plastic so your adjustment will change over time. If you use the hard plastic tree set, which is a gray color instead of black this will reduce that affect. The part tree also comes with the shock ball connectors which work great also but very hard to put on and take off.
I also use a spool and I'm sold on this option and will probably never go back to diff. Direct drive is very responsive and gives a lot of forward bite, and no maintanance is a plus!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I saw a hop up for shorter suspension arms. Do you really need these? They are supposed to help with chassis roll. At this time I will be running on asphalt basically practicing for when/if I get on the track. After I am done this car might look to pretty to race.. LOL
The TB-03 already comes standard with the short suspension arms.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxepower
Tamiya diffs are notorious for loosening up. The plastic piece that captures the lock nut will distort and the nut will sink into the plastic so your adjustment will change over time. If you use the hard plastic tree set, which is a gray color instead of black this will reduce that affect. The part tree also comes with the shock ball connectors which work great also but very hard to put on and take off.
Hard plastic tree set (gray)? Are you referring to the carbon reinforced ones that are available from Tamiya?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Red face Stand corrected!

Hard plastic tree set (gray)? Are you referring to the carbon reinforced ones that are available from Tamiya?
Sorry for the confusion, I was refering to the wrong tree set. The ones with the diff pieces are the "A" parts tree(#54098) which is the reinforced plastic and the one I mentioned was the "V" parts tree (#53918)which is the low friction shock parts.
My bad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.